Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
demannu

Re: Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Post by demannu » 27 Feb 2017, 04:08

so.. can confirm that after rebooting my PC that it reverted back to 144hz and I had to run through the steps again..

something else as well.. Dunno if it gfx card or monitor related but it DID NOT like me minimizing my game.. when I maximized my game again it was really, really choppy.. before minimizing it was buttery smooth however :)

StrobeMaster

Post by StrobeMaster » 27 Feb 2017, 04:23

demannu wrote:so.. can confirm that after rebooting my PC that it reverted back to 144hz and I had to run through the steps again..

something else as well.. Dunno if it gfx card or monitor related but it DID NOT like me minimizing my game.. when I maximized my game again it was really, really choppy.. before minimizing it was buttery smooth however :)
I didn't have any of these problems with an NVIDIA card, but that doesn't mean that the monitor is not to blame here. I guess the easiest is adding a decent 240Hz timing with ToastyX's CRU.
HDMI works better in this respect, but when using HDMI make sure you have set the "HDMI PC range" to "RGB(0..255)" (in the OSD) to avoid crushed dark and bright levels.

Silent Raider

Post by Silent Raider » 27 Feb 2017, 08:09

Indeed cannot say that the GPU is to blame, but after various tests I noticed something weird:
when FreeSync is active (like in the AMD windmill test) I got a stuck/blinking green pixel near the centre of the screen... very distracting, but it disappear as soon as the FS switch is turned off.

Also noticed that blur redution strobe @240hz shown crosstalk (ufo test), while at custom 180/200hz with maxed VT tweak is reduced but adds massive pixel inversion artifacts on the whole screen. I dislike a lot these kind of artifacts (I've returned a XL2730 for that reason) but so far play Overwatch @200hz makes me forget about it 8-)

Still testing

b0t

Post by b0t » 27 Feb 2017, 12:16

Silent Raider wrote:Indeed cannot say that the GPU is to blame, but after various tests I noticed something weird:
when FreeSync is active (like in the AMD windmill test) I got a stuck/blinking green pixel near the centre of the screen... very distracting, but it disappear as soon as the FS switch is turned off.

Also noticed that blur redution strobe @240hz shown crosstalk (ufo test), while at custom 180/200hz with maxed VT tweak is reduced but adds massive pixel inversion artifacts on the whole screen. I dislike a lot these kind of artifacts (I've returned a XL2730 for that reason) but so far play Overwatch @200hz makes me forget about it 8-)

Still testing
what do pixel inversion artifacts look like ? Ive been trying to distinguish a problem with the monitor in the video below BUT I LITERALLY DONT SEE ANYTHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzCOaqLo0jU

Please do tell me if u see ANY kind of issue in this video

Silent Raider

Post by Silent Raider » 27 Feb 2017, 17:25

b0t wrote:
what do pixel inversion artifacts look like ? Ive been trying to distinguish a problem with the monitor in the video below BUT I LITERALLY DONT SEE ANYTHING

That's not what I mean, I don't have that kind of problem
The inversion arctifact on my monitor are alternate vertical lines of different brightness
I put some pics to explain better:

@240hz

@182hz VT1584 (less crosstalk but pixel inversion artifacts)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Feb 2017, 17:47

Yes, that's the same pattern that affected older TN monitors that were run in Lightboost mode or run at the edges or out of specification (Benq blur reduction with VT 1497-1502), etc, and some bad samples at just 144hz. Except in our examples, the artifact was a HORIZONTAL scanlines effect of alternating lighter/dim pixels, rather than vertical as on your panel. So yes I know what you're talking about.

It is an inversion type of artifact, but it's not a MOTION induced inversion artifact like you see on some of Lagom.nl's tests, or on certain color patterns while in motion (some testUFO pages).

b0t

Post by b0t » 28 Feb 2017, 01:25

Silent Raider wrote:
b0t wrote:

That's not what I mean, I don't have that kind of problem
The inversion arctifact on my monitor are alternate vertical lines of different brightness
I put some pics to explain better:

@240hz

@182hz VT1584 (less crosstalk but pixel inversion artifacts)

Second picture looks SO bad. Adding VT did that? Made the UFO so faint compared to the first one?

Silent Raider

Post by Silent Raider » 28 Feb 2017, 05:34

No, it's just not easy to shoot at moving object! that picture is bad but actually is more clear with less trails compared to the 1st
Don't use that images for quality evaluations

b0t

Post by b0t » 28 Feb 2017, 06:18

Silent Raider wrote:No, it's just not easy to shoot at moving object! that picture is bad but actually is more clear with less trails compared to the 1st
Don't use that images for quality evaluations
Ghosting/trailing appears to be much better on 180+vt obviously..but image is less clear than the first one

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Feb 2017, 11:16

Different refresh rates and different Vertical Totals can indeed amplify inversion artifacts to an extent. Interesting that inversion is worse at 182Hz -- maybe it's uncalibrated for that refresh rate. I wonder if there are Service Menu options to adjust inversion...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!