Why are there no 8 bit TN monitors?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
nimbulan

Why are there no 8 bit TN monitors?

Post by nimbulan » 21 Jan 2014, 04:13

I'm looking for a technical answer if anybody has one. I've never been able to find an adequate answer to this question. I've only ever found vague answers that manufacturers use cheaper DA converters to cut down on costs (which really shouldn't apply to these high end gaming monitors we're all using) or that TN panels would not benefit from 8 bit processing which I find extremely difficult to believe.

On a side note, how is it that display manufacturers have never been sued for false advertising for claiming 16.2m or 16.7m colors on 6 bit panels? The displays obviously can't display anywhere near that many colors even with dithering and FRC which I have yet to see any evidence of functioning on any monitor I've ever used.

TSM

Re: Why are there no 8 bit TN monitors?

Post by TSM » 21 Jan 2014, 04:44

This website seems to indicate that some 8 bit TN monitors may exist:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/co ... #8bit%20TN

Apparently monitors advertising 16.22M colors should be 6 bit and 16.77M should be 8 bit.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 21 Jan 2014, 14:36

TSM wrote:This website seems to indicate that some 8 bit TN monitors may exist:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/co ... #8bit%20TN

Apparently monitors advertising 16.22M colors should be 6 bit and 16.77M should be 8 bit.
Many 6 bit monitors, including our very own Asus VG248QE are being advertised as 16.7m colors now. I did look at that page last night and it appears to be very old. If you look up information about the indicated 8 bit monitor, you will discover that it is in fact 6 bit despite BenQ's claims.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2014, 18:18

Actually, a few better-than-6-bit TN exists:

-- The Vpixx Scientific LCD, which comes in both TN and IPS editions. Very expensive display. 12-bit color.
-- The upcoming ASUS ROG PG278 LCD, the first 1440p TN LCD will be an 8-bit TN.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 22 Jan 2014, 19:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Actually, a few better-than-6-bit TN exists:

-- The Vpixx Scientific LCD, which comes in both TN and IPS editions. Very expensive display. 12-bit color.
-- The upcoming ASUS ROG PG278 LCD, the first 1440p TN LCD will be an 8-bit TN.
If only the VG248QE was as well...the color banding in games has been annoying me more with this monitor since the colors are so much more vivid than my previous monitor. If only there was a G-sync upgrade for that Eizo monitor...