Benq Xl2411Z, covered in red pixelation when enabling 144 hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
navster8

Benq Xl2411Z, covered in red pixelation when enabling 144 hz

Post by navster8 » 15 Jan 2016, 15:58

Hey guys, My benq xl2411z just came in today and after playing around with the colors to get it how I like it I decided to and enable 144 hz. When I enable 144 hz this http://imgur.com/VAVAgik happens and I have no idea why. I decided to try and launch csgo while the colors were like this to see if it had the messed up colors too but it was completely fine. Any idea on why it does this and why it only happens when I'm on the desktop/chrome? Any help would be really appreciated I've been google searching for hours now to no avail. Thanks!

Falkentyne

Re: Benq Xl2411Z, covered in red pixelation when enabling 14

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Jan 2016, 17:17

Are you sure Cs:Go is running at 144hz? I don't play that game so I don't know how but try to run it at 144hz (you can check the monitor OSD , system information to see what it reports).

Also try unplugging the monitor and computer from the wall after powering off and see if its fixed after you replug everything back in. Could be a video card problem also, but that would only be clear if you had a 2nd 144hz monitor to test for science.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 18 Jan 2016, 01:26

That's the type of artifacting you can get when you push monitor overclocking too far. I couldn't say what else might be causing it. It definitely shouldn't be happening on a retail 144Hz monitor in either case.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Jan 2016, 02:49

If that red effect happens and you have instant mode DISABLED in the OSD under picture /display menu, please enable instant mode. if instant mode is enabled and this happens, you can try to RMA the monitor. This should not happen at all.

navster8

Post by navster8 » 19 Jan 2016, 18:51

Falkentyne wrote: that would only be clear if you had a 2nd 144hz monitor to test for science.
Sorry for the late reply, I actually did submit a replace order on amazon and the new monitor came today. I tested both the new cable and the new monitor and it still has the exact same problem. I do have a question though, when I look at this image http://i.stack.imgur.com/e5lgH.png it seems that the port that I'm plugging the cable into on my graphics card is the DVI-I (Dual Link), but when I move the cord to the other slot on the monitor which is the DVI-D (Dual Link) the option to enable 144 hz through the windows options goes away and the max it shows is 60hz. Could it be something with this or no?

navster8

Post by navster8 » 19 Jan 2016, 19:30

Falkentyne wrote:Are you sure Cs:Go is running at 144hz?
Yeah that was my bad, the game wasn't actually running at 144 hz, what I was doing was launching the game when it was 60 hz and then would enable the 144 hz after. I guess the game remained on 60 hz but the desktop and everything else was 144 hz. I tested enabling 144 hz and then launching the game and the red pixelation problem persisted inside the game as well.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Jan 2016, 19:35

Please run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).
Run it in windows safe mode please.

You can get it from here.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/

Run it and then reinstall the video card driver.

if you STILL get red images at 144hz refresh rate, then it's a video card problem and the monitor is fine. It's impossible for me to help with video card problems that are hardware related.

DVI-I is DVI dual link (analog compatible)
DVI-D is dvi dual link (digital only).

Some DVI-D ports, especially ports on the bottom of video cards, may have PINS for DVI-D dual link but may be electrically single link.
If it's still max 60hz after running display driver uninstaller, then that is an electrical single link card slot with a dual link pin arrangement.

navster8

Post by navster8 » 20 Jan 2016, 17:42

Okay so I had some interesting findings last night, after deleting my video card drivers and reinstalling it the problem remained. I then tried to use the DVI-D port on my graphics card and it still didn't have the option for 144 hz in the windows screen resolution. BUT, when I went through the amd catalyst control center it has the option to enable 120 hz, the only thing is when I enable 120 hz through here it down scales my resolution to something like 1250x780 or something I dont remember exactly but its around that range when it's usually 1980x1080. I think that this is an indicator that it's something with my graphics card as it does have the capability of at least enabling 120 hz with no problems it just has to downscale the resolution. Am I right in saying that this clearly indicates that it's a problem with my graphics card or is there still something else that it could be.