CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mr.Pmosh

CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Post by Mr.Pmosh » 15 Jan 2016, 15:48

Looking into the forums here to see who owns one of these bad boys. I own one of them and had it for over 10 years still working i might add. Question is how would you compare it to current gaming monitors. I own Asus VG248 love it but have to say the FW900 still owns it. I love playing retro games on it and the black levels on it are just awesome almost looks 3d like. Movie watching on my FW900 is still my primary go to.

spacediver

Re: CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Post by spacediver » 15 Jan 2016, 20:30

I own four :p

(three of them in working condition).

I've never gamed on anything but a CRT, so can't use my own experience to compare it. But gaming on this beauty is a joy that quite literally brings a shadow of a tear to my eye.

Have you seen my WinDAS white point balance guide?

Glide

Post by Glide » 15 Jan 2016, 23:11

I wish. They're incredibly rare here, and any time I do see one for sale, it's far more expensive than a second-hand decade-old CRT is worth - no matter how good a CRT it is.
I'm still using a CRT monitor for certain games, but only an inexpensive one that I was actually able to find locally - though it at least offered the controls to properly calibrate it.

I just hope that we start to get OLEDs which can finally exceed CRT performance in the next year or two. The technology should be capable of it, but the manufacturers don't seem to care about gaming performance yet.
As much as I do like CRTs for their resolution and refresh rate flexibility, as well as their low latency, I use a 46" LCD as my main display for single player games where that doesn't matter so much, and would like to upgrade to a 55" or 65" OLED. As good as it is, the FW900 is pretty small.

Mr.Pmosh

Post by Mr.Pmosh » 15 Jan 2016, 23:32

spacediver wrote:I own four :p

(three of them in working condition).

I've never gamed on anything but a CRT, so can't use my own experience to compare it. But gaming on this beauty is a joy that quite literally brings a shadow of a tear to my eye.

Have you seen my WinDAS white point balance guide?
No i have not do you post on hardforum also by chance?? Ive never really calibrated my CRT monitor thought that required the hardware. As is the colors with the HDFury does seem to add more pop to the colors mind you at 1920 by 1080. Love to check out your power point balance guide if it color corrects the monitor better. Question by chance did you remove the film on yours ive seen people remove the film because they say it looks better without it. I also do console gaming on the monitor currently my PS3 is hooked up right now.

Mr.Pmosh

Post by Mr.Pmosh » 15 Jan 2016, 23:44

Glide wrote:I wish. They're incredibly rare here, and any time I do see one for sale, it's far more expensive than a second-hand decade-old CRT is worth - no matter how good a CRT it is.
I'm still using a CRT monitor for certain games, but only an inexpensive one that I was actually able to find locally - though it at least offered the controls to properly calibrate it.

I just hope that we start to get OLEDs which can finally exceed CRT performance in the next year or two. The technology should be capable of it, but the manufacturers don't seem to care about gaming performance yet.
As much as I do like CRTs for their resolution and refresh rate flexibility, as well as their low latency, I use a 46" LCD as my main display for single player games where that doesn't matter so much, and would like to upgrade to a 55" or 65" OLED. As good as it is, the FW900 is pretty small.
When i got the monitor i really only gamed on it the FW900 although awesome i thought i needed something else to game on. I ventured out and got a Asus VG248 1ms 144hz 3d ready portrait mode for those pinball games. I dont regret the purchase at all gaming on the VG248 is awesome. But it just doesn't compare to certain games mainly old school 2d games for me. Max resolution on it 2304 by 1440. Just eyedropping with certain games. FW900 although small in a 24 inch display its not something that bothers me the colors movie watching gaming just do it for me. I also own a samsung TV 40 inch and that 24 inch Sony 3d tv that came with a game and 3d glasses.The one i use the most my FW900. Ever in the market for one also look into the A7217A by HP same as the FW900 but differn't logo.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 16 Jan 2016, 00:24

Mr.Pmosh wrote:
No i have not do you post on hardforum also by chance??
Yes, I post regularly in the FW900 thread. Here's the WinDAS guide for the white point balance. It's been a while since I've updated it, but it is still solid.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1830788

of the three working units I have, 2 have the antiglare removed.

Mr.Pmosh

Post by Mr.Pmosh » 17 Jan 2016, 22:30

thanks man btw how good does it look without the film??

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 17 Jan 2016, 23:27

looks great, so long as you're in a light controlled environment. I'm halfway through a project aimed at taking precise measurements of how removing the AG affects things like sharpness and bloom, but it's on hold right now. Here is my last update:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1 ... 1041999084

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 08 Feb 2016, 19:47

hi spacediver, can you tell me if any of your fw900 monitors display the image out of the screen area and the brigtness is very high when you power up the monitor if it has been turned off for a while,? if so, how long you have to wait until it warms up and get the picture and brightness to more accurate levels?

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 08 Feb 2016, 20:14

3dfan wrote:hi spacediver, can you tell me if any of your fw900 monitors display the image out of the screen area and the brigtness is very high when you power up the monitor if it has been turned off for a while,? if so, how long you have to wait until it warms up and get the picture and brightness to more accurate levels?
Not spacediver, but you'll have to wait 30 minutes or so for it to warm up, then you can use the color management menu to do an "image restoration", though, really, you'll want to calibrate it with the Sony maintenance software especially if it's old and not been used awhile. You can find more information here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1830788