Originally interested in the BenQ XL2720Z...

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
NazcaC2

Originally interested in the BenQ XL2720Z...

Post by NazcaC2 » 07 Jan 2014, 11:46

I'm in the need of a new monitor. Currently, I'm using the Samsung 2433BW (16:10, 1920x1200) and it has been fine for the time I've had it but its panel uniformity isn't that great, color, etc. It hasn't been bad for gaming and I don't expect the quality of an IPS/PLS.

I commented on Blurbuster's Twitter feed when I saw they were going to be reviewing the XL2720Z monitor and have since been looking into user reviews either on YouTube or here on the predecessor (T and TE) since the Z is fairly new. I've been seeing a lot of things about washed out colors. There's a deal on NCIX that ends tomorrow that I've been following on the Z but I want to wait and see what Blurbuster recommends for what I'm looking for.

Interested In:

- gaming monitor
- 27 inch or 24 inch (please give me monitor recommendations per size)
- 1080p or other (only 120 pixels less than what I'm used to)
- no particular panel but I'd assume TN
- <=2ms
- >=120Hz
- low input lag
- good colors for a gaming monitor (not washed out)
- little to no motion blur

Budget = About $500.

Edit: I also own a single GTX 670 Superclocked 4GB video card and stock i7 920.
Edit2: Adaptive V-Sync is always enabled.

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Originally interested in the BenQ XL2720Z...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 14:08

NazcaC2 wrote:I'm in the need of a new monitor. Currently, I'm using the Samsung 2433BW (16:10, 1920x1200) and it has been fine for the time I've had it but its panel uniformity isn't that great, color, etc. It hasn't been bad for gaming and I don't expect the quality of an IPS/PLS.

I commented on Blurbuster's Twitter feed when I saw they were going to be reviewing the XL2720Z monitor and have since been looking into user reviews either on YouTube or here on the predecessor (T and TE) since the Z is fairly new. I've been seeing a lot of things about washed out colors. There's a deal on NCIX that ends tomorrow that I've been following on the Z but I want to wait and see what Blurbuster recommends for what I'm looking for.
The Blur Busters XL2720Z review is on hold for a little bit, due to a discovered bug. There's a fix coming, I've been talking to BENQ.

One recommendation I may have is waiting for BENQ's G-SYNC compatible version of the XL2720Z. By then, they'll likely have fixed the strobe timing bug (see http://www.blurbusters.com/benq-xl2720z ... ix-coming/ ). As much as I'd love to push people to benefit BENQ, because they sent me an XL2720Z so early (far earlier than other sites), I don't want to publish a bad review about the otherwise very flexible strobe backlight on this monitor, so I've gotten a new firmware upgrade from them, confirmed it fixes it, and am now waiting to hear back from BENQ what their plans are with the firmware. BENQ is busy at CES 2014, so it might be a week before I know the plan.

If you want to bump your budget upwards a bit, and you want to buy a faster GPU, consider the Eizo FG2421, and their Turbo240. Getting 5000:1 contrast ratio simultaneously with a bright, colorful strobe backlight is something that LightBoost can't do. Costs a pretty penny, but can be a good compromise for CRT motion clarity lovers.

If you cannot wait, a lot of the newer 120Hz monitors in the List of 120Hz monitors are excellent choices!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NazcaC2

Re: Originally interested in the BenQ XL2720Z...

Post by NazcaC2 » 07 Jan 2014, 21:46

How is the color contrast of the XL2720Z aside from the firmware issue? Also, I'm aware that the BenQ software is able to tweak the colors based on the application automatically. I'm impressed with the color quality with the VA panel in the Foris.

I don't mean to rush taking a look at this monitor, I just would like to know before the deal is up even though it is only $50. Thanks.

Also, is it worth waiting for the G-Sync models? I can't imagine the price increase.