TN Monitor possible screen fix or upgrade if not?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
DV2FOX

TN Monitor possible screen fix or upgrade if not?

Post by DV2FOX » 14 Mar 2024, 00:51

I've been using a BenQ XL2420T since around 2013 until i've recently noticed a white light stroke around the screen's center-right (Looks like a Photoshop degradating default brush) but it seems i cannot post a link to the photo itself here...

My main question is if there's a fix for this issue, since it's not an obvious dead pixel

If not possible, i would be looking to replace the monitor with a newer one. My uses are gaming (DOOM ETERNAL, ALAN WAKE 2, RESIDENT EVIL, some platformers , new games to say a few) BUT i also draw on Photoshop (Not professionally) and haven't been having any kind of colour issues after a nice calibration on my monitor after getting it set up outta the box (Blacks aren't perfect but good enough)

Actual settings for reference are:

Standard (or SRGB, don't remember)
Brightness: 50~
Contrast: 56
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: 5
Color temps: R93, G97, B98

I'm aware some of these colours would look slightly washed out but i don't feel much eye strain with them compared with a high level contrasted reds/blues killing my eyes in seconds

The thing is that i've been looking through the different kinds of panels and i know it's a "pick your poison" world..

IPS: Very nice colours but blacks are a bit greyish, but worse case is IPS glow and "backlight bleeding lottery", killing the experience
VA: Smearing is a huge no
TN: Not the best colours, even after calibrated, but has a smoother experience, wich was my actual monitor's recommendation somewhere else

Options i've seen from BenQ are the ZOWIE monitors XL2411K and XL2450K. First one is 237€ and the latter 300€. For a tiny "fix" upgrade i was considering the former, but the latter has 240hz BUT some people says it might be a coil whine lottery (Not everyone mentions the manufacturing date) and i wouldn't want to live with it nor send it to BenQ and wait an eternity for something recently bought to be replaced and maybe still have the CW in the end

Any help on both options (fix and upgrade if the fix fails), please?