Benq XL2430T Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
LaskoAA

Re: Benq XL2430T Settings

Post by LaskoAA » 25 Mar 2017, 10:20

Hi All,

I have owned the XL2430 for about 3 weeks now and was initially frustrated like a lot of people in this thread. What I noticed is that there are so many options and variations for settings which is great for allowing the user to tweak the monitor to their liking while at the same time can be frustrating for other users who just want to plug and play.

With that said, I found the sweet spot on my XL2430 and I'm starting to love it now. Keep in mind that I don't like my monitors to be super bright so if the below doesn't work for you, adjust the brightness up to your liking before making other changes.

My settings are below:

World of Warcraft:

Blur Reduction: Off
Picture Mode: Standard
Display Mode: Full
Black eQualizer: 1
Color Vibrance: 8
Low Blue Light: 1
Instant Mode: On
Auto Game Mode: Off
Brightness: 22
Contrast: 39
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: 5
Color Temperature: Normal
AMA: High
DynamicContrast: 0

Battlefield 1:

Same exact settings as the above, except for the Black Equalizer which you should set to 13.

Hope that helps!

-

xFinity.TM

Post by xFinity.TM » 04 Nov 2017, 20:16

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad that I found this forum. I don't know how much frustrated I am. I bought XL2430T about 2 years ago. I mostly played CSGO.
I've been so frustrated as I was playing mostly on 1280x768 resolution in game but the graphic was so blury. I was not able to set this up. I watched a lot of movies how to setup monitor, even watched how PROs are setting it up but I gave up at the end as I didn't see any difference between 60Hz and 144Hz.

Now i decided to give it a try once again and boom, I found you guys. Please do accept my apologies if I will ask stupid questions or my post will make you annoyed, but I have red this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2467 amd I need to say that most of the things are not clear for me.

So I read the current topic and I quite understand what you are saying and I tried to apply some changes to my monitor however, I stuck.
So I applied VT1500 tweak and once I hit test my monitor has gone crazy:
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG (123.35 KiB) Viewed 8201 times
So I checked what firmware I'm running and this is what I see on my BenQ:
IMG_2886.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG (99.81 KiB) Viewed 8201 times
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just my monitor is kind of not working properly. Could you please guys explain me how can I set this up. Please please do make this clear for me.

I will appreciate any help.

Regards,
Luke J.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Nov 2017, 20:32

Did you add VT1500 via ToastyX CRU? Vertical Total tweaks are not for the faint of heart -- to uninstall it, run ToastyX "reset-all.exe".

Vertical Total tweaks is hard to get working correctly with scaled modes
Vertical Total tweaks can go beserk with certain things such as display scaling, and is a little unpredictable depending on specific model.
Vertical Total tweaks do help BenQ/Zowie Blur Reduction, and if you use Vertical Total tweaks, the VT1350 tweak is much safer/easier than VT1500. For more info on that, see http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility

Life is easier without scaled modes
BTW, I suggest upgrading GPU and playing at 1920x1080 instead of 1280x768. It's easy to cheaply upgrade the GPU to the point where 1920x1080 vs 1280x768 makes no frame rate difference. This is what I currently advise for CS:GO players still currently playing at 1280x768 as limiting yourself to that creates more problems than it is worth, especially since >300fps-capable GPUs for CS:GO has fallen to cheap prices now (achievable at prices cheaper than a typical "Better Than 60Hz" monitor). You might want to upgrade GPU and forget about low-rez.

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xFinity.TM

Post by xFinity.TM » 04 Nov 2017, 20:40

Thank you for your answer.

I was trying to add custom resolution via nVidia Panel
And I'm using GTX 1070 :) Resolution 1280x768 is just a habbit. Nothing with FPS in game :)

I will try to use ToastyX :)
Many thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Nov 2017, 21:30

Delete that resolution from NVIDIA Custom Resolution, your mode should go back to normal. VT tweaks usually work better in CRU than in NVIDIA Custom Resolution.

If you play with VT tweaks, they work easier without scaling.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xFinity.TM

Post by xFinity.TM » 05 Nov 2017, 04:05

@Chief Blur Buster

I want to thank you for all your advices so fa. Your help is much appreciated.
Checked this linke: https://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/ and Strobe Utility does not work with XL2430T :(

What I've done so far. I downloaded nVidia Patcher and install it:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... ck-Patcher

I removed custom resolution in nVidia panel and went straight to Toasty CRU

Few questions
1. Now I've used Toasty to create resolution (have it visible on "Detailed Resolution" in Toasty CRU). However, clicking OK does nothing.
How can I activate that ?

EDIT: Ok i found what I did wrong :) And I could use VT1500 without any issues now :)))

2. What monitor setting shall I use with VT1500

3. If I'd like to create 1440x900 for CSGO what values shall I use with VT1500 trick.

Once again I'd like to thank you for all your help.

Regards,
Luke J.

xFinity.TM

Post by xFinity.TM » 05 Nov 2017, 04:34

Quick info:

I ran this test: https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk and i can see a lot of ghosting :(( it is veeeery bad.
How can I fix this ? Strobe Utility does not work for this monitor.

Regards,
Luke

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Nov 2017, 11:43

You can use the Service Menu and adjust "Area" setting while viewing http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk in full screen mode. Adjusting "Area" will shift the crosstalk zone upwards/downwards. Adjust the BenQ/Zowie "Area" setting in Service Menu, until the middle of your screen is clearest.

With Blur Reduction enabled -- you will still have a bit of strobe crosstalk at top/bottom, but with a Large Vertical total, you get a bigger vertical height of clear near-crosstalk-free image (becoming equal to roughly "Average" on the Blur Busters Strobe Crosstalk FAQ). The Large Vertical Total trick essentially allows you to "thin" the crosstalky zone at top/bottom edges and "widen" (vertically) the center of your screen to near-crosstalk-free status. (Once you've properly adjusted the "Area" setting in Service Menu, or "Crosstalk" setting in Strobe Utility)

1. You have to reboot or use "restart64.exe". Which I think you already did.
2. You've successfully added VT1500 for 1080p mode, if you have a picture now and your are using VT1500. This will make it easier to remove more strobe crosstalk (double-image effects during Blur Reduction). Since Strobe Utility doesn't support XL2430T, you can still go to the Service Menu to adjust "Area" instead.
3. Usually we can't easily help with large vertical totals with scaled resolutions, but we can give general advice (once you fully understand the purpose of the numbers in the Custom Resolution Utility), see below:

About using Large Vertical Totals to improve strobe crosstalk on scaled resolutions
It's much easier without scaling. When used with scaling, it is more complicated and very monitor dependant -- it is something you have to experiment yourself with the correct math calculations on the numbers. We can only easily give advice for unscaled resolutions (1080p) but you can transfer between sync & active, keeping totals identical -- that's the best way to preserve -- for every 1 you subtract
from sync, add 1 to porch (either front or back. I advise you to spend a few days getting familiar with the concept of Video Timings & Resolutions -- Custom Resolution Utility Glossary, and the concept of video signals first, before trying with scaled.

Generally, 90% to 99%+ of gaming monitor users don't need to worry about figuring this sort of stuff out.

xFinity.TM

Post by xFinity.TM » 06 Nov 2017, 13:14

Hi,

Once again big big thanks for all your efforts and advices. I do really appreciate that.
I think is time to give up some old habbits and I've decided to use native 1920x1080 resolution in game so there will be no scaling :)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:We can only easily give advice for unscaled resolutions (1080p) but you can transfer between sync & active, keeping totals identical -- that's the best way to preserve -- for every 1 you subtract
from sync, add 1 to porch (either front or back. I advise you to spend a few days getting familiar with the concept of Video Timings & Resolutions -- Custom Resolution Utility Glossary, and the concept of video signals first, before trying with scaled.

I will read through that and in case of any problems I will ask for help but I agree trying is best method :)

For now i see, while running ufotest in fullscreen, crosstalk on first 3 lines from top and 6 lines from bottom. rest is clear or almost clear

Regards,
Luke

xFinity.TM

Post by xFinity.TM » 06 Nov 2017, 14:41

I've made some experiments, and I need to say that in game graphic is much much better, much sharper :)
But I still have some questions:

Chief Blur Buster wrote:you can still go to the Service Menu to adjust "Area" instead
- you mean MENU -> Game Settings -> Blur Reduction -> Area

2. What corelation Area to Intensity should look like ? Does it even matter what is the value of Intensity ?

3.Is it possible to adjust remaining top/bottom to "average" crosstalk or even fully remove it ?

As I said I understand now much more than before and I won't be using scaled resolution. Many many thanks for all your help.