Gaming Monitor Advice [VG248QE vs MX239H, etc]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lodestar

Gaming Monitor Advice [VG248QE vs MX239H, etc]

Post by Lodestar » 07 Jan 2014, 04:50

Hi

I've been looking at low response time monitors for a while but after reading the content on this website, there seems to be a lot more variables than just Asus vs BenQ. In Australia, computer components are a lot more expensive especially displays. The VG248QE is $448 and the higher-end BenQ is $50 more. After doing more in-depth research, I've learnt about refresh rates being important for gaming. The thing is I'm really confused on what monitor to buy and what GPU to get with it. Currently I am looking at a VG248QE + 780 Jet-stream so I can upgrade to G-Sync later. An alternative to gaming monitors that I was thinking of is an Asus MX239H which is only $269. I'm fine with playing at low/medium/high settings on games such as BF4 and Star Citizen but I only want really smooth gameplay at 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gaming Monitor Advice

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 12:11

Lodestar wrote:Hi

I've been looking at low response time monitors for a while but after reading the content on this website, there seems to be a lot more variables than just Asus vs BenQ. In Australia, computer components are a lot more expensive especially displays. The VG248QE is $448 and the higher-end BenQ is $50 more. After doing more in-depth research, I've learnt about refresh rates being important for gaming. The thing is I'm really confused on what monitor to buy and what GPU to get with it. Currently I am looking at a VG248QE + 780 Jet-stream so I can upgrade to G-Sync later. An alternative to gaming monitors that I was thinking of is an Asus MX239H which is only $269. I'm fine with playing at low/medium/high settings on games such as BF4 and Star Citizen but I only want really smooth gameplay at 1080p.

Thanks in advance.
Nowadays, you also want to make sure your monitor includes a strobe backlight mode, such as:
- LightBoost
- EIZO Turbo240
- BENQ Blur Reduction
- ULMB (found in GSYNC monitors)
To understand why, see Photos: 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost

If you are very sensitive to stutters, and you want smooth gameplay in certain games such as Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4, you will want to seriously consider G-SYNC. Also, it was already G-SYNC monitors include ULMB, a strobe backlight mode. It has the ability to really smooth out stutters in a lot of those types of games. With a G-SYNC monitor, you actually get three gaming enhancements simultaneously:
(1) high refresh rates of 120Hz or 144Hz
(2) strobe backlight mode (ULMB)
(2) G-SYNC mode that eliminates stutters/tearing and reduces lag.

On the other hand, if you want to go all-out, with the best color quality (as close as possible to IPS) if it is more important than G-SYNC to you, then I would highly recommend the Eizo FG2421 monitor, with Turbo240. You get the high refresh rate and a strobe backlight, and provided you manage to run at triple-digit framerates (A Geforce 780 and tweaked game settings will allow 120fps in many last year's games, except the newest ones).

The Asus MX239H is a beautiful IPS monitor, which may be lovely for photos and work, but it would not have the motion quality enhancements now found in modern gaming monitors (e.g. you don't get high refresh rate, you don't get a strobe backlight, and you don't get G-SYNC).

Currently, Blur Busters recommends strobe-backlight models listed at List of 120Hz Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 07 Jan 2014, 12:42

Oh man, that sucks regarding the prices you have to pay. $448 for a plain VG248QE compared to $280 at Newegg. :shock: Have you considered buying your components online? I did some research and this approach makes sense from reading this forum thread.

Since you're getting a GTX 780, do you have a PSU powerful enough to handle the power consumption? You've probably looked into this already, but I'm just making sure. I just got my EVGA GTX 780 Classified today and I can't wait to install it. :)

The VG248QE is a good choice if you're planning on upgrading to G-Sync ASAP. The G-Sync Upgrade Kit will be sold soon for $199, but apparently it's still limited to customers in the US and Canada. New G-Sync-included monitors were announced to be shipped within the next two months, but we don't know how good these monitors will be nor their prices.

Chief brings up a great point - a G-Sync-enabled monitor gives you the best options for each game that you play. Can your game run at or over 100 (or 120) FPS consistently? Turn on ULMB. Erratic FPS below your refresh rate? Turn on G-Sync instead. A combination of ULMB and G-Sync would truly result in gaming nirvana, but the wait... :cry:
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

Lodestar

Post by Lodestar » 07 Jan 2014, 17:26

Okay thanks for the explanation. I think I will go with the VG248QE. In regards to graphics cards, What do I need to run at 1080p @144hz? I'm fine with the settings toned down but things like resolution and resolution scale up (Just for nVidia ). I should probably wait a bit to learn about AMD Free-Sync and Mantle because they could change a lot. And about shipping from US to Aus that is a great Idea because you save a lot but some parts like the Corsair 750D are cheaper to buy in Aus because I think the redirection service charges you based on weight. Should I wait until G-Sync gets integrated into the VG248QE or just buy the upgrade kit?

Lodestar

Post by Lodestar » 07 Jan 2014, 17:41

I'm having a look at the warranty terms for all of the manufacturers and it seems like evga is fine but gigabyte ( Motherboard), Corsair (h100i, PSU) and asus (monitor) seem to have vague warranty terms. According to this http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/01/06 ... g-nirvana/
G-sync will only be available in that new ROG Swift so looks like I will have to buy the kit.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 07 Jan 2014, 22:06

That is a very interesting link, apparently they have a prototype 4k G-Sync display in the works.

As for video cards, my GTX 760 is doing an admirable job keeping up with my VG248QE, though it definitely can't maintain triple digit framerates in more graphically intense games. If you're looking to maintain 120/144 fps at all times even in "next gen" games like Battlefield 4 or Crysis 3, a 780 or 780 Ti is definitely a good idea.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 22:14

Good link. These are the upcoming GSYNC monitors mentioned in the NVIDIA blog:

Code: Select all

Monitor Manufacturer          Model Name                Resolution       Size

ASUS                          ROG SWIFT PG278Q          2560×1440        27-inch

BenQ                          XL2720G                   1920×1080        27-inch

BenQ                          XL2420G                   1920×1080        24-inch

Philips                       272G5DYEB                 1920×1080        27-inch

ViewSonic                     VX2457GML                 1920×1080        24-inch
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 10 Jan 2014, 21:23

The problem with those 2 1080 27" monitors is that you have to be pretty far from your screen or the image will not look sharp on such a big screen. But then again 1080 is easier on your GPU than 1440 so its understandable that they would make 1080 27" and they also would cost less than other 27"
I still believe that 24" 1080 is the best solution for gaming atm until GPU double in powers though.

EDIT: in case its not clear to some, the reason why 1080 doesnt look good on a 27" its because pixel are much bigger than on a 24" so on a small desk it will look bad. Need to be a few feet away for it to look as good as a 24" with same resolution.
Last edited by SS4 on 13 Jan 2014, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.

ericl

Post by ericl » 12 Jan 2014, 23:52

I'm looking forward to the BenQ XL2420G and the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q!!

I want a 24" but it's tempting to get a beautiful 2560 resolution! Hopefully we'll get some good information about the monitors before they come out!

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 14 Jan 2014, 15:49

If you don't care about G-sync and just want zero-blur you might wanna look at the upcoming BenQ XL2420Z and XL2411Z. The 2420Z will have more features (ports, etc), but the 2411z is supposed to have an instant mode for low-as-possible input lag.