Any signs of 4k+ 16:10 Monitors coming?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
VarHyid

Re: Any signs of 4k+ 16:10 Monitors coming?

Post by VarHyid » 28 Jan 2015, 08:26

Black Octagon wrote:I never understood the fascination with 16:10 either.
(...)
Maybe it's because a 16:10 screen is as close to the "golden ratio" (or perfect rectangle) as possible so you sub-consciously consider a screen of this size to be aesthetically pleasing? ;)

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/golden-rat ... n-designs/

yip3

Post by yip3 » 29 Jan 2015, 03:24

Edmond - I think I'll leave this that conversation as an agreement to disagree.

Side note - Again this was asking for a friend - my setup which I'm quite happy with is dual monitor setup with an xl2420z as one of the two.

VarHyid - I appreciate the link, it's always interesting to see where the Golden Ratio & Sacred Geometry pop up.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 29 Jan 2015, 04:16

yip3 wrote:Edmond - I think I'll leave this that conversation as an agreement to disagree.

Side note - Again this was asking for a friend - my setup which I'm quite happy with is dual monitor setup with an xl2420z as one of the two.

VarHyid - I appreciate the link, it's always interesting to see where the Golden Ratio & Sacred Geometry pop up.

Ye, i think the subconscious influence is a very good explanation for the obsession with exactly 16:10 for some individuals.

Just like if you went to the cinema in New York in the 70s, you might happen to get a movie with inserted frames with commercials for coke and popcorn. Im sure there were more than a few people who absolutely HAD to have coke and popcorn afterwards and recommended it to everyone mindlessly as if its the second coming.

Also, thx for admitting that your demands are irrational. I linked you a perfect square monitor and didnt get so much as a "thanks"... because that should have been your/yourfriends perfect screen, no? Since you also mentioned that 4:3 would be even better.
You know that the original 4:3 screens had equal width and height resolution, right? The pixels themselves were a little wider on those... thats why 4:3 exists as a ratio at all.

(P.S. I personally think that 16:9 is horrible and we need two standards instead of all this mess, a 24:10 and a 16:10, but im still gonna challenge every 16:10 chanter, because they annoy me. "Agree to disagree" is the most worthless phrase in existence also.)

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 29 Jan 2015, 10:35

Edmond, consider being less rude and angry in your responses.

Wanting a taller screen is extremely rational if you want to enjoy any content produced in 4:3, which includes the majority of the best television and the greatest video games ever created. A 16:10 monitor allows 4:3 content to display larger (16:12 would be ideal to balance historical and modern needs in one screen). A 16:9 monitor has no advantages.

A perfectly square monitor is not better for this, because that would limit the display of the 4:3 content from the other direction. (Yes, I know about non-square pixels, that's irrelevant because the content was produced taking that stretch into account.)

fury

Post by fury » 29 Jan 2015, 17:40

I like 16:10. My first flat panel was a 16:10. Very versatile aspect ratio - enough room to display 16:9 content and have the chrome for subtitles and buttons and such. Enough height to have two portrait documents side by side fill the screen without having to scroll.

16:9 is cool too.

Speaking of cool... Edmond why you making such a big deal if someone else likes a different aspect ratio? It's almost as bad as an Android vs. iPhone debate in here. :mrgreen:

flood

Post by flood » 29 Jan 2015, 23:46

Edmond wrote:I hope not. Just because im getting really sick of these 16:10 nostalgians QQing in EVERY forum.
everyone here is sick of your QQing about how other people could prefer anything other than ultrawide displays

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » 30 Jan 2015, 04:10

Amalion wrote:(16:12 would be ideal to balance historical and modern needs in one screen).
So, 4:3? :lol:

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 30 Jan 2015, 04:52

Amalion wrote:Edmond, consider being less rude and angry in your responses.

Wanting a taller screen is extremely rational if you want to enjoy any content produced in 4:3, which includes the majority of the best television and the greatest video games ever created. A 16:10 monitor allows 4:3 content to display larger (16:12 would be ideal to balance historical and modern needs in one screen). A 16:9 monitor has no advantages.

A perfectly square monitor is not better for this, because that would limit the display of the 4:3 content from the other direction. (Yes, I know about non-square pixels, that's irrelevant because the content was produced taking that stretch into account.)
Okok, i sincerely apologize for being an angry little shit. Guess my genitals are incredibly small or something.

Anyway, i doubt we will see 16:10s in the future. But considering 4^2:3^2 = 16:9, and 4^3:3^3 = 64:27, id say a 4:3 monitor is more likely, just because it would scale into the resolutions nicely, like 3840x2880, which scales nicely into the 5k res, which seems to be the heroic tier over 4k, just like 1440p was over 1080p. Also, if big companies release those, they need to be sure people will get to watch their 4k content on it pixel perfectly.
flood wrote:everyone here is sick of your QQing about how other people could prefer anything other than ultrawide displays
Thats not really true. You just think that because i tried to explain to you whats the deal with 64:27. You refused to understand, no matter how i tried.
Either way I spoke for myself. You speak for everyone. I dont think thats comparable, and not very honorable from you, tbh.

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 30 Jan 2015, 13:56

CastIrony wrote:
Amalion wrote:(16:12 would be ideal to balance historical and modern needs in one screen).
So, 4:3? :lol:
:D Yes, but it sounds so much more modern and cutting edge if people aren't paying attention!

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 02 Feb 2015, 04:39

Oh, since im everyones friend here... ill mention that there is an IBM monitor with that exact 16:10 resolution you wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/IBM-T221-22-2-384 ... B00006HS5R

Ye, 22" and its TN. Thats the best your gonna get.

If you pick that over a good looking new 4k, because of some preconceived notions... well, its your choice i guess. (see, im learning)