Benq XL2430T Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
CybeRFernandes

Re: Benq XL2430T Settings

Post by CybeRFernandes » 09 Feb 2015, 08:45

Oh i see, i misunderstood, since in this XL2430T you have the values Area/Intensity in the OSD menu, i don't pay attention to the values on the service menu but i'll take a look as fast as i can and see what i can do.

icewilly

Post by icewilly » 09 Feb 2015, 17:29

So I see some talk in this thread about CS:GO, so I'll ask my question here.

I had an ASUS VQ, but the thing torched my eyes and I had to return it. I want to move to the Benq's so the PWM isn't so bad, I am considering 2411Z, 2420Z, and 2430T.

I am not certain i'll use the strobing functionality, but I want it there just in case. I have no use for 3D whatsoever. Build quality and stuff is important, but mostly I am interested in matching the colors as best I can. There seem to be many great ICC profiles for the 2420Z (I know they are all the same panel), and I realize that each monitor is slightly different for perfection. A lot of the main review sites either did not review the 2430T or were not able to make ICC profiles for it due to hardware issues.

I like the idea of quickly changeable monitor presets, and while I realize the separate wheel/switch is silly, it will be handy for me.

The main reason I want the 2430T is for the built in BlurReduction 2.0, but more importantly the OSD saturation controls. I turn up the saturation when playing CS:GO, and have a desktop app that I use to toggle the Nvidia Digital Vibrance settings. If i can roll these settings into my monitor presets that would be nice as well. Plus it would help keep the settings straight when bouncing between presets for different games/desktop etc.

I see comments about the vibrance settings here, is there anything i should be concerned about? Should I use my desktop app, or will the monitor controls be better for blacks, etc?

Any other overall thoughts about this monitor for CS:GO, in contrast to the 2411Z or 2420Z when considering my desire for the saturation settings? It's not a requirement but would be nice. Is it ~$100 more nice? I don't know.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Feb 2015, 17:43

Here's the thing you need to know.

In the days of Analog (CRTs), most of the monitor color adjustments were done in the monitor itself. Every possible color tone, hue, saturation, etc, could be adjusted either digitally or through potentiometers, like adjusting the RGB channels, etc.

When LCD monitors that had analog connections came out, instead of pots and the like, you could adjust stusff lik ethe RGB "gain"s and "offsets" to get the exact saturation and hue balances you wanted. You may notice that in the Benq Z series "factory menu" (service menu #2), these settings are still there, but they only work in VGA (analog) mode.

The reason that these settings are NOT available through DVI or DP/HDMI is because of a very simple reason:
They are digital and all of these settings that used to be adjusted through the monitor itself, are now handled by the video card drivers. So all of the previous settings like color gain, hue/saturation, some gamma and other settings, and so on, are usually expected to be adjusted digitally through the video card, while only the basic color channels, gamma (sometimes), sharpness, brightness, contrast, etc, are done through the monitor (with extra settings still through the video card CP).

Yes the 2430T does have a vibrance setting now, which the Z series don't have, however this setting affects black/white crush, while the Nvidia setting in its drivers doesn't do this as much. So it's up to you which one will give you the best settings. Keep in mind that this setting is basically an 'automated' type of setting; you can get the same settings by changing the channels, hue and saturation and gamma balances for each channel through the drivers manually.

Benq blur reduction 2.0 is no different than 1.0, although strobe duty now has a shorter range of 1-25, and the values are 'reversed' from the Z series, which sort of makes sense since this is called "intensity" in the OSD (still called strobe duty in the service menu). Highest intensity-most blur reduction effect (dimmest screen); lowest intensity= least amount of blur reduction. Just the adjustments for strobe duty and strobe phase are now available on the OSD, while in the Z series, they were only available through the service menu.

Lightboost (3d vision 2) was removed in the 2430T, and some people still prefer having Lightboost available for some 2D fast scrolling games.

icewilly

Post by icewilly » 09 Feb 2015, 18:39

Do the settings now available in the OSD make them eligible to be included in the preset profiles whereas before they were not?

I am fully expecting to have 2-3 configurations I swap between frequently, and I would imagine these would include lightboost settings as well (or i would like them to be able to at least). One of the reasons I am looking at the 2430T is simply to have the maximum amount of options rolled into the configurations as possible, since I don't want to adjust monitor settings (after I have found my optimals) through the OSD/Service menu's on a daily basis.

If the strobe/phase duty adjustments are something i am likely to want different between say Windows Desktop and a twitchy shooter, and the service menu settings do not change with the presents... then maybe I need to go the 2430T route.

I simply have not used Lightboost/Blur Reduction before to know if its something that most users will want to disable when not in game. I would have assumed so.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Feb 2015, 19:04

No idea, I have a 2720Z. Sorry :(

icewilly

Post by icewilly » 09 Feb 2015, 19:10

Well I would assume the 2720z has the same enough firmware that it would transfer (at least for the 2420z). Do the service menu settings link to saved configs? Or do you find you are adjusting settings manually through the service menu on a daily basis?

I guess i'm trying to figure out which settings I might want to change between a game and desktop environment, that do NOT track with the customizeable configurations. Since I really don't want to go into the service menu's that often.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Feb 2015, 22:22

On all Z series, Service menu settings do not relate to any OSD saved config settings. Nothing in the service menu has anything to do with the OSD settings. Gamer profiles and presets do not save Hotplug detect, strobe duty, strobe phase or single strobe on/off or the internet café and logo settings.

I have no idea if area and intensity (strobe phase and strobe duty) are saved on display presets or gamer profiles on the XL2430T.

CybeRFernandes

Post by CybeRFernandes » 10 Feb 2015, 09:48

Hey icewilly,

I'm a XL2430T owner, as you could have seen from my previous posts. I've posted my personal settings in this thread, even though i'll be updating them since i'm now using a VT Tweak with the help of Falkentyne and Pinobot. You'll be more than happy with the xl2430t, build quality it's amazing, you can achieve good color accuracy and i've previously posted an .ICC profile made by the guys over displaylag.com which it's absolutely well balanced. The intensity/area settings (duty and phase) in this model will be saved on the profile you set it to save and not on the monitor overall settings.

I'm a cs:go player myself (legendary eagle if you're willing to know) and i've got 3 different profiles on my monitor, 1 for general use, 1 for games and 1 specific for cs:go in which i have blur reduction, color vibrance etc. I'm aware that you'd be better of using nVidia digital vibrance settings since the color vibrance onboard settings seem to crush black/white levels (as stated by Falkentyne) but it is not noticeable on cs which makes me prefer the fast profile change by only pressing a button.

icewilly

Post by icewilly » 10 Feb 2015, 10:26

Thanks Falken/Cyber. I appreciate the feedback, and was glad to know there are some decent icc profiles around. Also that's great information about the duty/phase settings. Precisely what I was looking for. Please do keep us updated with your settings, as i am sure I'll be following in your footsteps in the near future with my tweaking. I'll be new to VT tweaks and blur reduction in general, so no amount of detail is too much.

Your saved profile setup is how I'll have mine as well. Typically the "presets" photo/movie etc on monitors are always so terrible I avoid them. I'll probably want an everyday setting, a night setting, and a CS:Go setting. I assume my everyday could double for the very few other games I play. Hopefully I can adjust everything I need to.

It sucks to pay ~$120-150 more for the 2430T over the 2411Z for these settings conveniences, but if I use this thing daily for the next 5 years at least... small price to pay.

CybeRFernandes

Post by CybeRFernandes » 10 Feb 2015, 14:01

I had the exact same "problem" about 3 weaks ago when i was planning on buying the new monitor. Couldn't decide myself on whether buying the xl2411z or the new xl2430t. All i can say is that've made the best choice even though i had to pay a bit extra. It's the same panel and all that which means it'll do about the same as the xl2430t if you have the firmware v2 but in which concerns to looks, the xl2411z lacks the "premium" factor, it doesn't have the s-switch (you'll never touch the screen buttons with this), in the xl2430t you get the headphone stand, audio/micro jacks built-in as well as 3.0 USB ports. Its a definitely a premium worth your money ;)