Benq XL2430T Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Erecshyrinol

Re: Benq XL2430T Settings

Post by Erecshyrinol » 23 Aug 2016, 16:45

Falkentyne wrote:You need to follow the instructions on the Linux thread here.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=200

Basically the "bus" is the video port bus number where the monitor sits on.
Depending on how many ports your video card has it could be on any number of port values. On my laptop, the VGA port the Benq was attached to was port 1.
On my Radeon 290X, the DVI port was port 5.
I have not tried flashing it through displayport.
Thanks, I'll study this. The file should be available within a few days, as soon as I meet up with my friend and his ubuntu laptop.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 23 Aug 2016, 20:09

Erecshyrinol, if you want to be the hero of the day, can you tell me if the blur reduction AMA toggles and the "bug toggle" AMA for blur reduction disabled, happen to work on your XL2430T?

One person tested this and couldn't get them to work, but his English was quite poor so maybe he didn't understand me.
You can see what I'm talking about in my sticky thread.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

make sure you have TestUFO alien invasion opened in chrome with hardware acceleration enabled.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

I explain in the sticky how to do the AMA toggles. The one for blur reduction on is easy. (just set AMA to high or overwrite the AMA setting AFTER blur reduction is enabled). The one for blur reduction disabled is more tricky, as it requires doing it for blur reduction enabled first, and then switching into a preset that has MBR disabled.

And the XL2430T seems to handle presets differently than the Z Series monitors.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 25 Aug 2016, 06:58

Falkentyne wrote:Erecshyrinol, if you want to be the hero of the day, can you tell me if the blur reduction AMA toggles and the "bug toggle" AMA for blur reduction disabled, happen to work on your XL2430T?

One person tested this and couldn't get them to work, but his English was quite poor so maybe he didn't understand me.
You can see what I'm talking about in my sticky thread.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

make sure you have TestUFO alien invasion opened in chrome with hardware acceleration enabled.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

I explain in the sticky how to do the AMA toggles. The one for blur reduction on is easy. (just set AMA to high or overwrite the AMA setting AFTER blur reduction is enabled). The one for blur reduction disabled is more tricky, as it requires doing it for blur reduction enabled first, and then switching into a preset that has MBR disabled.

And the XL2430T seems to handle presets differently than the Z Series monitors.
The AMA bug works just fine. The improvement is drastic. There is still a faint inverse ghosting trail, but it's nowhere near the inky blot of the normaI "high" setting, which is honestly almost indistinguishable from "premium". Now you have a pretty normal, reasonable overdrive, comparable to other monitors.

The XL2720 "AMA Low" toggle does not work however.

There's a caveat though. Every XL2430/2430T user should always use the "Standard" picture mode. Under every other mode, the "Color Vibrance" option crushes the everliving crap out of darker colors. Lagom Black Level test is near vacant. Only under Standard, and only when "Color Vibrance" is set to 10 will the monitor provide the entire range and work like a normal monitor should. So with this in mind, when you are finished with the AMA bug procedure, switch back to "Standard" instead of sticking to a "Gamer" profile. The bug works just fine whatever profile you use.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 25 Aug 2016, 08:19

I have a strange issue with this monitor. Certain content just looks godawful. It's like there's something that looks like sharpen filter or severe JPEG artifacts covering some content. Very noticeable on youtube -- especially on lower resolution videos with lots of compression artifacts. This monitor makes them look even worse than they should. It's really difficult to explain.

It becomes very odd. Take a look at this picture, for example.

To the right is the screenshot of the normal sized icon. To the left is the same screenshot enlarged in photoshop.

Look at the enlarged image. If you pay attention to the edge of the .txt page icon in the folder, you'll see that it's slightly sharper than it should be and that there's ugly blots of black along the edge. Also, if you look at the binding of the notepad icon, you will notice some unwanted noise like a few pink pixels and a rough yellow outline.

Now take a look at the normal sized icon. These rough details shouldn't be there - it should be nice and smooth. But on this monitor it isn't - all the crap is still there. That's why I've zoomed in on the picture in Photoshop to rule out the possibility that the monitor itself is adding these details through some sort of processing. But no, they are still there. It's like where a different monitor would "censor" them out and they would only become visible by zooming in like I did, but this one doesn't. If this was indeed always there, I never noticed it with my VA monitor.

It just doesn't look like something dithering would do. It's sharpening certain details for no reason at all.

And speaking of dithering, some gradients blend together so obviously that it's like the monitor is not even trying to dither. Or it's dithering in huge blocks that look like added JPEG artifacts where they shouldn't be.

I've tried DVI, I've tried DisplayPort, I've tried adjusting Color Vibrance and Black Equalizer, I've tried turning off Instant Mode, hell, I've tried tons of things that shouldn't have any impact like AMA settings. No matter what I do, it looks the same. Is this actually normal behavior for this panel?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 25 Aug 2016, 09:32

Erecshyrinol wrote:
To the right is the screenshot of the normal sized icon. To the left is the same screenshot enlarged in photoshop.

Look at the enlarged image. If you pay attention to the edge of the .txt page icon in the folder, you'll see that it's slightly sharper than it should be and that there's ugly blots of black along the edge. Also, if you look at the binding of the notepad icon, you will notice some unwanted noise like a few pink pixels and a rough yellow outline.

Now take a look at the normal sized icon. These rough details shouldn't be there - it should be nice and smooth. But on this monitor it isn't - all the crap is still there. That's why I've zoomed in on the picture in Photoshop to rule out the possibility that the monitor itself is adding these details through some sort of processing. But no, they are still there. It's like where a different monitor would "censor" them out and they would only become visible by zooming in like I did, but this one doesn't. If this was indeed always there, I never noticed it with my VA monitor.
I'm not following your diagnostic logic at all. If those artifacts are generated by the monitor, how would they be saved as part of the image information in the larger image? When you take a screenshot, it doesn't save monitor artifacts into the image. How could it?

Moreever, I see those artifacts in both the large and small images.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 25 Aug 2016, 11:14

spacediver wrote: I'm not following your diagnostic logic at all. If those artifacts are generated by the monitor, how would they be saved as part of the image information in the larger image? When you take a screenshot, it doesn't save monitor artifacts into the image. How could it?

Moreever, I see those artifacts in both the large and small images.
Well, that's my point exactly. I did this precisely to prove that the monitor (or GPU) is not the cause. Perhaps I could have worded it better. I am aware that the artifacts are part of the original image, it's just that in their original size, they are not visible (or at least, not nearly as visible) on my other monitor.

My assumption is that it's a driver issue of some sort. That the monitor is triggering something in AMD drivers or Windows itself that is causing this stuff to be more apparent. Perhaps this pronounced banding is why certain tiny details are too sharp -- sounds like something is compressing the gamut of the screen. Or perhaps this is simply how this panel behaves.

Which monitor do you have?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 25 Aug 2016, 11:17

I have an FW900 (crt).

I can clearly see the artifacts in both images. In the small image, the colored noise (pink) is harder to make out, but it's definitely visible.

The fact that you can clearly see the artifacts in both images might actually mean that the monitor is sharper and better at reproducing fine details.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Aug 2016, 12:45

Red to blue will always show the most amount of alignment issues, due to the RGB Stripe TN panels use.

Some more information over here:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

And here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering

White OLED subpixel layouts on a 2016 LG display is
http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg. ... d=30577134

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 25 Aug 2016, 14:36

Erecshyrinol wrote:My assumption is that it's a driver issue of some sort. That the monitor is triggering something in AMD drivers or Windows itself that is causing this stuff to be more apparent. Perhaps this pronounced banding is why certain tiny details are too sharp -- sounds like something is compressing the gamut of the screen. Or perhaps this is simply how this panel behaves.
Check AMD's global 3D settings particularly anti-aliasing/smoothing settings.
I have windows 10 & nvidia and disabled any anti-aliasing at 3D.

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 25 Aug 2016, 17:15

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
Erecshyrinol wrote:My assumption is that it's a driver issue of some sort. That the monitor is triggering something in AMD drivers or Windows itself that is causing this stuff to be more apparent. Perhaps this pronounced banding is why certain tiny details are too sharp -- sounds like something is compressing the gamut of the screen. Or perhaps this is simply how this panel behaves.
Check AMD's global 3D settings particularly anti-aliasing/smoothing settings.
I have windows 10 & nvidia and disabled any anti-aliasing at 3D.
spacediver wrote:I have an FW900 (crt).

I can clearly see the artifacts in both images. In the small image, the colored noise (pink) is harder to make out, but it's definitely visible.

The fact that you can clearly see the artifacts in both images might actually mean that the monitor is sharper and better at reproducing fine details.
I'm sorry, this is all just a false alarm. I've checked on my VA and indeed, all the "artifacts" are still there. Not that I'd argue against a FW900, but I wanted to check on other things I've noticed apart from this crappy icon I've showed you. Indeed, nothing exclusive to the XL2430. Same for banding -- it's still there on the VA, but a lot less apparent since it's a true 8 bit panel. This, combined with the vastly superior reproduction of blacks resulting in higher contrast ratio gives a lot more depth to the image, making imperfections like these less jarring. The TN looks flat and artificial in comparison and the crap just pops out of the screen.

I guess it comes down to never having spent so much time in front of a TN panel in a dark room before, let alone paying attention to details. If it's not apparent from the get go, you eventually start noticing how crap they are. But with a bit of tinkering and the ICC profile mightystorm provided, it actually looks pretty good in a colorful game like Overwatch, so it's alright. I feel bad for people who have to rely on something like this for desktop use though. I don't know, maybe my unit is just a particular stinker in terms of black levels.

Remember CRTs and when one monitor fit all purposes and fit them better than any LCD can hope to? I'll bet spacediver does.