Clearest motion display, not crt

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rootsoft

Re: Clearest motion display, not crt

Post by rootsoft » 18 Nov 2014, 14:28

I found this http://www.amazon.com/FORIS-FG2421-BK-2 ... 6337984375

I was wondering if anyone can say if its better than the BenQ or Asus..

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 18 Nov 2014, 15:03

it's a good display, with good blacks and colors, but I believe it has about 10-16 ms of input lag.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 18 Nov 2014, 15:41

thizito wrote:Which one has the clearest motion, with less motion blur, fine input lag
for gaming

thinking about purchase pg278q..

using 1080p resolution hurt my eyes when i look for exact pixels..
You're are exactly looking at the right monitor: ASUS PG278Q. Its pulse width can be very short (was it 0.25ms?), 1440p, very low input lag...
thizito wrote:also, there is a way to have low motion blur without make very dark atm?
And there lies the problem. Most TN monitors have more or less the same maximum brightness, so when they strobe, at same strobe lengths they have similar brightness. The only one (which is VA and not TN) that reaches high brightness with blur reduction is the Eizo FG2421. However, it doesn't comply with your other requirements. It has much more motion blur (strobe length of 2.1ms, unadjustable) and as spacediver said, 10-16 ms of input lag.
Perception of brightness depends a lot on ambient lighting. If you get that ASUS, try playing in a dark room or mostly at night. I'm using my BenQ XL2411Z in a completely dark room right now, using Lightboost (1.4ms, and I was playing in 3D a while ago) and it's too bright for me :lol: . 0.5ms in the darkness feels completely right.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Nov 2014, 21:06

Masterotaku:
I have a challenge for you ;)

can you get 125hz lightboost or 1155 VT lightboost working between 121 to 125hz refresh rate?

Maybe change timings to 48/3, 32/5 (porch, sync), 2080,1155 (instead of 2200/1155?).

After all these tests I did to test Benq's "GROM" (which seems to ONLY work on directX 10+ games and only applies to 640x480 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024), time for you to relieve my pain and suffer a little bit :twisted:

flood

Post by flood » 18 Nov 2014, 22:25

thizito wrote:Which one has the clearest motion, with less motion blur, fine input lag
for gaming
right now, those three things can only be simultaneously acheived by running a game at >400fps on a >100hz crt

for lcd displays, using strobing (aka lightboost/ulmb/benq blur reduction/whatever) to reduce eye-tracking related input lag adds additional input lag (half a screen refresh period for the center of the screen). this amount is probably only barely noticeable to a few percent of people, and most people should not be affected by it.

to get clear motion, you need either vsync, which causes shit loads of input lag; gsync, which doesn't work together with strobing right now; or really high fps (>400), which still causes the screen to tear but not to noticeably.

so if you want clear motion and no motion blur, use vsync'd double buffering + some strobed lcd
if you want clear motion and no input lag, use gsync and a fps cap if necessary
if you want no blur and no input lag, crt is the only way

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2014, 11:34

The minor lag caused by strobing is caused by waiting for the panel to finish refreshing in dark, before flashing the backlight, once per refresh cycle. CRT does not have this type of lag. The lag penalty for LCD strobing is only about 3-4ms, though depending on what types of games you play and your gameplay tactics, the faster reaction time from clearer images, can more than compensate (provided the screen is not too dim). For lag critical situations, you can simply disable the blur reducing strobe mode.

A clarification note, about clarity during VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF is exactly the same for strobed LCD and for CRT. You can achieve clear motion with VSYNC ON or with ultrahigh framerates of VSYNC OFF -- it applies equally for both strobed LCD and for CRT. This is because there are a lot of microstutters ("jittery motion") when running VSYNC OFF on either CRT or strobed LCD, and microstutter visibility is amplified when motion is extremely clear. To compensate for that, you want to use an overkill of framerate, such as over 300fps+ on 100Hz+, whether it be CRT or strobed LCD or other impulse-driven display (e.g. future rolling-scan OLED).

Tomorrow's low persistence rolling-scan OLED has the potential to simultaneously achieve blurless and lagless, like a CRT. This is sort of a Blur Busters holy grail at the moment.

If lag isn't important, then both the BENQ Z-Series and the ASUS ROG PG278Q are among the lowest-blur monitors on the market, both of which are capable of being adjusted to sub-millisecond strobe lengths.

Unfortunately, backlight does become dim at these short strobe duty cycles. Tomorrow's monitors should ideally have much brighter backlights, to allow a brighter low-persistence picture -- there is no reason why this can't happen eventually; as LEDs are nowadays bright enough for baseball stadium lighting and street lighting! CRTs are super duper bright at 5,000cd/m2 at the electron gun beam spot, to compensate for the darkness between refreshes. You literally need to blast out all those photons during the short strobe, to achieve a reasonable average brightness.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 26 Nov 2014, 18:39

And what about LG 24GM77? I heard that is has better max. brightness, no one still reviewed it and their motion 240 mode on blurbusters. It has top input lag (like Asus) and reaction times, good colors and very favorable review on prad.
Things it lack is freesync/gsync and 8bit but it seems, Acer with 8bit doesn't necessary have better colors after reading prad (but I guess it may have lower visible dithering/shimmering so better for eye).