List of all IPS/VA gsync/freesync monitors

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Steeps

Re: List of all IPS/VA gsync/freesync monitors

Post by Steeps » 30 Jul 2015, 09:33

Gryz wrote:It's all subjective.

I've had an XB270HU on my desk. I thought it was garbage. I got another one, it was also garbage. I rather using my old 1920x1080 TN, because it makes me happier than the XB270HU did.

The reason ? IPS-glow. Or backlight-bleeding. I don't care what it was. (I think it's glow, I know blacklight-bleeding, and it's not yellow). The IPS-glow was so bad when I played my games, it irritated me 100x more than color-shifting on TN screens have ever done.

See, it's subjective. If you have Parkison, or ADHD, and you move your head a lot, the viewing-angles of IPS might be nice. But I keep my head still in front of the middle of my monitor. I'm just that kinda guy.

Now 6-bit versus 8-bit, that's a big difference. And that is something that I think a lot of people will appreciate, from noobs to experts. But that has nothing to do with IPS vs TN vs VA. 144Hz is nicer than 60Hz, but it is very subjective if it is worthwhile for any individual. Higher resolution is nice also for many people. But not all. (I would not use a 4k panel, unless I got it for free). Gamers don't want 4k, they rather have higher fps and more eyecandy. But for photo-editing, 4k is the bomb. All subjective.
This is a post that I agree with. All three (IPS, VA, and TN) have advantages and disadvantages. You can't just say TN is garbage because you feel that way (well you can, but it doesn't make sense).

I love my 8-bit 27" 1440p TN panel, it's wonderful. I have the absolute fastest response times and some of the lowest input lag. I also get the benefit of 8-bit colors that are near equivalent of IPS without the ugly white glow that always exists. Viewing angles don't bother me. I'm not viewing the screen from my bed, I'm always in the same chair at the same angle.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 31 Jul 2015, 13:49

Steeps wrote:
Gryz wrote:It's all subjective.

I've had an XB270HU on my desk. I thought it was garbage. I got another one, it was also garbage. I rather using my old 1920x1080 TN, because it makes me happier than the XB270HU did.

The reason ? IPS-glow. Or backlight-bleeding. I don't care what it was. (I think it's glow, I know blacklight-bleeding, and it's not yellow). The IPS-glow was so bad when I played my games, it irritated me 100x more than color-shifting on TN screens have ever done.

See, it's subjective. If you have Parkison, or ADHD, and you move your head a lot, the viewing-angles of IPS might be nice. But I keep my head still in front of the middle of my monitor. I'm just that kinda guy.

Now 6-bit versus 8-bit, that's a big difference. And that is something that I think a lot of people will appreciate, from noobs to experts. But that has nothing to do with IPS vs TN vs VA. 144Hz is nicer than 60Hz, but it is very subjective if it is worthwhile for any individual. Higher resolution is nice also for many people. But not all. (I would not use a 4k panel, unless I got it for free). Gamers don't want 4k, they rather have higher fps and more eyecandy. But for photo-editing, 4k is the bomb. All subjective.
This is a post that I agree with. All three (IPS, VA, and TN) have advantages and disadvantages. You can't just say TN is garbage because you feel that way (well you can, but it doesn't make sense).

I love my 8-bit 27" 1440p TN panel, it's wonderful. I have the absolute fastest response times and some of the lowest input lag. I also get the benefit of 8-bit colors that are near equivalent of IPS without the ugly white glow that always exists. Viewing angles don't bother me. I'm not viewing the screen from my bed, I'm always in the same chair at the same angle.
My issue with TN is that i sit an a large armchair and i like to RELAX when i play stuff, and not sit like a unmoving robot. When i do that i slide a bit lower and the vertical viewing angles of TN are the most horrible. I notice that and i have to readjust myself... TN is basically NOT letting me relax and wants me to sit on some kind of edge, or to be a unmoving robot. Not acceptable.

Yes, IPS glow is shit, and if you get it - you should return your monitor and get one without it.
But TN viewing angles arent fixable. Thats why TN is garbage compared to whats available nowadays.

If 144hz IPS were NOT available, i would shut up. But 144hz IPS clearly are possible. And since OLED is like the heroin dragon you can never catch, it doesnt matter.
LCD is the best we have. And FAST, STROBABLE IPS are here. So we dont have to keep TN on life support anymore. The faster we let TN die, the faster we all can get fast IPSs of all sizes and sorts.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 05 Sep 2015, 13:18

updated with some gloious new monitors and the FIRST retail 200hz monitor

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 10 Sep 2015, 01:11

misschat
Last edited by Edmond on 12 Sep 2015, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Waddo

Post by Waddo » 12 Sep 2015, 01:00

the contrast and mbr support (motion blur reduction) would be nice, I heard somewhere not all g-sync ips have mbr...?
Finally some good VA stuff, should make VA more popular like that really bad QC Foris VA did back in the day.
shops refused to even stock it because of its returns/bad rep/QC...
good work.

Feels like butter

Post by Feels like butter » 12 Sep 2015, 13:44

That TN shift is a deal-breaker for me too, they can add all the fancy stuff they want to it, I still wouldn't pay more than $100 for one. Can't we just crowd-fund the opening of a CRT factory? You know, admit humanity made a terrible mistake and go back to the way things were? :lol:

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 12 Sep 2015, 14:22

Feels like butter wrote:That TN shift is a deal-breaker for me too, they can add all the fancy stuff they want to it, I still wouldn't pay more than $100 for one. Can't we just crowd-fund the opening of a CRT factory? You know, admit humanity made a terrible mistake and go back to the way things were? :lol:
Hoping OLED gets cheap enough for monitors asap. OLED will make both CRT and LCD look like garbage.
And if you combine OLED with adaptivesync that goes as low as 0hz = you get an artifact free display.

Input lag and pixel persistence motion blur cant be removed, but they go down linearly the higher the fps/hz. And i`d say that around 200fps/hz input lag and pixel persistence motion blur by ITSELF will become undetectable by almost all humans... on OLED.

jaranis

Post by jaranis » 29 Oct 2015, 11:57

Don't get me wrong full persistence 200fps/Hz would probably look really good, but you would still need strobing to make it undetectable. I can see the difference between lightboost 100% and lightboost 10% @ 120Hz (100% being ever so slightly fuzzy), and we're talking about 1ms difference (2.4ms for 100% and 1.4ms for 10%). Full persistance 200Hz would be 5ms. Add a little strobe to that and we'd be getting sub millisecond persistance, pretty awesome if you ask me!!

Glide

Post by Glide » 29 Oct 2015, 12:56

Edmond wrote:And i`d say that around 200fps/hz input lag and pixel persistence motion blur by ITSELF will become undetectable by almost all humans... on OLED.
A CRT has persistence equal to something in the region of 500-1000Hz. 200Hz would still show noticeable motion blur in games.
And you have to actually run your games at 200 FPS. Many newer games are struggling to run at 60.