Benq XL2430T Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benq XL2430T Settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Nov 2017, 15:47

xFinity.TM wrote:What corelation Area to Intensity should look like ? Does it even matter what is the value of Intensity ?
Intensity is Persistence. Same thing on most BenQ/Zowies.

Adjusting Intensity up/down will adjust strobe length. Your monitor is fully adjustable persistence -- It is a tradeoff between motion clarity and brightness. Usually, you don't need to adjust it downwards since most people aren't bothered by the persistence difference of 1ms strobe flash versus 2ms strobe flash. In Blur Reduction (which is a strobe backlight that flahes once per refresh to reduce motion blur) -- lower Intensity is shorter flashes. It's dimmer but it's also lower persistence.

It applies to tiny fine details during ultra-fast panning motion. It can mean the difference between reading street name labels, versus not reading street name labels, during TestUFO Panning Map Test at 3000 pixels/second (a blurry mess on 60Hz monitors and non-strobed mode, but perfectly readable on your BenQ/Zowie monitor at lower persistence settings!). Run TestUFO Panning Map Test in full screen mode, adjust "Intensity" while reading the street name labels, you'll notice that lower intensity creates sharper text but also dims the screen. At 3000 pixels/second in the Panning Map Test, your human eyes can tell apart 0.5ms persistence and 1ms persistence!

You're seeing "Blur Buster's Law" in action; of "1ms equals 1 pixel of motion blurring during 1000 pixels/second motion".

However, below around ~2ms persistence, it is usually not worth dimming you screen to get better persistence. However, if the picture is already too bright at 100% Intensity,then it's advantageous to dim using "Intensity" (instead of normal "Brightness" setting) -- to gain lower persistence (shorter strobe lengths) when you're wanting to dim your screen anyway. If you're wanting to reducing brightness of a bright-strobe-backlight-model (e.g. DyAc models are much brighter), then adjusting Intensity downwards gives you improved persistence while dimming your screen.

You should adjust Intensity and Area independently of each other. They do have very minor interaction, but extremely minor. Lower intensity values will widen the crosstalk-free band and thin the crosstalky band -- but only by a few percent in height (usually only about 10% the height of the monitor). The "Area" setting has a much huger effect in adjusting strobe crosstalk.
xFinity.TM wrote:I've made some experiments, and I need to say that in game graphic is much much better, much sharper :)
Glad you got VT1500 + Area settings calibrated. It definitely does look much better visually when you adjust Vertical Totals (CRU) + Area (monitor menu) together, far less double-image effects.

--> If you get lots of microstutters during Blur Reduction -- use VSYNC ON with strobing for your non-lag-critical games (e.g. RTS and offline gameplay, etc). And get the best, smoothest gaming mouse you can get to eliminate mouse microstutters. That will allow super-smooth "TestUFO-smooth" motion in your games if you can sustain full framerates. Use a slightly lower refresh rate (e.g. 100Hz) if necessary for easier VSYNC ON framerate-refreshrate matching. (since 100fps@100Hz looks better strobed than 100fps@120Hz)

--> If you need to reduce lag, and use strobing for competitive and need to use VSYNC OFF, then to use as much framerate as possible (e.g. 300fps+ @ 120Hz) to reduce the strobe-amplified microstuttering as much as you can, while having low lag. The more framerate overkill, the better for strobed VSYNC OFF.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xFinity.TM

Re: Benq XL2430T Settings

Post by xFinity.TM » 08 Nov 2017, 12:19

@Chief Blur Buster

Thank you once again for all you advices and help.
You wouldn't believe but I just realised that when I turn off monitor backlight is still glowing !!

I contacted BenQ support and will be sendig it to service soon.
I've requested firmware update when the will be repairing it (unles they send me new one)

Regards,
Luke J.