Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
whiteweazel21

Re: Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Post by whiteweazel21 » 11 Mar 2017, 02:44

Ugh, so many different 240hz monitors coming out.

On TFT Central, even with the same panel there are a lot of differences, ex PG258Q vs AOC model. BenQ is out, and I think Acer just launched one also. I'm so curious which one has the lowest overall latency. TFT central seems to be done with 240hz reviews for now...will there ever be a full round-up I wonder? I think based on the processing approach of the manufacturer, these monitors may perform rather differently. Ugh...

Well hope that by the time the EVGA 1080ti FTW comes out, some Vega leaks will also be out. Then...hopefully some kind soul reviews all these monitors lol.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2017, 13:48

whiteweazel21 wrote:Ugh, so many different 240hz monitors coming out.

On TFT Central, even with the same panel there are a lot of differences, ex PG258Q vs AOC model. BenQ is out, and I think Acer just launched one also. I'm so curious which one has the lowest overall latency. TFT central seems to be done with 240hz reviews for now...will there ever be a full round-up I wonder? I think based on the processing approach of the manufacturer, these monitors may perform rather differently. Ugh...

Well hope that by the time the EVGA 1080ti FTW comes out, some Vega leaks will also be out. Then...hopefully some kind soul reviews all these monitors lol.
We are going to lag-benchmark the BENQ 240Hz later this spring. Keep tuned.
We'll also try to get other brands of 240Hz monitors too!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 14 Mar 2017, 08:48

Got this monitor yesterday, and tried out 144Hz, 240Hz and 240Hz ULMB and I have to say wow this is amazing. 240Hz alone makes everything feel so smooth. ULMB though is insane, the crosstalk is quite noticeable on the desktop and watching videos and moving windows around, but in game it doesn't seem to be much of an issue (it's noticeable but if you pay attention to mostly your crosshair it's easily missed/forgotten). Area = 000 Intensity = ~10-25 (been playing with a few settings here).

Does anyone have any recommended monitor settings for desktop use that doesn't involve ULMB? i.e. reasonably correct calibration.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2017, 11:45

Comanglia wrote:Got this monitor yesterday, and tried out 144Hz, 240Hz and 240Hz ULMB and I have to say wow this is amazing. 240Hz alone makes everything feel so smooth. ULMB though is insane, the crosstalk is quite noticeable on the desktop and watching videos and moving windows around, but in game it doesn't seem to be much of an issue (it's noticeable but if you pay attention to mostly your crosshair it's easily missed/forgotten). Area = 000 Intensity = ~10-25 (been playing with a few settings here).

Does anyone have any recommended monitor settings for desktop use that doesn't involve ULMB? i.e. reasonably correct calibration.
Just FYI -- that's BENQ Blur Reduction, as that's BENQ's brand rather than NVIDIA's brand.

It works best at 180Hz with some tweaks in Area (much less strobe crosstalk).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 14 Mar 2017, 14:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Comanglia wrote:Got this monitor yesterday, and tried out 144Hz, 240Hz and 240Hz ULMB and I have to say wow this is amazing. 240Hz alone makes everything feel so smooth. ULMB though is insane, the crosstalk is quite noticeable on the desktop and watching videos and moving windows around, but in game it doesn't seem to be much of an issue (it's noticeable but if you pay attention to mostly your crosshair it's easily missed/forgotten). Area = 000 Intensity = ~10-25 (been playing with a few settings here).

Just FYI -- that's BENQ Blur Reduction, as that's BENQ's brand rather than NVIDIA's brand.

It works best at 180Hz with some tweaks in Area (much less strobe crosstalk).
I guess I could use 180Hz for the desktop with the blur reduction. Not a big deal, still not sure what the best brightness/contrast and color settings are though, wish I had a calibrator.

Oh and to clear up my earlier post by 240Hz with blur reduction being insane I meant that in a good way. FPS games with it are damn near crystal clear, and imo the crosstalk in FPSs isn't that bad.

Also side by side comparison of the BenQ XL2540 and the BenQ XL2420TE the overdrive for the XL2540 is a bit weird. Scrolling text definitely leaves a blueish trail, but in games seems to be slightly better than my XL2420TE so overshoot might be more controlled in certain transition and worse in others.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Mar 2017, 14:30

You can fix the blueish trail by changing the OD Gain setting in the service menu!

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 14 Mar 2017, 14:31

Falkentyne wrote:You can fix the blueish trail by changing the OD Gain setting in the service menu!
I know, but I was remarking on how it seemed to be better when using it in games despite it being obviously worse for text.

To be more specific though. For text the XL2540 with AMA=High looks like the XL2420TE AMA=Premium, but for transitions of in between 50 and 200 for gray levels it isn't as noticeable as the XL2420TE when both are set to AMA=High

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Mar 2017, 14:38

This is similar to how Benq Blur Reduction=OFF works in the XL2720Z.
AMA high with blur reduction OFF looks as purple/inverse intense as AMA premium with blur reduction ON.
High is basically unusable with MBR Off, so I have to exploit the "toggle bug" to remove the inverse ghosting (similar to changing the OD gain on the newer monitors).

From what I can guess, and Chief would know more than me, Benq seems to calibrate their monitors for white to black to white ghosting response, to maximize response times for gaming, which causes intense inverse ghosting on closer color shades.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Mar 2017, 14:51

120Hz is best for the desktop. It accommodates all common video frame rates perfectly (24, 30, 60.) The only video frame rate 240Hz does better than 120Hz is 48FPS, but that's a very uncommon video frame rate.

I also would assume the blur reduction works best at 120Hz?

It also consumes less power. Not only the monitor, but also the CPU and GPU. Compositing happens at the refresh rate, so at 120Hz the compositor only works at 120FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2017, 19:42

RealNC wrote:I also would assume the blur reduction works best at 120Hz?
BR is available at all refresh rates on the XL2540, however, there's some users who report Blur Reduction (with certain adjustments in Service Menu) looks best at approximately ~180Hz and under. This is normal, as Blur Reduction needs a refresh safety margin (to allow LCD GtG to settle in darkness between strobe backlight flashes).

Or if you prefer to avoid strobing, there is noticeably less motion blur and mouse droppings (phantom array effect during fixated gaze) at 240Hz than 120Hz.