27" Gaming Monitor mainly for CS:GO

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Juin

27" Gaming Monitor mainly for CS:GO

Post by Juin » 01 Feb 2014, 13:37

Hello,
so i wanted to upgrade my current 60hz monitor for a while now since i heard that 120hz+ monitors truly make a huge difference in Counter-Strike:Global Offensive, the game im mainly playing right now.

Right now i have a 27" monitor and i really don't want to downgrade from that so i've looked around for some 27" 144hz monitors with some form of lightboost and i came across the BenQ XL2720Z but since i heard about all the strobe bug issues and it not even beeing available yet where i live(Germany) i am not too sure anymore.

Can you suggest me any good alternatives?
And one question i have with that new G-Sync coming out would that actually make a difference in a game like CS:GO?

Thanks!

shadman

Re: 27" Gaming Monitor mainly for CS:GO

Post by shadman » 01 Feb 2014, 14:44

If you are wanting a list of G-sync, current and upcoming, you'll find them here: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-o ... -monitors/

You'll see that two options you have (sticking to 1080p and 27") are the Philips 272G5DYEB and BENQ XL2720G. The BenQ is said to be coming out Q1, so sometime in Feb or March, at an unknown price. The Philips is reported to be $649 and coming out in "Spring", so you're probably looking at April-June time, though we'll see.

If you don't want to wait for G-Sync/ULMB monitors to take their time coming out, you can always purchase a Lightboost monitor now and use that, though be sure to read up on the pro's and cons of Lightboost as well. Here is a list of those:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 01 Feb 2014, 20:53

Juin wrote:And one question i have with that new G-Sync coming out would that actually make a difference in a game like CS:GO?

Thanks!
If your system is able to maintain 120/144fps at your resolution then G-sync isn't going to help you as it behaves identical to vsync when framerate = refresh rate. In that situation strobing is definitely a good option. I would highly recommend G-sync if your framerate is generally lower than that, though most of the G-sync supported cards shouldn't have much trouble. It is quite expensive at the moment though.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Feb 2014, 21:13

nimbulan wrote:If your system is able to maintain 120/144fps at your resolution then G-sync isn't going to help you as it behaves identical to vsync when framerate = refresh rate.
By now it's well known that capping the frame rate is a solution for this. G-Sync is going to help a lot with input lag. CS:GO is a game where you need very low levels of input lag, and the only way to achieve this with vsync is by capping FPS at least 1 frame below the monitor refresh rate. The result of that is stuttering. So G-Sync definitely helps.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.