High polling rate CPU toll

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
chandler

High polling rate CPU toll

Post by chandler » 27 Mar 2024, 12:18

Hello,
Ive switched 2000hz to 4000hz today (also raised to 1600dpi for it) and started up cs2, I dont know if its the game or some update or just the fact that its very poorly optimized but I had ABYSMAL fps dips.

I dont play any other games to test it and/or have any installed.

from your experience how much does going from 2000hz to 4000hz hurt performance?

(my CPU is 12700kf for reference)

Also, how low do I need to go in terms of sensitivity to saturate the 4000hz? my normal sens is 800EDPI, but I can lower it to 640EDPI if needed

kyube

Re: High polling rate CPU toll

Post by kyube » 27 Mar 2024, 18:04

Windows schedules interrupts and DPCs on CPU 0 for several modules by default.
Scheduling many tasks on a single CPU can introduce additional overhead and increased jitter due to them competing for CPU time. To alleviate this, affinities can be configured to isolate given modules from disturbances including servicing time-sensitive modules on underutilized CPUs instead of clumping everything on a single CPU.
To be able to use high polling rate, you have to select the appropriate (well performing) USB drivers with the tightest DPC & ISR ranges possible (measured with xperf), along with adjusting affinities through a tool such as GoInterruptPolicy.

chandler

Post by chandler » 28 Mar 2024, 03:11

can somebody guide me through or at least explain how do I properly set up my mouse ? (USB Interrupt Affinity)
and which tool should I use for that

EDIT :

i found this :
https://www.xbitlabs.com/how-to-use-int ... licy-tool/

he recommends to bind gpu + pcie to a specific core aswell, by binding PCIE slot he means PCI-to-PCI Bridge with the same physical name both in device manager and the Interrupt Affinity tool ? attached an image below

and how do I identify my mouse ? it says in the link I should bind the whole controller ? how do I do that properly

EDIT : and will it even help with the FPS getting lower when raising from 1000 to 2/4khz?? I mean in theory it should because cs2 is cpu-bound

chandler

Post by chandler » 10 Apr 2024, 06:27

I found something strange on my main PC

cat computer gif

Can it really be that Ive got only ONE usb controller ??? how do I assign affinity for the mouse then ?

@kyube, by the way what do u mean by getting usb drivers with tightest dpc, there are no such drivers on my asus strix z690-f page