Sling TV streaming micro-stutter issue

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
trey31

Sling TV streaming micro-stutter issue

Post by trey31 » 19 Sep 2015, 15:34

I'm new to Sling TV and I've noticed a prevalent micro-stutter issue on most channels, especially noticeable with camera motion. Anyone know the native refresh rate of the PC App for Sling TV? I know it isn't native because ESPN on cable uses 720p@60hz (specifically to curb interlaced issues during fast motion sequences during sports broadcasts), but ESPN on Sling TV is obviously being broadcast in an interlaced resolution. I haven't tried it on a Roku player yet, not sure if the micro-stutter is on their end or if its an issue of the refresh rate on my pc, but considering I've tried 24/30/50/60/120hz and they all have issues I'm guessing they're either broadcasting at a refresh rate below 24hz (maybe to save on bandwidth?) or they're having consistent server issues 24/7. Its not a bandwidth issue on my end, I have plenty.

Anyone happen to know how I could find out what the native resolution and refresh rate is? Google was not my friend when I was trying to figure this out. If switching to a Roku player doesn't solve the issue, I'm going to cancel and reevaluate my options. I hate motion blur, but I think I hate dropped frames and excessive stutter even more.

trey31

Re: Sling TV streaming micro-stutter issue

Post by trey31 » 19 Sep 2015, 21:49

Just as a follow up, I setup a Roku on my 720p LCD projector in my bedroom and the app/software is different than the PC. The app through Roku does not have as prevalent of a stutter issue, however the projector is a low end model with plenty of its own issues. I'll test the Roku on the TVs and see how it fares. Looks like the issue is with the PC software, seeing as it has issues on at least the two PCs I tested, one with Windows 8.1 and the other with Windows 7.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Sep 2015, 11:44

My bro bought a new 2015 65' Samsung tv recently and out of the box that tv had some of the WORST default settings i have ever seen. The contrast was turned way up and the colors were all wrong and it was a complete eye sore too look at. I have no idea why tv companies make a really nice tv and then banbard it with default crap settings. Anyways one of settings was this motion smoothing algorithm that would turn on and off when fast motion was happening on the tv and it would make a small frame stutter when it happen. I don't know if this is your problem but you can fix most of these problems by setting the input to PC and turning on the 'Gaming mode'.

Also are running a computer monitor and your tv from a single computer? try disabling the monitor and just run the tv, running two screens can sometimes cause problems.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 27 Sep 2015, 09:36

lexlazootin wrote:My bro bought a new 2015 65' Samsung tv recently and out of the box that tv had some of the WORST default settings i have ever seen. The contrast was turned way up and the colors were all wrong and it was a complete eye sore too look at. I have no idea why tv companies make a really nice tv and then banbard it with default crap settings. Anyways one of settings was this motion smoothing algorithm that would turn on and off when fast motion was happening on the tv and it would make a small frame stutter when it happen. I don't know if this is your problem but you can fix most of these problems by setting the input to PC and turning on the 'Gaming mode'.

Also are running a computer monitor and your tv from a single computer? try disabling the monitor and just run the tv, running two screens can sometimes cause problems.
I have this PC connected to a TV, a monitor, and a projector in a different room (35' blue rigger cable), but I've never had any issues if only one is on at a time. Really easy to disconnect the other two as well, which I tried before posting.

I only use the Game input on my Vizio from the PC, which disables all post-processing by the TV including Smooth Motion and Noise Reduction. Sorry I did not make that clear in my initial post. Also I use modified EDID's exclusively for 120Hz+ video. NVIDIA drivers are usually at fault whenever something gets wonky on this TV and rolling back drivers usually fixes any stutter issues (I've had issues a couple of times with 23.976 content and it was always driver related).

The video feed on Sling TV's end might be to blame, according to Sling TV tech support, but they didn't really have any clue about refresh rates so they sent me another free Roku player as a condolence for their incompetence. I'd rather prefer to just know what the deal is with their PC player app.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Sep 2015, 11:55

"they sent me another free Roku player as a condolence for their incompetence."

That's painful to read.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 12 Oct 2015, 17:15

lexlazootin wrote:"they sent me another free Roku player as a condolence for their incompetence."

That's painful to read.
Yes. Instead of helping address the issue with their PC software, they decided to bribe me with a Roku stick. I'd rather just know that the refresh rate is 18.83, or whatever it might be if that is the issue with refresh sync, so that I could at least match the output. As is, the other Roku stick is mostly useless to me. I think I'll be canceling after the initial 3 months I paid for is over. Sling launched over 8 months ago and they're still having launch day issues with, seemingly, no idea how to resolve them. I think I'll go back to cable or upgrade to Google TV service.