Experiences with Seiki 4K 50"

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
shadman

Experiences with Seiki 4K 50"

Post by shadman » 25 Jan 2014, 05:15

Well, my friend finally got enough funds to purchase the Seiki 50" 4K, got it on sale at Sears for $650 (plus tax, $697.something).

Got home, plugged it in, and it was pretty decent. Unfortunately did not get any pictures, but I'll give a short summary of the experience. We hooked up a desktop for today, though didn't get to use the internet (so no 4K videos, just pictures and single-player games).

Regular 4K, 30Hz. Desktop was GINORMOUS. Pretty awesome amount of workspace. 30Hz was felt, and the backlight strobing was visible and annoying to me, but my other two friends couldn't see it. Tolerable, to an extent. Playing games, was definitely a stutterfest. Most games he couldn't run with his GTX760 at decent specs at 2160p, and even when they did the amount of tearing was horrendous, unplayable. Vsync helped incredibly, even at 30Hz/30FPS, though input lag was of course incredibly high.

GTA: IV was....surprisingly smooth, with Vsync. No real tearing/stutters, just 30fps slideshow-ish, but still. 4K looked good. I was overall impressed.
Tomb Raider, brought the card to its knees and couldn't play it. At the 4K res, though, it looked a little better, but I don't think its really worth it in this game.
CS:GO was pretty cool, but really showed the tearing. The FoV, horizontally and vertically, and the detail from characters from far away was pretty astonishing. I'd like 4K 120fps for this, please.
Just Cause 2, gave a huge FoV as well. Much tearing. Not too sure it was worth it though, it just kind of made everything bigger, and didn't look as sharp as other games. This ones an 'eh'.
Left 4 Dead 2, I could NOT get to work. at 4K, this has major issues. Looking up online, I couldn't find any record of anyone trying the game in 4K, and was sad. Tried all sorts of things, but to no avail.
Trine 2, looked awesome. Loved it. Could not recommend more for 4K.
Super Meat Boy. Stupid. Don't know why, but lots of input lag and didn't look much better in my opinion. So that is whatever.
Bioshock Infinite, hard to say. Lots of tearing, didn't really spend much time in it either.

That was about all he had installed and ready to play, right now. My other friend had his laptop and got Battlefield 4 working with the display as well, and it looked pretty good, though had some issues with the screen turning black for a few seconds randomly, but that happened at desktop too. Maybe the cable.

As far as overclocking: worked beautifully for 1080p 120Hz. Most of the games (not GTA though) really looked great at 1080p 120Hz. Got 1440p at 90Hz fine, but the picture was pretty blurry, and quickly stopped that. 720p was just too god-awful to look at, and didn't bother with it. Tried 4K at 35 Hz, and was getting a few issues, though it worked, but not going to use it. Didn't try anything inbetween, but my friend said the 1080p at 120Hz was mostly what he wanted, and 4K occasionally too.

Display itself, colors were alright. Blacks didn't get very black, and when on 1080p with a dark gradient background, got weird shapes moving around that I believe might be weird artifacts from the scaling algorithm, but thats just a guess. Backlight was decent, there was a spot in the lower right hand corner worse than the rest of the monitor, but only visible on really dark backgrounds, and other than that was not visible any other times.

As far as "blur busters" goes, the 120Hz 1080p mode was nice. I didn't run any real tests on it, and since we didn't have internet I couldn't go to testufo.

Overall...a decent purchase. Myself, I would wait until 60Hz 4k, at least. It was defintitely cool though, but it could be better.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Experiences with Seiki 4K 50"

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 09:42

shadman,

Thanks for your observations! Very good observations. I've made a link to this thread in the Display Overclocking forum, since this thread is useful from over there too.

4K is currently not very attractive to people seeking good motion clarity, due to the low frame rates involved, but hopefully we see a 4K strobed 120Hz display -and- the GPU horsepower to drive that from a single card at full framerates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 28 Jan 2014, 04:24

Seiki 50" is sample-and-hold the backlight is lit continuously.

The pulsating you are seeing is that the backlight is ON while the LCD elements are refreshed at a (slow) 30hz rate. The panel apparently cannot be refreshed at 4K resolution any faster than 30fps. This is a limitaiton of the panel.

When refreshing at 120Hz, it doesn't do this. You definitely should run the display at 120hz to see the difference .. it is quite stunningly better for games and stuff at 120hz.

orik

Post by orik » 28 Jan 2014, 12:33

The panel apparently cannot be refreshed at 4K resolution any faster than 30fps. This is a limitaiton of the panel.
This is false. The limitation, of course, is the hdmi 1.4 interface and the motherboard.

OC.net user Marteen12100 got the a Skyworth with the same panel as the 39" seiki up to 45hz and people are theorizing that if you made a DIY dual dual-dvi input board you could get 120hz at 4k.

shadman

Post by shadman » 29 Jan 2014, 05:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thanks for your observations! Very good observations. I've made a link to this thread in the Display Overclocking forum, since this thread is useful from over there too.
I typed this all up in the display overclocking forum, then changed my mind at the last minute, as I didn't mess around with OCing too much really :P
Ahigh wrote:When refreshing at 120Hz, it doesn't do this. You definitely should run the display at 120hz to see the difference .. it is quite stunningly better for games and stuff at 120hz.
He has been constantly running 1080p @ 120Hz for most games, except GTA IV. I still can't believe how smooth that game is at 30fps @ 30Hz (VSync on), really shows how well a G-Sync 4K display would benefit from the tech, though maybe on a 60Hz 4K display.
orik wrote:
Ahigh wrote:The panel apparently cannot be refreshed at 4K resolution any faster than 30fps. This is a limitaiton of the panel.
This is false. The limitation, of course, is the hdmi 1.4 interface and the motherboard.

OC.net user Marteen12100 got the a Skyworth with the same panel as the 39" seiki up to 45hz and people are theorizing that if you made a DIY dual dual-dvi input board you could get 120hz at 4k.
Well, limitation of the panel, as sold and given to us by Seiki without easy modification, yes. I would greatly want to test out any 4K 120Hz possibilities to apply to this TV, with permission from the owner. But I doubt much would come of this?

Side note, I went over the other day and what do we end up playing on the TV? The original NES of course. Cracked me up.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 06 Feb 2014, 12:49

Duck Hunt or Boy and his Blob? Anything else and you're simply not one of the cool.kids

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

trey31

Post by trey31 » 07 Feb 2014, 22:49

orik wrote:
The panel apparently cannot be refreshed at 4K resolution any faster than 30fps. This is a limitaiton of the panel.

Could you be so kind as to point me to that thread? (link)

I'm game to buy a panel with the sole purpose of tearing it apart and possibly destroying it. Sounds like fun.

shadman

Post by shadman » 07 Feb 2014, 23:50

There is a ton of discussion spread out on the pages in this thread. I'm just linking to a post where the guy said he was confident all the electronics inside were limiting the panel, but speculation on the actual max refresh at 4k seemed inconclusive.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 08 Feb 2014, 14:29

shadman wrote:There is a ton of discussion spread out on the pages in this thread. I'm just linking to a post where the guy said he was confident all the electronics inside were limiting the panel, but speculation on the actual max refresh at 4k seemed inconclusive.
Sounds like a fun project. I'm gonna check out that forum and see what I can dig up. I might give this a shot.

orik

Post by orik » 09 Feb 2014, 01:12

trey31 wrote:
orik wrote:

Could you be so kind as to point me to that thread? (link)

I'm game to buy a panel with the sole purpose of tearing it apart and possibly destroying it. Sounds like fun.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1400344/skyw ... 720p-254hz

sorry for the delay c: