Self Teaching about Display Building/modding etc

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Comanglia

Self Teaching about Display Building/modding etc

Post by Comanglia » 08 Oct 2015, 14:43

Anyone have some good Videos, Documents, Guides, etc. For learning about building/modding, understanding, editting / making firmware and the like for Displays? I mean all kinds too (Beginner, Intermediate, High-Level) though with more of a focus on beginner and intermediate.

-edit-
Clarification I mean guides on building/modding, understanding Displays
and
editting / making firmware
Last edited by Comanglia on 08 Oct 2015, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Self Teaching about Display Building/modding etc

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 08 Oct 2015, 16:56

i think it's too hard to modify firmware and easier will be to find source code then modify it and compile.

AustinClark

Post by AustinClark » 08 Oct 2015, 17:07

Q83Ia7ta wrote:i think it's too hard to modify firmware and easier will be to find source code then modify it and compile.
Often the firmware is protected in such a way that it's basically impossible to read from the IC, and I don't think the source code is ever made public. Usually people get the firmware when an update is pushed from the manufacturer. At that point, you reverse engineering the assembly code, which is NOT something a beginner will be able to do.

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 08 Oct 2015, 20:35

I editted the main post for clarification

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 12 Oct 2015, 11:36

yo, I'd really like to learn. Just need the right resources.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 12 Oct 2015, 11:55

i feel like it's the sort of thing you won't find guides on, but if you believe in it enough you will find a way.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 12 Oct 2015, 17:03

What you're asking is generalized and not specific enough to post in-depth about, mostly due to not knowing what sort of knowledge base you already have, but here are a couple of places you could start:

• CRU - Custom Resolution Utility by ToastyX | http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... tility-CRU ... the link goes to the general support thread about what/how to use it. I haven't read anything on it in years, but I use the utility all the time. Very nice tool.

• Monitor Asset Manager 2.9 by EnTech Taiwan | http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm ... Not a lot of support for it, but it does a lot of stuff.

Those are software solutions for modding, hardware modding sort of requires some trial and error, but I know there are some guys on this forum that can probably point you in the right direction. There is another forum around, where guys do some cool stuff. Don't really want to link to it from BlurBusters though. Don't want to step on any toes. Trying googling some random keywords and add an "HF" to it. There have been some cool projects done over there. Nuff said.