Sony Playstation 3D Display is actually a 120 Hz VA monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
johnsushant

Sony Playstation 3D Display is actually a 120 Hz VA monitor

Post by johnsushant » 22 Dec 2014, 09:36

While most of you may not be familiar with the existence of such a product, Sony in 2011 released a display by this name(http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessori ... splay-ps3/).
This display could be acquired for as low as $99 on Newegg for a refurbished model at one point of time. It can still be acquired for rather cheap.
This display is infamous to be riddled with a million quality problems with many people reporting their display unusable within 1-3 months.

Does this display actually do 120Hz?
Well the panel sure can. It uses a Sharp panel with the model no. LK235D3HA0S. This is a PVA panel with 120Hz capability. (http://www.panelook.com/LK235D3HA0S_SHA ... 17515.html)
Whether this display can actually take 120Hz input from a PC is something I cannot test.

How did I find this?
I was looking into a Chinese 144Hz VA Monitor by the name HKC X3. It boasts of the panel listed above. The panel is also supposed to have fantastic colour reproduction from what I could understand from the Chinese reviews of this product. While looking for products that actually use the said panel, I ended up finding this. It is still mind-boggling that this product existed in the year 2011 and most people probably still didn't know what it was capable of.

If someone has this display, can you please run tests of the actual capabilities of it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Sony Playstation 3D Display is actually a 120 Hz VA moni

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2014, 09:42

There's a lot of hidden gems on the display industry, including HDTVs overclockable to 120Hz (HDTV 120Hz Refresh Rate HOWTO), to a few displays that successfully overclocked unexpectedly high, in the Overclocking forums.

I've never heard of this 144Hz display, however... If anyone has it; I'd love to know if it is really VA, since a lot of chinese TN panels in chinese monitors are often mislabelled as VA or IPS, but ended up dissapointing. Occasionally, there's a gem, like the Skyworth that overclocked really high.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

johnsushant

Re: Sony Playstation 3D Display is actually a 120 Hz VA moni

Post by johnsushant » 22 Dec 2014, 09:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There's a lot of hidden gems on the display industry, including HDTVs overclockable to 120Hz (HDTV 120Hz Refresh Rate HOWTO), to a few displays that successfully overclocked unexpectedly high, in the Overclocking forums.

I've never heard of this 144Hz display, however... If anyone has it; I'd love to know if it is really VA, since a lot of chinese TN panels in chinese monitors are often mislabelled as VA or IPS, but ended up dissapointing. Occasionally, there's a gem, like the Skyworth that overclocked really high.
I have heard the HKC X3 mentioned here and on hardforum.com
No English reviews exist for it so I can't really help you with that. It seems rather legit though (http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... id=2&q=hkc)
I was also the person who posted about the "IPS" 144hz EQD display.

I am busy looking for an inexpensive 120Hz monitor(for CS:GO), but the cheapest ones cost Rs. 22,000($350) in my country so I am stuck with that.
I currently use an overclocked to 80Hz Benq GL2450(limit seems to be at 83hz at any resolution). I have also considered coming up with a DIY strobing solution for it if it can make my game look better.