Characters flickering and shaking during panning scenes in movies and anime

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
OniiChan69

Characters flickering and shaking during panning scenes in movies and anime

Post by OniiChan69 » 09 Mar 2024, 03:11

When I watch content at 23.976fps with panning shots involving still objects/characters on my HP x24ih 144Hz monitor, the characters flicker and shake. For example, try watching this video on a high frame rate display. Interestingly, the video appears perfectly fine on my 60Hz smartphone.

I’ve been struggling to find a solution for this issue over the last 48 hours. I tried a couple of different things like creating a custom resolution of 119.880 Hz using CRU, adjusting response time levels, and experimenting with Madvr/mpv for smooth motion/interpolation during media playback. Unfortunately, none of these efforts yielded positive results. I also tried motion interpolation using SVP, which seems to fix the issue, but I’d prefer not to use it due to the soap opera effect and strain on my GPU.

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings I should modify in my video player configuration, Windows display properties, or Nvidia control panel to eliminate the flickering during panning scenes when watching 23.976fps content on my 144Hz monitor? I want to resolve this without resorting to software-based motion interpolation if possible. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, as this has been quite frustrating.