CRT Simulation display on LCD [shadowmask emulation]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lol37

CRT Simulation display on LCD [shadowmask emulation]

Post by lol37 » 29 Jan 2014, 14:43

Hi all,
i would like to know if it's possible to actually make a LCD looking like a CRT, i mean the good old phosphor shadow mask ( or aperture grille for some CRT's ) with the "blurry/glowing" looking image display
it is an undesirable feature for now but i still like it !

shadow mask is a dot-style pixel geometry disposition and aperture grille is a straight continuous vertical line

shadow mask Image
Aperture grille Image

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: CRT Simulation display on LCD

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2014, 14:48

lol37 wrote:Hi all,
i would like to know if it's possible to actually make a LCD looking like a CRT
This reminds me of MAME HLSL.

Given a sufficiently high enough resolution (e.g. NTSC shadowmasks displayed on 1080p LCD), you can map a framebuffer to a shadowmask filter and display what is essentially a low-resolution CRT shadowmask on your high-resolution LCD (using your GPU to process what is equivalent to a highly complex real-time image filter that CRT-ifies a frame). So some emulators are already doing this now.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lol37

Post by lol37 » 29 Jan 2014, 14:50

i'm already using that emulator with that filter and it's great, what about using it permanently?
modifying the color filter geometry would be the only answer to that!

you have also to compensate brightness loss since pixels gap increase, which would be incompatible with strobed monitor display

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2014, 15:07

lol37 wrote:i'm already using that emulator with that filter and it's great, what about using it permanently? modifying the color filter geometry would be the only answer to that!
Technically I think it's theoretically possible if you know Windows driver programming -- you would need to write what is essentially a low level driver that grabs a low-resolution Windows framebuffer, processes it through a filter (perhaps a copy of the MAME HLSL source code), and displays it. Might only work for Windows and windowed games, but.

I know that the GPU were often used for reprocessing the Windows screen -- e.g. NVKeystone used to do this.

Microsoft has made it harder to do stuff like this as of late (security, I think). Overlays to affect screen color is easier (e.g. ToastyX deliner, to utilites like F.Lux).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!