Vertical motion clarity appears to be vastly better than horizontal motion clarity

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Do you see it

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Only on CRT
No votes
Only on LCD
No votes
Only on Plasma
No votes
Any Interlaced signal
No votes
Any Progressive scan signal
No votes

Total votes: 1

VMA

Vertical motion clarity appears to be vastly better than horizontal motion clarity

Post by VMA » 21 Mar 2024, 18:39

I have no idea why this may be the case or whether it affects everyone.

How to try this for yourself:

Go to the UFO test page and either rotate the screen you are viewing on or the page contents with an add-on of your choice. Also try looking at the background, looking cross-eyed at the background, and looking at the FPS.

What I noticed:

As you start to rotate the screen, the UFO gets progressively clearer until it becomes the most clear when purely vertical. When rotating again past purely vertical it starts to become blurrier again until it is fully horizontal where it appears the blurriest, unless I am looking at the FPS.

What I initially thought was happening:

Perhaps somehow the way a progressive scan LCD refreshes influences the clarity unevenly in different directions, whether this is the case or not I am unsure but the same effect can be observed both by rotating the display relative to the content and the content itself which suggests this is not the case.

What I think is happening now:

It appears to be more natural to focus in the same way as you would when looking at a static element, without looking at a static element, when the scroll is vertical.

Questions:

[*]Why do you think this is happening?
[*]Does anyone else also experience it?