Optimal mouse DPI setting for 120 hz display 1080p

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kirayamato

Optimal mouse DPI setting for 120 hz display 1080p

Post by Kirayamato » 18 Dec 2013, 00:34

hi guys i have the benq xl2420te and i play on 144 hz what would be the ideal dpi i went from 800 to 1200 for now while lowering the ingame sensitivity to match the change to make it overall the small just more dots per inch but where would i stop seeing the benefit for example right now i play at 1.25 and 1200 dpi in black ops 2 that is fairly low ingame sensitivty i like to have precise aim but either way i wanna have pixel precious even if i had more dpi so what would be the ideal dpi i need
My mouse i am getting in 2-3 days is the roccat kone pure optical it has the best sensor avaiable so true 4000 dpi would be fine but as you increase dpi the max tracking speed also gets reduced as seen by some of the mouse benchmark tests what should i do any suggestions?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Optimal DPI setting for 120 hz display 1080p

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 00:42

Kirayamato wrote:hi guys i have the benq xl2420te and i play on 144 hz what would be the ideal dpi i went from 800 to 1200 for now while lowering the ingame sensitivity to match the change to make it overall the small just more dots per inch but where would i stop seeing the benefit for example right now i play at 1.25 and 1200 dpi in black ops 2 that is fairly low ingame sensitivty i like to have precise aim but either way i wanna have pixel precious even if i had more dpi so what would be the ideal dpi i need
My mouse i am getting in 2-3 days is the roccat kone pure optical it has the best sensor avaiable so true 4000 dpi would be fine but as you increase dpi the max tracking speed also gets reduced as seen by some of the mouse benchmark tests what should i do any suggestions?
My experience has been that max tracking speed is not important if it's far above your ability to do a fast flick 180 degrees. But it depends on your wrist speed. On many of the newer mice I have tried, I literally have to fling the mouse shot-put style so aggressively (to hurt my wrist), to hit a modern gaming mouse' max tracking speed, only barely. So max tracking speed may not actually be as important as accuracy/smoothness/fluidity. But some people are faster at their wrists than I am. Experimentation will verify this.

Your goal is a mouse with accurate high-DPI high-poll-rate that's good enough to do both simultaneously:
- Slow mouse movement is smooth and step-free. You can aim your sniper gun in games perfectly, one pixel at a time, without the mouse jumping several pixels at a time while you attempt to turn.
- Fast mouse movement is accurate, you flick 180 degrees right on cue. You don't need to move your mouse far, preferably less than 1", to do a reliable 180 degree turn, and you can do 180 degree turns instantly, reliably, and without overshooting.
And you can do both the above, with Acceleration turned OFF, mouse smoothing OFF, and using a good mousepad.

Different FPS and competitive gamers have slightly differing advice and favourites, but almost all of them will kind of converge onto some variant of advice that involves the above, at least for modern high-accuracy mice that produce very accurate high-DPI. This has long been very challenging technically for mice to do. With a good 1000Hz mouse, DPI raised reasonably high, and in-game sensitivity lowered to compensate for the overly sensitive DPI, you can finally do both slow and fast mouse movement simultaneously, without needing interpolation, acceleration or software mouse smoothing. Finding the right mousepad becomes important at higher DPI's, and to avoid "stiction" that causes jerky mouse movements.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mkenyon

Re: Optimal mouse DPI setting for 120 hz display 1080p

Post by mkenyon » 18 Dec 2013, 14:04

Really depends on the game though.

If you're talking quick bullet hose/hitscan shooters with low TTK (CS, CoD), then the advice is pretty good.

High TTK games that involve tons of left hand input in combat with a combination of hitscan and projectile weapons (Tribes, Q3A, Warsow), then you'll almost always want super low sens.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 14:54

mkenyon wrote:Really depends on the game though.
If you're talking quick bullet hose/hitscan shooters with low TTK (CS, CoD), then the advice is pretty good.

High TTK games that involve tons of left hand input in combat with a combination of hitscan and projectile weapons (Tribes, Q3A, Warsow), then you'll almost always want super low sens.
This is very good advice, too! (I'm more of a FPS guy here.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mkenyon

Post by mkenyon » 18 Dec 2013, 14:58

Same.

After years of the CS/CoD clones, when Tribes: Ascend came out, I just couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time with accuracy. I had a friend watch me stream to see what was going on, and he had me turn down DPI to 800, with in game sens super low. Made a huge difference.

With CS/CoD games though, you need that quick whip.

TheExodu5

Post by TheExodu5 » 18 Dec 2013, 16:05

DPI doesn't matter all that much as long as it's 800 or above. I do notice a difference in precision going from 400 to 800, but above that it's a wash.

"Theoretically", the highest DPI possible combined with a low sensitivity in-game would be best, but it's unnecessary. Personally, I like to keep my DPI somewhere in-between, at around 1600DPI or so, so that I can lower it and raise it with the on-the-fly DPI switches on my mouse, while maintaining good enough accuracy.

As for in-game sensitivity, it depends. Lower sensitivity will result in greater precision, but less mobility. For CS:GO, my personal preference is to have 1 full swipe accross the mousepad to equate to 270 degrees in game, which I feel is a good balance between precision and mobility.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Your goal is a mouse with accurate high-DPI high-poll-rate that's good enough to do both simultaneously:
- Slow mouse movement is smooth and step-free. You can aim your sniper gun in games perfectly, one pixel at a time, without the mouse jumping several pixels at a time while you attempt to turn.
- Fast mouse movement is accurate, you flick 180 degrees right on cue. You don't need to move your mouse far, preferably less than 1", to do a reliable 180 degree turn, and you can do 180 degree turns instantly, reliably, and without overshooting.
And you can do both the above, with Acceleration turned OFF, mouse smoothing OFF, and using a good mousepad.
While I won't speak against high-sensitivity gaming entirely, as some professional gamers do have a high sensitivity, I just want to point out that 1" for a 180 degree turn is definitely what I would consider very high sensitivity. Also, coming from someone who has gone a long way to fixing issues related to tendinitis, I would suggest against using your wrist for moving your mouse...this puts a lot of strain on your wrist and you can develop issues over time. I'd suggest as much as possible to use your arm to move, using your elbow as the primary pivot point, and keeping your wrist as loose and relaxed as possible. This way, you will avoid unnecessary strain on your wrist, and you will also be able to lower your sensitivity resulting in greater precision in your aim. It will take a while getting used to, as you'll be moving your arm around a lot. You should also have your elbow level with your mousepad so that your wrist is perfectly straight and relaxed to avoid carpel tunnel.
Last edited by TheExodu5 on 18 Dec 2013, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 18 Dec 2013, 16:12

Also the way you hold your mouse matters a lot imo.
The 3 categories are Palm grip, claw grip or fingertip grip.
Here is more info on the subject if you guys are cursious:
http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic

i personally have always used Fingertip grip and it gives me speed as well as accuracy.
Thats why i prefer lower DPI (also always turn off pointer acceleration in the windows option for precision).
In my case, small and light mouse with 800 DPI works wonder.
Lately the FPS i play the most are World of Tanks and PlanetSide 2 btw.
Last edited by SS4 on 18 Dec 2013, 16:15, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 16:12

TheExodu5 wrote:As for in-game sensitivity, it depends. Lower sensitivity will result in greater precision, but less mobility. For CS:GO, my personal preference is to have 1 full swipe accross the mousepad to equate to 270 degrees in game, which I feel is a good balance between precision and mobility.
I am somewhat different... I like a one inch swipe to equate a 180 degree turn, which is a wrist flick rather than a whole arm move. There are pros and cons, but it's been my style. Due to this, I notice 1600+ DPI really help.

You are correct though...Thats why you need really good high-DPI accuracy on a newer sensor, or it is a wash, as you've said.

TheExodu5

Post by TheExodu5 » 18 Dec 2013, 16:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
TheExodu5 wrote:As for in-game sensitivity, it depends. Lower sensitivity will result in greater precision, but less mobility. For CS:GO, my personal preference is to have 1 full swipe accross the mousepad to equate to 270 degrees in game, which I feel is a good balance between precision and mobility.
I am somewhat different... I like a one inch swipe to equate a 180 degree turn, which is a wrist flick rather than a whole arm move. There are pros and cons, but it's been my style. Due to this, I notice 1600+ DPI really help.

You are correct though...Thats why you need really good high-DPI accuracy on a newer sensor, or it is a wash, as you've said.
That's true...high DPI would definitely be more useful for high sensitivity gaming, since you're reliant on very small and precise movements to be accurate.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 16:19

TheExodu5 wrote:That's true...high DPI would definitely be more useful for high sensitivity gaming, since you're reliant on very small and precise movements to be accurate.
The silver lining is that a mouse that has accurate high DPI, will also be accurate at low DPI too. At least that is how it has normally turned out.