XL2420z lighting review

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GhostOrange

Re: XL2420z lighting review

Post by GhostOrange » 20 Feb 2014, 16:55

Haste wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
ballen123 wrote:Hello again Mr Buster. Will the upcoming BenQ xl2420G have both g-sync and Lightboosting?
All the G-suffix monitors are G-SYNC versions, and would therefore have ULMB.
However, as far as I know, ULMB doesn't have adjustable persistence like the newer BENQ Z-series firmware that BENQ Taiwan has.
Mark,

Is it possible that BenQ will deliver their motion blur reduction feature on their G series monitors?
If the answer is yes,
Is it probable? What are the odds? What are the technological and production challenge in doing it?
Is BenQ aware that people are interested about having this feature present in the G-series?
Is there anything we can do to encourage BenQ to deliver it?

Thank you.
I'm interested in this, too, though considering the recent reviews on the colors on the newer Z-model BenQs, I'm skeptical. The Asus VG428QE w/G-Sync is actually calibrate-able to very acceptable color levels. The XL2420 is the same panel, so maybe that will be better than the Z-models.

I have to say though, that at 120-144Hz, over 100FPS on a 1ms monitor w/G-Sync, motion blur quickly becomes a non-issue. I play BF4 religiously and since finishing this build and adding G-Sync to my 2x SLI 770 4GBs I cannot detect motion blur when using G-Sync.

It's so awesome that I spent over an hour just running around the Test Range looking at how insane it was. I keep saying this, but it's like watching live video vs. playing a game. It doesn't look like a movie, it looks like a handi-cam 1080p VIDEO. Water motion is so realistic it's almost an artistic masterpiece.

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 20 Feb 2014, 17:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:One thing that potential buyers should keep in mind, is that I am releasing a Blur Busters Strobe Utility which will only work on the Z-series monitors with the newer firmware.

People who would like to be able to adjust persistence (0.5ms persistence to 3ms) will be very interested in this utility coming soon. This is a much wider adjustment range than LightBoost 10% versus 100% -- it's like getting LightBoost less than 10%, and LightBoost above 100%. This utility, however, will only work on newer shipments of BENQ Z-Series (not yet shipping, but almost).
To be clear it will not work on the VG248QE, then? Wasn't sure if you were just focusing on compatible BenQ models, or if this is limited to BenQ.

srsbsns

Post by srsbsns » 20 Feb 2014, 20:44

Got a Spyder 4 pro. That express was junk IMO. Can anyone else out there measure the contrast ratio of theirs to give me an idea if I just got a bad one or if this is they way the contrast is? Its way far from the advertised 1:1000. Mine is 1:570 calibrated.

With the exception of the contrast I think I found a perfect XL2420Z. Check out that sRGB coverage.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 24 Feb 2014, 11:56

Does anyone know if the XL2411Z will have the fixed firmware, as the monitor isn't available yet?
I can make a preorder for 279€ (until yesterday it was 325€), and I feel like buying it right now. But I don't want to make the foolish movement of buying a bugged monitor, or waiting and seeing the price increase again (like the Eizo FG2421).

Edit: preordering in that website (pccomponentes) isn't definitive (maybe it isn't the correct wording for that), meaning I don't have to pay anything unless I decide to pay in the first 24 hours when it's released on day one, and price may vary until that day.
Last edited by masterotaku on 24 Feb 2014, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 24 Feb 2014, 11:58

Chief you know Patrick McCab? He's on amazon trying to do damage control on the reviews about the bug. Appears to be a BENQ employee.

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 24 Feb 2014, 12:02

GhostOrange wrote: I'd like to find a strobing monitor that doesn't have the downside of nearly unusable brightness levels. I know that's a lot to ask, but if I were designing the panel, I'd incorporate a 2nd back light that was only active during strobing to compensate for the dimmer back light. I don't know if this is possible or would interfere w/the strobing. I'm guessing both would need to be strobing in concert or alternating sequence.
You're looking for a eizo foris fg2421 then.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2014, 12:31

GhostOrange wrote:I'd like to find a strobing monitor that doesn't have the downside of nearly unusable brightness levels. I know that's a lot to ask, but if I were designing the panel, I'd incorporate a 2nd back light that was only active during strobing to compensate for the dimmer back light. I don't know if this is possible or would interfere w/the strobing. I'm guessing both would need to be strobing in concert or alternating sequence.
Definitely the Eizo FG2421, found in the 120Hz Monitors List. You want the brightest strobing, you got it.
I have all four major brands of strobe backlights sitting here (I have ULMB, LightBoost, Turbo240 and BENQ Blur Reduction), and I can definitely confirm that if strobe-mode brightness and color quality is your primary preference, the FG2421 is the winner here in that specific category.

Also, are you aware of my Electronics Hacking: Creating a Strobe Backlight?
Blur Busters started in 2012 because of my Arduino Scanning Backlight research.
Also, good strobe backlights often use voltage boosts (See the Cree Xlamp paper -- 5:1 overcurrent ratio is safe for brief strobes).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 24 Feb 2014, 13:35

TheRulesLawyer wrote:Chief you know Patrick McCab? He's on amazon trying to do damage control on the reviews about the bug. Appears to be a BENQ employee.
Just checked amazon and found this:
A wrote:The Z series features Motion Blur Reduction, which uses strobe backlighting to nearly completely eliminate motion blur in the same way that Lightboost does. The difference is that it is officially supported and not a 'hacky' workaround, and that it doesn't skew the colors as much.

However, the XL2720Z as well as XL2420Z both have a problem with the strobe backlighting at the moment, where the bottom half of the screen will get a faint double image when it is enabled. This is something that will have to be fixed on BenQ's end. I will delete this once it has been resolved.

From BlurBusters: "I just finally heard back from BENQ. They’re leaning towards asking users to send to Service Centers to get the firmware upgraded." Google searches show it affects both the 2420Z and 2720Z.
Patrick McCabe wrote:BenQ's new motion blur reduction uses proprietary algorithms to dramatically reduce the motion artifacts in high speed shooting games by precision control of the LED backlight. Before we released this technology, we had multiple professional gamers test the prototype monitor for feedback, as has been our practice for many years. The technique should significantly reduce the number of pixels that have motion artifacts compared to traditional monitors, especially in the upper areas of the screen. Gamers can also disable the feature if they prefer. BenQ is committed to developing the perfect gaming monitor, and we hope that gamers find the new blur reduction feature as an advantage during fast paced gaming.
B. Wright wrote:LOL. What a spin. 'especially in upper areas of the screen' AKA we mistimed the strobe and are trying to say we did it on purpose. http://www.blurbusters.com/benq-xl2720z ... ix-coming/ (This is the XL2720z, but applies here as well.)
source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1RVCYRBOS ... hisHelpful

BenQ employees, if you read this site,

Why not make an official announcement about the issue present on the currently shipping monitors. And propose an official exchange procedure for them?

This would be a good communication gesture towards the people interested in gaming monitors. These are people that are usually picky about these kind of stuffs and go to great length to inform themselves about the available products. If you choose to keep quiet about this issue and ignore your consumers complaints, it's gonna bite you back.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2014, 13:53

There may be a purpose to the strobe bug: An earlier strobe can have less input lag. However, it creates the strobe crosstalk problem. There may be a pick-your-poison fight over the strobe timing issue and the input lag.

Either way, it'll be fully adjustable to user preference with the upcoming Blur Busters Strobe Utility (coming March 2014).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ballen123

Post by ballen123 » 24 Feb 2014, 14:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There may be a purpose to the strobe bug: An earlier strobe can have less input lag. However, it creates the strobe crosstalk problem. There may be a pick-your-poison fight over the strobe timing issue and the input lag.

Either way, it'll be fully adjustable to user preference with the upcoming Blur Busters Strobe Utility (coming March 2014).
Hello again! I am sorry to bother you so often, lol. I wonder if I can buy the xl2411z without worrying about the bug. Thanks :)