Benq Monitors for Console Gaming (PS4)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
erikguti

Benq Monitors for Console Gaming (PS4)

Post by erikguti » 09 Jan 2014, 16:06

Hi guys, im new around here so i have to learn allot from you guys!!!!
I own a Ps4 ,im playing it with a Samsung Un55es8000 T.V. and the only games i play are all the Call of Duty!!

I Want to buy a monitor for gaming because i read they have lower input lags than Tvs and also because my girlfriend is also using my t.v. for netflix and apple tv.

I was looking in the market for a 27 monitor; the new Benq XL2720Z (144HZ)because it brings allot of options like the: Motion Blur,Gaming Refresh Rate opt. man. (grom), Low Blue Light and Etc... and also because is the last one!!!

But i read that consoles only do 60HZ !!! But i also read that image looks more fluid running a 120hz or HZ monitors in a 60hz game !!!

I have a couple of questions:
Will the Benq Motion Blur reduction work in 60 hz?
will the Gaming Refresh rate Optimization Management (GROM) work in 60hz?
will this monitor Being 144Hz will cause me lag or Lower Respons because the Ps4 runs at 60hz ?

if someone want to recomend me another monitor that is faster than this one let me know, Money is not and issue for me and today im playing in a console, tomorrow who knows if im playing in a computer at higher HZ !!!

Sorry for the bad english (english is not my native language)
Thanks for the Help,

nimbulan

Re: Benq Monitors for Console Gaming (PS4)

Post by nimbulan » 09 Jan 2014, 22:24

The PS4 will only output 60 Hz unless you're using 3D, so hooking it up to a higher refresh rate monitor is not going to help you. You will not be able to use the blur reduction at 60 Hz either. I don't actually understand what GROM is supposed to do, but from BenQ's literature it seems to be designed for 100-144 Hz operation so you probably won't be able to use that with the PS4 either.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to use a low response time monitor to cut down on input lag, and it would be a great monitor to use if you do plan on gaming on a PC in the future. If you are just going to use it with the PS4, buying a high end gaming monitor is a waste of money.

boniek

Post by boniek » 10 Jan 2014, 08:56

Don't buy pc gamer monitors for consoles. It's waste of money because consoles are not powerful enough to make use of features present on such monitor. Buy normal 60Hz monitor with low total reponse time and with panel technology of your choice. Search prad.de or tftcentral for reviews.
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
GTX 670 2GB
ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2014, 09:26

I have, however, been pushing manufacturers to try to enable optional 60Hz strobing for console playing.

They are reluctant due to the extreme flicker that a 60Hz strobe backlight would do. Which is true. Many people (myself included) cannot stand 60Hz flicker, so it won't help everyone. However, with some fine-tuning (strobe length, etc), it could produce a great experience for some people who need a small-ish console gaming display.

If the next round of consoles in the 2020's would be able to do 120Hz and/or VRR (ala GSYNC or FreeSync), that would be grand. Too bad this round of consoles just missed that opportunity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

michaelius

Post by michaelius » 10 Jan 2014, 09:41

Can't they use double frame insertion like 120/240 Hz TVs do for 60 Hz signal ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2014, 09:51

michaelius wrote:Can't they use double frame insertion like 120/240 Hz TVs do for 60 Hz signal ?
Yes, but that would add a massive amount of input lag. Frame interpolation can make a TV end up having massive amounts of input lag (e.g. 80ms total), which is quite terrible. Accurate interpolation requires frame lookahead / lookbehind, it needs knowledge of the previous and the next frame (or two), so buffering is done.

It may be possible to have the GPU do low-latency motion interpolation based on knowledge of game motion. This would lower latency.

Currently, busting motion blur, via extra true Hz, and/or via impulse driving techniques (CRT, plasma, strobe backlight), are the only ways to do excellent motion clarity without adding massive amounts of input lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

erikguti

Post by erikguti » 10 Jan 2014, 13:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
michaelius wrote:Can't they use double frame insertion like 120/240 Hz TVs do for 60 Hz signal ?
Yes, but that would add a massive amount of input lag. Frame interpolation can make a TV end up having massive amounts of input lag (e.g. 80ms total), which is quite terrible. Accurate interpolation requires frame lookahead / lookbehind, it needs knowledge of the previous and the next frame (or two), so buffering is done.

It may be possible to have the GPU do low-latency motion interpolation based on knowledge of game motion. This would lower latency.

Currently, busting motion blur, via extra true Hz, and/or via impulse driving techniques (CRT, plasma, strobe backlight), are the only ways to do excellent motion clarity without adding massive amounts of input lag.
Nimbulan and Boniek thanks for the Help i really appreciate it !!! :D

I was going to ask that question of the double frame insertion :p
Chief Blur Buster wrote:I have, however, been pushing manufacturers to try to enable optional 60Hz strobing for console playing.

They are reluctant due to the extreme flicker that a 60Hz strobe backlight would do. Which is true. Many people (myself included) cannot stand 60Hz flicker, so it won't help everyone. However, with some fine-tuning (strobe length, etc), it could produce a great experience for some people who need a small-ish console gaming display.

If the next round of consoles in the 2020's would be able to do 120Hz and/or VRR (ala GSYNC or FreeSync), that would be grand. Too bad this round of consoles just missed that opportunity.
Can a Benq XL2720Z or XL2720T Series Monitor of 122Hz or 144Hz work at 60 Hz with out the Double Frame Insertion in HDMI (pure 60HZ :p) ???

i was Hoping to find a 27 monitor:

Ive been looking into this 2 60hz Choices !!
This Benq one it says is flicker free
http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/rl2455hm
This one Also but no Flicker free
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fs2333/

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 10 Jan 2014, 14:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I have, however, been pushing manufacturers to try to enable optional 60Hz strobing for console playing.

Current consoles should have hardware support for VRR since AMD's chips have apparently had support for the last 3 generations. They would just need a software update to enable it and a compatible display so it could happen down the road.

As for backlight strobing, I don't see much use for it on consoles since rendered motion blur is so common. I admit it's been a few years since I've used a console but last time I checked there was no ability to disable features like motion blur. Is it only utilized in 30 fps games to hide the low framerate where backlight strobing wouldn't work well anyway?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2014, 14:22

nimbulan wrote:I admit it's been a few years since I've used a console but last time I checked there was no ability to disable features like motion blur. Is it only utilized in 30 fps games to hide the low framerate where backlight strobing wouldn't work well anyway?
Not the only reason, but it is indeed a major reason.
The motion blur can be used to artistic effect. Some like it, others hate it.

sofakng

Post by sofakng » 10 Jan 2014, 14:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:They are reluctant due to the extreme flicker that a 60Hz strobe backlight would do. Which is true. Many people (myself included) cannot stand 60Hz flicker, so it won't help everyone. However, with some fine-tuning (strobe length, etc), it could produce a great experience for some people who need a small-ish console gaming display.
I'm still learning about strobed backlights, but are you saying that the 60 Hz output from consoles wouldn't look good used with a strobed backlight?

I was wondering (similar to the OP), what would happen if I connect a game console to the ASUS monitor that has G-SYNC and the new ULMB technology. (using an HDMI-to-DP cable)

It sounds like the consoles would send 1080/60 and then enabling the strobing backlight would make it look awful...?