F.lux

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mang

F.lux

Post by Mang » 30 Jan 2014, 03:39

Hello all,

This is my first post on Blurbusters. I've learned a lot from this website and I learn more every day. Here's a quick e-mail between Chief Blur Buster and I which may help out others:

Me -

Hello Mark,

Beautiful site you have created with Blur Busters. I must thank you for the time and effort you put into it - it is extremely well organized/constructed. Your website has helped me immensely in learning and also applying techniques to eliminate motion blur. I gamed on a 720p 32" LCD T.V. for quite some time, and decided a few months ago to try out the Asus VG248QE.. Man, what a difference it makes. I tried it with 144Hz for a month and enjoyed it, but applying Lightboost via ToastyX COMPLETELY changed my look on this monitor. It is 100% worth it simply for Lightboost alone. I even enjoy it in simple activities such as scrolling on a browser. I play with very high sensitivity and have used a Razer Diamondback ever since I was a kid, so I've become quite accustomed to the maximum sensitivity possible. I have done the 1000hz Windows 7 "hack" to bypass the default 125Hz that W7 locks it at. I enjoy fast-paced FPS games such as Counter-Strike Source and Crysis 3.

Anyways, enough gibberish about myself. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1.) Lightboost washes out colors BAD. I adjusted the nVidia control panel settings as suggested in your Lightboost tutorial. Don't take this as me complaining, because I'd take Lightboost any day over 144Hz ;). My question is - I'm considering sending my VG248QE's to Callsignvega to get them debezeled and anti-glare matte film removed. I have four of these monitors that I purchased, three for a portrait surround setup on my main computer and one for my second computer. Do you have any opinions or knowledge in regards to how much better the image quality and colors are on this monitor with the matte film removed? It seems like in his Youtube videos it's noticeably more glossy and almost IPS-looking (color-wise). I use Lightboost 10% like Vega does, and to be quite honest - his Youtube video of Crysis 3 with the VG248QE's in portrait surround was what inspired me to build this computer and monitor setup. It was love at first sight.

2.) Currently I use a program called "F.lux" which changes the color temperature of the monitor according to the time of day. It is very easy on the eyes (I have perfect eyesight and am young, but I still prefer it a lot at night as it isn't so blinding as the bright blue that usually comes from LCD monitors, and even smart phones). Is this program okay to use along with Lightboost? I've had it running always, while occasionally testing games with it off to compare, and it doesn't seem to affect motion clarity from what I can tell. Right now it's 12:55 A.M. where I am, and the color temperature is "3400K: Halogen."

I enjoy gaming at night and it honestly even seems to make games such as Crysis 3 look much better just because of the way it affects the colors. I'm just not sure if it affects Lightboost motion clarity negatively in any ways. My apologies if this is a noob question. I feel like it doesn't but I just want to know for sure.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Mark -

Hello!

I get so much email that it's hard to find time to reply to all of them.
This would be a great post to post at http://forums.blurbusters.com --
Would it be okay if this gets posted over there? That way, more than one person benefits from the replies.

1. Another way to get better quality strobing, check out EIZO Turbo240 which Vega now uses, and/or upgrade your VG248QEs to GSYNC.
2, F.Lux should be okay with LightBoost, but you may have terrible contrast ratio (e.g. 250:1) since LightBoost robs some color gamut, and F.Lux steals more of the color gamut. There are better-color-quality displays than the VG248QE, it's just that the VG248QE is the most inexpensive LightBoost monitor, and thus the most popular. And there's now LightBoost clones (e.g. ULMB included with GSYNC, Turbo240, etc) that have become far better color quality than LightBoost, but you must pay extra for all of that.

Thanks!
Mark Rejhon

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: F.lux

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2014, 10:53

Are there other F.Lux users here who could chime in?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shadman

Post by shadman » 30 Jan 2014, 15:17

F.lux should be disabled when you launch any game in fullscreen mode. I don't know the specifics of this, but I use it and I haven't seen any difference in games whether forcing the application off before game launch, or just to let it do its thing when you launch a game.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2014, 15:20

shadman wrote:F.lux should be disabled when you launch any game in fullscreen mode. I don't know the specifics of this, but I use it and I haven't seen any difference in games whether forcing the application off before game launch, or just to let it do its thing when you launch a game.
My understanding is that F.lux doesn't work with a game in full screen mode, because the game's full screen mode overrides utilities that changes the color of the display.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mang

Post by Mang » 31 Jan 2014, 05:21

F.lux worked with Crysis 3, I know that for sure. Counter-Strike Source automatically disables it though. I haven't tested it with many other games as of right now.

I loved the look of Crysis 3 with F.lux (Lightboost enabled always). This is on a VG248QE monitor and I believe part of the reason is the color "loss" when you use 2D Lightboost. The colors look much deeper in regular 144Hz mode on this monitor, but 144Hz is sub-par for gaming. Since it's wintertime, it gets dark pretty early here in Michigan. Most of the time when I've been gaming it's been at nighttime so F.lux will be running at 3400K. My "non-technical" opinion is that it simply gets rid of the blinding blue glow that LCD's tend to emit.

Using Lightboost for the first time was mind-blowing to say the least. I now have Lightboost running always, even for surfing the web.