The holy grail of monitors?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Manimal 5000

Re: The holy grail of monitors?

Post by Manimal 5000 » 13 Sep 2015, 16:16

Options are good. You can either scale these high resolutions down (artifacts, lag) or just use G-sync at low frame rates (persistence blur, lag). Which is kind of meh... OR you can avoid all that by playing on a 1080p 120hz monitor @ 120fps (I prefer that one but whatever). I think the crux of the thing is a lot of people are over-estimating GPU power and don't know the consequences. This here GPU power debate can only be resolved for sure by pulling out some hard performance numbers (I refer anybody to check out current GPU charts).

Here's one other thing to consider: VR developers are no doubt very familiar with GPU limits. They chose something close to 1080@90hz (and visuals are also stripped down). They should have (and could have) chosen 4K to avoid screen doors, but chose a much lower resolution instead. Cant have any blur, lag, stutter, ect. when it matters.

mmarti3

Post by mmarti3 » 17 Sep 2015, 23:37

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 18 Sep 2015, 07:38

mmarti3 wrote:Acer Z35 - dead - 12MS response http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/moni ... resh-rate/
Thats actually pretty good. Considering the best gaming TN`s have about 10ms response time in reality.

Id take the one extra ms to have a VA panel, not TN garbage.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 19 Sep 2015, 15:13

Strangerbob wrote: Acer x34 - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz + gsync
Asus pg348q - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz + gsync
I don't know much about the Asus, but I was under the impression the Acer Predator X34 was native input of 75hz and used an "overclock" to get to 100hz, sort of how 120hz TV's (most) have a native 60hz input and then use frame interpolation to "output" 120hz?

Please don't flame, but if I am incorrect in my interpretation of what Acer has stated that the X34 can "(overclock) up to 100hz", can someone point me to a link that shows it accepts a native 100hz input? 100hz native input interests me much more than 75hz input with frame interpolation...

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 19 Sep 2015, 17:04

Edmond wrote: Thats actually pretty good. Considering the best gaming TN`s have about 10ms response time in reality.
The panel has 2000:1 contrast ratio, 12ms response time and 4ms grey-to-grey response time.
Wrong. Best gaming TN`s have about 1ms grey-to-grey response time and ofc lower than 12ms "response time".
No need to debate is TN garbage or not.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 21 Sep 2015, 10:33

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
Edmond wrote: Thats actually pretty good. Considering the best gaming TN`s have about 10ms response time in reality.
The panel has 2000:1 contrast ratio, 12ms response time and 4ms grey-to-grey response time.
Wrong. Best gaming TN`s have about 1ms grey-to-grey response time and ofc lower than 12ms "response time".
No need to debate is TN garbage or not.
You should take a look how different un-strobed motion blur looks like on a advertised 1ms gtg TN and a 4ms gtg VA or IPS.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ace ... or_x34.htm
Spoiler alert - its indistinguishable. Except the TN is garbage in every other aspect. Id say the case is closed here.

You know they put that "1ms" on the box and market it as a gaming screen only to keep peddling trash to GAYMERS who have no clue whats going on? To people who dont know the difference between pixel response time and input lag. I wonder why they dont advertise input lag...
I dont have to explain the advertised contrast ratios to you , do i?

I understand we lived in very difficult times before, but you can stop defending TN now. 144hz IPS is here and its superior or equal in EVERY way. The sooner you stop defending that TN trash and let it die, the sooner we all can move to fast beautiful screens where we actually get to see the same content even after out neck is relaxed a bit (viewing angles).