XL2420z lighting review

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
masterotaku

Re: XL2420z lighting review

Post by masterotaku » 18 Feb 2014, 14:18

lol37 wrote:they'll also release with the motion blur technology yeah, that was confirmed by Mark
Never heard him say that (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been waiting for weeks for that confirmation, and I've been looking at all new posts in these threads. Right now I'm struggling to decide between a G-Sync monitor and a BenQ Z. Whatever I get will have to last for years, and I don't want to regret anything. If the BenQ G monitors (especially interested in the 24" one) have G-Sync and their blur reduction instead of ULMB, that XL2420G will be the monitor I'll buy.

Anything to say about this, Mark?
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Haste

Post by Haste » 18 Feb 2014, 14:54

masterotaku wrote:
lol37 wrote:they'll also release with the motion blur technology yeah, that was confirmed by Mark
Never heard him say that (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been waiting for weeks for that confirmation, and I've been looking at all new posts in these threads. Right now I'm struggling to decide between a G-Sync monitor and a BenQ Z. Whatever I get will have to last for years, and I don't want to regret anything. If the BenQ G monitors (especially interested in the 24" one) have G-Sync and their blur reduction instead of ULMB, that XL2420G will be the monitor I'll buy.

I'm in the same boat. Eagerly waiting for any info Mark or BenQ has on this.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

ballen123

Post by ballen123 » 18 Feb 2014, 17:05

Haste wrote:
masterotaku wrote:

I'm in the same boat. Eagerly waiting for any info Mark or BenQ has on this.
Same same!

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 19 Feb 2014, 01:23

FWIW the gsync upgrade chip is replacing most of the monitor electronics. Look at the ASUS upgrade reports. It seems unlikely that it would retain the benq enhancements. It looks like they replace all the components that handle strobe and synch with nvidia hardware.

ballen123

Post by ballen123 » 19 Feb 2014, 15:55

TheRulesLawyer wrote:FWIW the gsync upgrade chip is replacing most of the monitor electronics. Look at the ASUS upgrade reports. It seems unlikely that it would retain the benq enhancements. It looks like they replace all the components that handle strobe and synch with nvidia hardware.
New screen will be native g-sync. not an upgrade kit.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2014, 16:08

ballen123 wrote:Hello again Mr Buster. Will the upcoming BenQ xl2420G have both g-sync and Lightboosting?
All the G-suffix monitors are G-SYNC versions, and would therefore have ULMB.
However, as far as I know, ULMB doesn't have adjustable persistence like the newer BENQ Z-series firmware that BENQ Taiwan has.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 19 Feb 2014, 16:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
ballen123 wrote:Hello again Mr Buster. Will the upcoming BenQ xl2420G have both g-sync and Lightboosting?
All the G-suffix monitors are G-SYNC versions, and would therefore have ULMB.
However, as far as I know, ULMB doesn't have adjustable persistence like the newer BENQ Z-series firmware that BENQ Taiwan has.
Mark,

Is it possible that BenQ will deliver their motion blur reduction feature on their G series monitors?
If the answer is yes,
Is it probable? What are the odds? What are the technological and production challenge in doing it?
Is BenQ aware that people are interested about having this feature present in the G-series?
Is there anything we can do to encourage BenQ to deliver it?

Thank you.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 20 Feb 2014, 11:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote: All the G-suffix monitors are G-SYNC versions, and would therefore have ULMB.
Too bad. Well, the main reason I want a new monitor is I want to get rid of motion blur, so a BenQ Z will do it best.
One website in Spain (pccomponentes) has these monitors listed, but without a release date (except the XL2720Z, which was released some time ago):

- BenQ XL2411Z -> 325€
- BenQ XL2420Z -> 379€
- BenQ XL2720Z -> 449€

A 54€ difference between the 24" ones. The XL2411Z doesn't have a DisplayPort input nor S Switch, but almost everything else is included. At first glance I'm inclined to get the XL2411Z.
It's funny because I had planned to pull the trigger and buy a XL2411T one exact day in october, but two days before that day, Nvidia announced G-Sync, so I decided to wait. 5 months have passed since then, and I'm very anxious, but not enough to buy a still bugged monitor. I hope the XL2411Z will be released and already fixed, but I'll wait for confirmation just in case.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Haste

Post by Haste » 20 Feb 2014, 11:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:All the G-suffix monitors are G-SYNC versions, and would therefore have ULMB.
That doesn't tell if they will have BenQ's motion blur reduction or not.

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 20 Feb 2014, 16:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
TheRulesLawyer wrote:Motion however is great. When loading a game, the low persistence has made be a believer. Coming from a s-ips 60hz(aRGB) monitor its kind of like the first time you get glasses and realize how much of the world you've been missing. Loaded up BF4 and was easily able to track objects while moving quickly. The test UFO looks pretty much perfect on the top half of the monitor- yah it has the bug that is mis-timing the bottom half. Alien eyes easy to see? Check. Text readable on the scrolling map? Check. Even with the bug its still far better than my old monitor on motion. Even the desktop feels more responsive than it did before. Kind of like a visual SSD upgrade.
Yep -- Strobe backlights are how Blur Busters came into existence!

Low-persistence LCDs (via motion blur reduction strobe backlights) are finally arriving in larger numbers (NVIDIA LightBoost, NVIDIA ULMB found in G-SYNC monitors, BENQ Blur Reduction, and EIZO Turbo240). We are looking forward to the era where that a strobe mode is a far more common feature of gaming monitors, including IPS models eventually in the future.

P.S. If cost is no object ($600 USD), don't mind a smaller monitor, and you want strobing, good brightness, and good colors, it's currently hard to beat EIZO Foris FG2421 at the moment, with their LightBoost equivalent, Turbo240. Darn near IPS colors, combined with strobing. A smidgen more input lag than ASUS/BENQ monitors, however.

Wish you have had the new firmware of the BENQ XL2720Z though, as a new Blur Busters persistence adjustment utility is coming for the firmware-fixed Z series monitors! (kind of like a ToastyX utility, but specific to Z series monitors)
Anyone know how to enable the 75-144hz strobe modes? They aren't available be default. Just 100,110,120.
Create a custom resolution, either via ToastyX CRU or NVIDIA "Create Custom Resolution" button. Use the same resolution you are using now, but manually type in a custom refresh rate.

Also, optimal strobe motion clarity occurs at framerate matching stroberate matching refreshrate. And if you are optimizing for reduced tearing, framerate near/higher than stroberate is better than framerate significantly less than stroberate. (TestUFO 'perfect motion effect' effect only occurs during VSYNC ON, so use that for solo gaming where input lag doesn't matter)
I'd like to find a strobing monitor that doesn't have the downside of nearly unusable brightness levels. I know that's a lot to ask, but if I were designing the panel, I'd incorporate a 2nd back light that was only active during strobing to compensate for the dimmer back light. I don't know if this is possible or would interfere w/the strobing. I'm guessing both would need to be strobing in concert or alternating sequence.