Why aren't gamers worshipping at the altar of strobing?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Blural

Re: Why aren't gamers worshipping at the altar of strobing?

Post by Blural » 20 Jun 2015, 12:41

SeeNoWeevil wrote:all gamers seem to want to do is push for higher and higher static resolutions at 60Hz.
I disagree. I think most of them aren't aware. Your average gamer these days doesn't know anything about computers. I've seen people claim how great 144hz is only to find they were running at 60hz.

The superiority of strobing is already quite clear as it is present by default on all the major upcoming virtual reality headsets. I think this could open the eyes of some average people who otherwise would not realize the difference.

People are very fickle and it can be hard at times to open their eyes to what they're missing. You gotta consider the average person probably doesn't spend more than a couple hours at their computer a day. They simply don't know and don't care. To someone who spends considerable time on these things, the difference is staggering. Low persistence displays are absolutely essential for optimal viewing. It's funny how people will spend thousands of dollars on their setups while ignoring the absolutely most vital part of it all as blurring is a by far worse visual defect than anything else combined. I'd rather play a game in 800x600 blur free than 3840x2160 with blur, it's that important.

If anything, the only tangible reason I personally can give is that there are simply a lack of quality strobing displays out there. Most of the strobing monitors force you to make some considerable concessions. I can't get a nice high pixel density bright fast monitor with good colors a non image destroying coating and complete control over the strobing settings. Whereas I can get pretty close to that minus the strobing ability.

Vayra

Re: Why aren't gamers worshipping at the altar of strobing?

Post by Vayra » 31 Aug 2015, 09:15

SeeNoWeevil wrote:Strobing is the best thing...*snip*
Because gamers are busy playing games.

Honestly I played on the shittiest TN, on a 720p HDTV with over 30ms input lag, I played on the companies' PVA's and IPS's... after a half hour of gaming panel technology isn't noticeable, except perhaps for TN's viewing angles and IPS's glow in the dark effect. The human body is amazingly versatile when it comes to compensating for technology's flaws. When I play with a lot of input lag, after some time I notice I start using more of a 'predictive' style of play. I compensate for it by pressing buttons ahead of time, which actually works quite well and I am sure I'm not the only one. When I played on TN, I didn't get too close or move my head too much. Nowadays I play on a fast VA and having seen all the shitty ends of monitors of all shapes and sizes, I can now say this is a relaxing and no-adaptation required panel. And here is the kicker: I don't use the strobing utility AT ALL.

Strobing, ULMB, whatever-Sync, Low blue light... I am sure it is all fantastic, but every panel tech has its flaws and we can adapt to it fine if we have to. So that's your answer right there: gamers don't care enough and the vast majority doesn't give a damn.