Optimal mouse DPI setting for 120 hz display 1080p

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
sharknice

Re: Optimal mouse DPI setting for 120 hz display 1080p

Post by sharknice » 24 Dec 2013, 14:55

I use 1200 dpi for the desktop which gives about 1 inch of vertical mouse movement to traverse from the top to the bottom of the screen.

For fps games I typically set my in game sensitivity to 1 and increase my dpi until a 360 degree turn is 6.8 inches of mouse movement. This allows me to have extremely precise sniping aim while still being able to do quick 180s without lifting my mouse and having my arm in a comfortable enough position to still aim accurately.

I actually have a web page I made that goes pretty in depth on mouse settings. Http://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html
A lot of what is on there was already posted by the good people here, but it has a bit more and step by step instructions.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2013, 15:09

sharknice wrote:I actually have a web page I made that goes pretty in depth on mouse settings. Http://eliteownage.com/mouseguide.html
A lot of what is on there was already posted by the good people here, but it has a bit more and step by step instructions.
Nice! Thanks for posting about this information.

This is one of the better guides I've seen. I should note that Blur Busters was also planning to make a guide, albiet with less detail and more of the specific Blur Busters flavor. Instead, perhaps I should invite you to create a mouse guide for Blur Busters? Or would you like to review the article I write in the future (sometime during year 2014)? Credit and link to your original eliteownage guide would be included. I've sent you a PM.

Another consideration is Windows 8.1, which adds mouse stutters to a 1000Hz mouse.
There, however is a system-wide fix available for Windows 8.1 systems to bring it to parity with Windows 8.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 27 Dec 2013, 14:50

Windows 8 is horrible for Mouse+keyboard users and 8.1 just added basic functionality (still too little and too late imo). . . Thats sad because the OS is quite fast and stable but the focus towards tablets, phone and touchscreen was a horrible move by Microsoft . . .

And that mouse setting page is really good shark, I already knew the stuff but now i can just give my friends the link instead of explaining them all the time :P

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 30 Dec 2013, 01:27

I did a lot of research about mice recently before selecting a new mouse (Logitech G400s) and hopefully I can share some useful information here.

- Optical sensors are more accurate than laser despite being cheaper (though since you selected an optical mouse I'm guessing you know this already.)
- High DPI doesn't mean it's better. Many, if not most mice lose accuracy when you turn the DPI up past a certain point. In addition, pro gamers generally use DPI < 2000.
- Always keep your Windows mouse sensitivity at the middle setting (notch 6 I believe.) Any other setting will discard or multiply mouse input in a pattern, causing mouse input stutter.

In any case, what I'd recommend is setting your DPI so the mouse feels right on your desktop, then adjust your games based on this. It's highly unlikely you'll need to turn it up past 1600 unless you like your mouse really fast.

Also make sure to set your polling rate to 500 or 1000 Hz (some mice and USB controllers aren't as accurate at 1000 Hz.) You can use this program to check it: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sys ... cker.shtml

For a good way to test your mouse accuracy at different settings, use the method shown here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1386834/logi ... by-takasta

corrupt.reality

Post by corrupt.reality » 02 Jan 2014, 05:02

the g400s has the exact same cable/usb connection issues that the g400 had. To the OP, no such thing as "best" dpi settings. You just adjust it up/down until you find something that works for you. What matters the most is what its tracking on
Asus Crosshair V - 8350FX
Acer GD235HZ
ASUS GTX 660 Top
Nvidia 3D Vision Wired

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 02 Jan 2014, 05:08

corrupt.reality wrote:the g400s has the exact same cable/usb connection issues that the g400 had.
Yeah I've read about those as well, but it doesn't seem to be any more common than various hardware problems with similar mice from other manufacturers. It's pretty sad too because Logitech mice used to be absolutely rock solid.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 02 Jan 2014, 23:14

Talking about mouses . . . or should i say mices?? lol
Anyways, i was looking at the Kova+
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 7&Tpk=kova
It says 3200 DPi but i think its 1600 native which is what i'd run it at.
It looks perfect for fingertip grip and is optical as well.
I might buy one and give it a try, anyone has some experience with it?

Haste

Post by Haste » 03 Jan 2014, 01:37

From what I read on the internet, optical mice based on the Avago 3090 sensor or the 3310 are often recommended.
I own a razer deathadder 2013 and I clearly noticed the advantage of a good optical sensor.
Especially coming from a laser mouse (steelseries ikari laser), which had annoying negative acceleration. (swinging my mouse back and forth to the same spot, the cursor would gradually drift away)

My advice: check out hardware sites and find which mice have the best sensors and firmwares. Then pick one of these based on your personal preference.
For example: number of buttons, aesthetics, weight, shape, compatibility with your grip style(s) (palm, claw, fingertip)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

SS4

Post by SS4 » 03 Jan 2014, 08:45

Seems tha Kova+ uses PAW3305DK-H from PixArt (who bought Avago a while ago).
From reviews ppl say its either 800 or 1600 native. Doesnt seem like it skips but it uses a little prediction at higher DPI.
I have used and loved the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse for the longest time and I want a mouse that is as good or better.
I'm just so used to the shape and its actually quite precise and responsive with its 800 DPI optical sensor.
Shape and size is fairly similar on the Kova+ and if its as good at 800 but also offer a decent 1600 option along with the extra buttons i think it would be good.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 03 Jan 2014, 15:48

FWIW I recommend 1000Hz logitech and 1000Hz razer mice in general. I have the G500S and the blackadder mouse. I prefer the logitech myself just from the fact that it feels more solid and has weight adjustments if I want them (though I just leave them out). The Razer is a good mouse if you get used to it, but I'm more used to the logitech.

They both do great for modern games that know how to take advantage of the higher data delivery rates to windows.