hdmi 2.1 via DP adapter?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GlennyPlaysStuff

hdmi 2.1 via DP adapter?

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 13 Mar 2024, 03:30

Hi,

I've recently set up triple 4k monitors, but have had to limit them down to 120Hz and disable g-sync to prevent black screen issues. I believe the black screens were mostly caused by the displays switching to DSC mode, but at 120Hz they stay below the data rate for DP.

It's not a huge deal, as it's virtually impossible to get 120fps on most games at triple 4k anyway, and I don't see any/much difference visually between 120 and 144....

...but in theory, HDMI 2.1 has a larger data rate and doesn't rely on DSC, so I should be able to set the monitors at their full rate and not worry about getting black screens (especially when tabbing out of a game)?

However, my GPU (Strix 4090 OC edition) has only 2 HDMI, but 3 DP ports.

If I were to use 3 HDMI 2.1 cables, 2 plugged straight in to the GPU, but one plugged into the GPU via a DP to HDMI adapter....will I still get the full benefit of HDMI 2.1....or will it have the limitations of the DP 1.4?

I also get the black screen issues when I try to use the bezel corrected resolution that NVidia surround sets up (which is sound 120 pixels wider than the combined res of the 3 panels)....do you think this is likely due to DSC too? or just because the res is then so wide (it's 11640x2160, instead of 11520x2160)?

GlennyPlaysStuff

Re: hdmi 2.1 via DP adapter?

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 13 Mar 2024, 06:32

Looking at this again, it seems like all of the DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters and cables seem to list a 32Gb data rate anyway, which is not hdmi2.1 spec....so I'm assuming this means that, as with most things electronic, the limitation lies with the lowest component...so if it's a DP 1.4 port....even with a HDMI 2.1 display and cable, I'll be limited to DP 1.4 spec and therefore most likely still trigger DSC.

Also, regarding the bezel corrected mode....I think that must be a separate issue to the DSC black screens.....because NVidia surround at 120Hz doesn't have the issue, but NVidia surround at bezel corrected resolution, even at 90Hz DOES have the issue still.

So I think I'll just settle for NVidia surround without the bezel correction.

I have tried the bezel-free stuff, which does sort of work, but it's very difficult to line up perfectly, and I find the slight mis-alignment and the image distortion to be more distracting that a visible bezel for the most part.