All games have massive Frame Rate Judder.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Sparky

Re: All games have massive Frame Rate Judder.

Post by Sparky » 17 May 2016, 11:33

Other games?

You're trying to demonstrate your performance issue on poorly characterized alpha games. Look up some reviews for your graphics card, benchmark one of the same games in the same way, and compare your results to theirs. Pick a review with a frame time graph.

Also, I explained how to make a graph from the CSV file a few pages back. You're going to need many such graphs to track down your issue, and I can't make all of them for you.

You need to concentrate on eliminating variables, not introducing new ones. There's nothing wrong with your monitor. Hell, you can see the issue on fraps, and that tool doesn't even know you HAVE a monitor.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 17 May 2016, 16:55

Sparky wrote:Other games?

You're trying to demonstrate your performance issue on poorly characterized alpha games. Look up some reviews for your graphics card, benchmark one of the same games in the same way, and compare your results to theirs. Pick a review with a frame time graph.

Also, I explained how to make a graph from the CSV file a few pages back. You're going to need many such graphs to track down your issue, and I can't make all of them for you.

You need to concentrate on eliminating variables, not introducing new ones. There's nothing wrong with your monitor. Hell, you can see the issue on fraps, and that tool doesn't even know you HAVE a monitor.
The alpha games are getting the same frames as any other game... I get 100fps in RUST. It does it on NON alpha games too. I don't understand how to read those graphs like you, none of that really means anything to me lol.

when I play a game with VSYNC obviously it sits at 16.6MS because 60fps = 16.6ms but without it shouldnt I expect high and low variable frame times? I don't understand how frame times are different than FPS because they fluctuate with the FPS so if you have high FPS you have low frame times if you have low FPS you have high frame times I don't get how I can make them operate any differently? This is what really confuses me about frametimes. I know if my FPS is high I will have under 16ms frames but even when I go BELOW 60fps like 30/40/50 I have the same judder its just worse because of low FPS. In a game like World of WArships I can run it on lowest settings holda bout 75fps constantly use only 30-40% of my GPU and CPU have low frame times and it still stutters/judders so even with low consistant frametimes it does it... Like I said before I need to have over 120 or so FPS for a game to look smooth.

Anyways heres a videoI took with my phone and I got the OSD in it so you can see the stats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AklhfoLtrv0

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 17 May 2016, 17:32

You have good eyes!

Half of those frames are slightly longer then every other frame, giving it a jarring appearance, if you got a higher refresh monitor (Try overclocking yours first) or getting a FreeSync monitor it will differently fix that issue!

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 17 May 2016, 17:56

Those percent usage numbers don't mean what you think they mean. You can be completely CPU limited at 25% CPU usage, because some tasks only use one core. It would be better to look a queue depth or something.
I don't understand how frame times are different than FPS
Okay, so you get 100fps in RUST, does that mean all your frame times are 10ms? Here's the last chart I'm making for you, you tell me if 100fps is equivalent to 10ms: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... nteractive

Now start eliminating variables. Does the game run on linux? Test it in the other OS and compare performance. Write a list of every potential problem you can think of, and find a way to test each possibility. That's how you identify a problem, eliminate possibilities methodically. Only once you know the root cause can you properly deal with it.

Taking a video of your screen does nothing but distract you, it's worse than useless.

Vcert

Post by Vcert » 18 May 2016, 10:53

Oh wow dude i have this same problem, posted in another forum but wish i had seen this post first. I believe like other people it is related to the monitor. I would suggest you test a game that is very light weight to discard cpu and gpu bottlenecks like people are suggesting.

In my case, capping the framerate anything between 60 and 120 will cause stutters no matter the cpu or gpu usage.

Also check Unigine Heaven benchmark, play around with the settings to get a high framerate and see if it stutters, because in my case it didnt, the benchmark runs smooth at anything above 60fps, but mouse input in games causes it.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 19 May 2016, 15:21

Vcert wrote:Oh wow dude i have this same problem, posted in another forum but wish i had seen this post first. I believe like other people it is related to the monitor. I would suggest you test a game that is very light weight to discard cpu and gpu bottlenecks like people are suggesting.

In my case, capping the framerate anything between 60 and 120 will cause stutters no matter the cpu or gpu usage.

Also check Unigine Heaven benchmark, play around with the settings to get a high framerate and see if it stutters, because in my case it didnt, the benchmark runs smooth at anything above 60fps, but mouse input in games causes it.
Unigine doesn't seem to stutter, I've tried a different mouse/monitor it did the same thing. I thought it was mouse related too for awhile. What's weird is even cutscenes that arent 60fps stutter. It's really annoying.
Last edited by Jbinn on 19 May 2016, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 19 May 2016, 15:21

Sparky wrote:Those percent usage numbers don't mean what you think they mean. You can be completely CPU limited at 25% CPU usage, because some tasks only use one core. It would be better to look a queue depth or something.
Okay, so you get 100fps in RUST, does that mean all your frame times are 10ms? Here's the last chart I'm making for you, you tell me if 100fps is equivalent to 10ms: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... nteractive

Now start eliminating variables. Does the game run on linux? Test it in the other OS and compare performance. Write a list of every potential problem you can think of, and find a way to test each possibility. That's how you identify a problem, eliminate possibilities methodically. Only once you know the root cause can you properly deal with it.

Taking a video of your screen does nothing but distract you, it's worse than useless.
Thanks for all the help man I'll see what I can figure out, ugh.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 19 May 2016, 15:33

Sparky wrote:Those percent usage numbers don't mean what you think they mean. You can be completely CPU limited at 25% CPU usage, because some tasks only use one core. It would be better to look a queue depth or something.

It looks to me like a majority of that is 10ms with a few spikes which wouldnt correlate to my stutter problem since its every second correct? I mean those spikes are far and few in between. Even if I cap at 100 i still get the stutter when I'm holding a mostly constant framtime.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 19 May 2016, 18:59

Jbinn wrote: It looks to me like a majority of that is 10ms with a few spikes which wouldnt correlate to my stutter problem since its every second correct? I mean those spikes are far and few in between. Even if I cap at 100 i still get the stutter when I'm holding a mostly constant framtime.
Then use v-sync or get a freesync display.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 22 May 2016, 22:40

Sparky wrote:
Jbinn wrote: It looks to me like a majority of that is 10ms with a few spikes which wouldnt correlate to my stutter problem since its every second correct? I mean those spikes are far and few in between. Even if I cap at 100 i still get the stutter when I'm holding a mostly constant framtime.
Then use v-sync or get a freesync display.
Yeah yeah I get it I get it, sparky PM me your paypal and I'll transfer you some cash for your help. Appreciate it buddy.