CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
3dfan

Re: CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Post by 3dfan » 08 Mar 2016, 11:30

thanks again for your info people, right now im trying to deal with some aspect ratio issues im having.
im trying to get circles as close as circles as posible, i have read that this is "normal" on the fw900, however, i im being able to get better circle shapes when i create custom resolutions from the nvidia control panel with refresh rates up to 85 hz, but when i set resolutions rate to 60hz, circles become ovals, i want to use 60 hrz specialy for desktop usage since at 60 hz it has better text clarity, better compatibility with some emulators and games limited to 60fps i use, and for personal preference, also im very used to work with 60hz, does not cause eye strain to me.

im sure there must be a away to achieve better circle shapes at 60hz, but im not to experienced on custom resolution terminnology (porch, timing etc) i have used the exact same setting i use for 85 as 60hz custom resolutions but it wont give better proper aspect ratio resuts.

some ideas and help would be very apreciate, thanks again ;)

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 08 Mar 2016, 15:05

3dfan wrote:thanks again for your info people, right now im trying to deal with some aspect ratio issues im having.
im trying to get circles as close as circles as posible, i have read that this is "normal" on the fw900, however, i im being able to get better circle shapes when i create custom resolutions from the nvidia control panel with refresh rates up to 85 hz, but when i set resolutions rate to 60hz, circles become ovals, i want to use 60 hrz specialy for desktop usage since at 60 hz it has better text clarity, better compatibility with some emulators and games limited to 60fps i use, and for personal preference, also im very used to work with 60hz, does not cause eye strain to me.

im sure there must be a away to achieve better circle shapes at 60hz, but im not to experienced on custom resolution terminnology (porch, timing etc) i have used the exact same setting i use for 85 as 60hz custom resolutions but it wont give better proper aspect ratio resuts.

some ideas and help would be very apreciate, thanks again ;)
Hmmm, I don't know about all this. I have only used the preset resolutions given in the specifications e.g. 1920x1200 at 85 hz and 1920x1080 at 60 hz. These resolutions were adjusted for accuracy in the Win DAS procedure. Have you tried using the ASC function then the OSD controls?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 08 Mar 2016, 18:11

If your circles are ovals, it's because your geometry needs adjusting. Each mode that you use needs to be independently adjusted.

Notice that when you switch modes, the height and length of the viewable image changes. A good starting point is to adjust the image width so that it fills the entire screen width, and adjust the image height so that there's a small black margin on the top and bottom. It shouldn't fill the entire height of the screen.

If you go through the WinDAS procedures, it guides you by asking you to adjust the image until it's such and such a width and height. But it's not that important to use WinDAS to do this. You can do it all from the OSD.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 08 Mar 2016, 21:57

using the ASC button and then the OSD gives same results: "egg" or "ovals" when using 60hz, but at 85hz, even with the entire screen filled circles look more rounded, so there should be a way to achieve the same at 60hz without reducing total height visible area.

i uploaded a youtube video to show better what is happening, it may not be as clear as it is while watching in real life, but its noticiable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIaClKsaZk

also i noticed the "egg" circle effect does not seem to affect circle shapes in webpages, as can be seen on the video, on the red circle in the back of the ufo on blurbusters, it stays always rounded at 60 or 85hz.
after recording the video i noticed that the circles also become ovals on youtube videos when watching at fullscreen at 60hz but not at windowed mode at 60hz.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 09 Mar 2016, 19:00

The focus on your screen looks very good, congratulations. Different areas of the screen will have different geometry in the different "modes" according to the settings in the controller, I think. Have you used a calibration image like this to see what areas need adjustment?:

I don't believe this is specifically related to the frequency and timings of the resolution itself.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 10 Mar 2016, 09:19

thanks aeliusg, i am definitely very lucky with this monitor, so far i have been able achieve very good quality to my likes results such blacks - whites, colors, also the text and static image clarity is very close to lcd-led monitors quality, nothing to envy about those, and all by OSD without the need to adjust with windas or flyback pots yet, so it definitelly seems true that this monitor was not used much as the seller stated. (this is a 2003 model).

i considered the posibility to remove the anti glare thing, but with the results achieved so far, i dont think it will be necesary, the scratches it has are easily ignorable when using the monitor.

this bulky, big, weighty, power hungry, but superior performance monitor definitely deservers more life, i hope nvidia still keeps supporting ramdac on their upcoming next gen gpus.

its been a month with this monitor , the first electric bill arrived and i was pleased there was not dramatic increment on (also with the help of other electric usage habits i adopted to compensate).

i have not used a calibration image like yours, will try later with more time. ;)

KGPrime90

Post by KGPrime90 » 18 Mar 2016, 21:04

For what it's worth, I had two of them over the last 11 years running @1920x1200 85Hz, and on both of them for perfect geo there should be about a quarter inch (or so, little less) black bar top and bottom. Both of my displays came from different places, one was fully factory refurb and calibrated when i got it, the other came from a graphics studio and both were exactly the same in this regard. In fact all i have used are crts for the last 20 years and i'm pretty sure it's always been that way to some extent.
It's not always going to "fill" the screen to the very edges on all resolutions. And that was never my goal as much as getting geo perfect. A few cm or so top and bottom and edges is nothing. I took a clear ruler and used a pattern like above and measured everything to get it just right. I was very anal about them looking perfect because i drew blueprints and vector graphics on them.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 18 Mar 2016, 23:57

the reason is that the viewable area is not exactly 16:10, but you're feeding a 16:10 image to the screen. Hence the need for having margins on the top and bottom.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 07 May 2016, 08:59

today is a day of sad news: from what it seems, nvidia have dropped support for analog inputs on their new gtx 1000 series gpus, this make me feel really sad since i wanted to use the fw900 longer with future pc upgrades, i know there are digital to analog converters such the hd fury, but very expensive from what i have read :cry: at least the worth ones that let you use fw900 full features

CathodeSwagTube

Post by CathodeSwagTube » 08 May 2016, 10:04

3dfan wrote:today is a day of sad news: from what it seems, nvidia have dropped support for analog inputs on their new gtx 1000 series gpus, this make me feel really sad since i wanted to use the fw900 longer with future pc upgrades, i know there are digital to analog converters such the hd fury, but very expensive from what i have read :cry: at least the worth ones that let you use fw900 full features
The converter I got to run my P97f+ (at 1600x1200 85hz) with my R9 390 only cost about 60 EUR.