Best IPS vs TN for paced gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
bubub

Best IPS vs TN for paced gaming

Post by bubub » 22 Feb 2016, 18:21

Hello, i m currently own a Z35 which has G-Sync, ULMB, refresh rate up to 200 hz, 2560*1080. VA panel, 35 inches...
I am returning it for several reasons, the main reason that i feel the response time a bit slower for my taste
I cannot play fast fps ont it and i still have a very fast TN 120 hz at home, a Benq XL2420T
The comparison was terrible for the 1k screen monitor:
- Its slower, image was blurry as hell while its sharp and crisp on TN 120 hz
- Only G-Sync makes it not worst with no tearing, in the other hand, i got a small amount of tearing on TN

Well i am really disappointed and a bit confused with the G-Sync marketing, it doesnt make screen monitor faster, it help for reducing tearing, stuttering and input lag so much lower than you could not even notice it
Now i am stuck with choices
- XB271HU seems to be a good choice, its IPS with better viewing angles, natural and more contrasted color, better image quality overall, 1400p but i am wondering if i might notice the difference from response time between one of fastest IPS (if it would be equivalent to his own predecessor) and TN

- G-Sync TN but not many choices, they all 24 and 1080p except for Asus PQ278Q and that Dell something (i will never buy Asus screen monitor, customer service is a joke and too many qc issues)

- 144 hz TN screen monitor, non G-Sync like Benq XL2411Z, is it considered as a great monitor?
Is there any better alternative in 144 hz non G-Sync screen monitor?

Thanks

lexlazootin

Re: Best IPS vs TN for paced gaming

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Feb 2016, 21:10

G-sync might not be correctly set up. Have you been capping your in game fps to fps_max 190? you need to cap your frame rate below the maximum refresh rate to get G-Sync to work properly. If the frame rate gets too close to the maximum refreshrate, it might be enabling V-Sync giving you more input lag.

In your monitors OSD set OD to 'Normal' to get the best experience.

bubub

Post by bubub » 23 Feb 2016, 04:37

Thanks for the input, if i want G-Sync running good, i will need to set one frame below the refresh rate right?
What do you think is it is safe to pick the best IPS gaming screen monitor instead of TN?
I want the fastest but their response times are pretty close, it shouldn't be noticeable right?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Feb 2016, 03:12

>if i want G-Sync running good, i will need to set one frame below the refresh rate right?

Not really, you want it a little lower. If your fps goes too close to the maximum refresh line it enables V-Sync, which will add a lot more lag unless you tell it not too in the driver, but then you might get screen tears every now and then for the fraction of the time it does go over.

Just keep it 5 or maybe 10 fps below just to be safe.

>What do you think is it is safe to pick the best IPS gaming screen monitor instead of TN?

The Acer Predator XB270HU look like a damn nice monitor. It's a IPS, 1440p, G-Sync, amazing overdrive (Low ghosting blur) and really low latency. it looks like a damn good option!
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

I might even get one :)

bubub

Post by bubub » 24 Feb 2016, 17:53

Is it good enough for paced gaming such as Quake 3?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Feb 2016, 20:55

I was looking around and the Asus Rog Swift PG279Q also looks like a good bet. It's pretty much the same but warped in a different package.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg279q.htm

IMHO, these monitors are pretty much the best monitors out and will perform better with less lag and blur then your x34.

Yes, you will be very pleased playing quake 3 on these monitors.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 25 Feb 2016, 02:39

I know one professional Quake Live player (QuakeCon, DreamHack attender) and after trying Asus PG279Q (IPS with 144Hz or 165Hz) he said BenQ XL2410T (TN with only 120Hz) is better. His main complaint was about blurry image caused by slow response time of IPS panel.
I guess some amateur player that had IPS/TN 60Hz monitor will be pleased by color rich Asus PG279Q.

bubub

Post by bubub » 25 Feb 2016, 06:41

I have also this complaint, i suffered from blurry image and ghosting/trailing of VA panel

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Feb 2016, 07:38

Q83Ia7ta wrote:I know one professional Quake Live player (QuakeCon, DreamHack attender) and after trying Asus PG279Q (IPS with 144Hz or 165Hz) he said BenQ XL2410T (TN with only 120Hz) is better. His main complaint was about blurry image caused by slow response time of IPS panel.
I guess some amateur player that had IPS/TN 60Hz monitor will be pleased by color rich Asus PG279Q.
What? who ever said that must of been high :lol:

Benq has some of the worst AMA configurations and the Asus has some of the best i've seen. Unless he had his overdrive turned off and set it too 165hz there is no way the PG279Q performed worse than the Benq.

I have a Benq, the overdrive is horrid and shitty and blurry :lol:

Edit: Here's to quote the review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg279q.htm

"Excellent gaming performance - G-sync, ULMB, fast response times, high refresh rate, no lag
All round performance from IPS panel surpasses TN Film gaming screens"

bubub

Post by bubub » 25 Feb 2016, 08:27

Yes it has everything but i am only focuse about response time and no blurry image at 120/144 hz
My Benq's TN really provides an image without any visible ghosting
Is it same on best IPS gaming screen monitor?