XL2420z lighting review

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TheRulesLawyer

Re: XL2420z lighting review

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 24 Feb 2014, 15:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There may be a purpose to the strobe bug: An earlier strobe can have less input lag. However, it creates the strobe crosstalk problem. There may be a pick-your-poison fight over the strobe timing issue and the input lag.

Either way, it'll be fully adjustable to user preference with the upcoming Blur Busters Strobe Utility (coming March 2014).
Which we'll need the new firmware for anyways. :\ We're talking what 2-3ms timing difference between where they have it and the middle of the screen, right?

ballen123

Post by ballen123 » 24 Feb 2014, 16:06

TheRulesLawyer wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:There may be a purpose to the strobe bug: An earlier strobe can have less input lag. However, it creates the strobe crosstalk problem. There may be a pick-your-poison fight over the strobe timing issue and the input lag.

Either way, it'll be fully adjustable to user preference with the upcoming Blur Busters Strobe Utility (coming March 2014).
Which we'll need the new firmware for anyways. :\ We're talking what 2-3ms timing difference between where they have it and the middle of the screen, right?
Do XL2411z have the new firmware?

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 24 Feb 2014, 18:23

ballen123 wrote:Do XL2411z have the new firmware?
I think we should assume it has the buggy firmware until proven otherwise.

Haste

Post by Haste » 24 Feb 2014, 19:11

TheRulesLawyer wrote:
Better safe than sorry.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

ballen123

Post by ballen123 » 24 Feb 2014, 19:25

Haste wrote:
TheRulesLawyer wrote:
Better safe than sorry.
This is insane. Why dont they just FIX the problem. Do they want to trick customers?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2014, 16:00

ballen123 wrote:This is insane. Why dont they just FIX the problem. Do they want to trick customers?
In BENQ's viewpoint, they do not view it as a bug -- an earlier strobe reduces input lag by 2ms but worsens strobe crosstalk (double-image effect). I feel that was a mistake without giving users an adjustable option, and I have repeatedly told BENQ I fully consider this to be a bug (despite BENQ's protests at my use of the "bug" wording.). People around here who use LightBoost and like the CRT motion effect, immediately notices the problem and is unplayable.

Some people don't notice it instantly. Much like some people hate tearing, and other people don't see tearing. And much like how some people see a major LightBoost improvement, and others don't see a major LightBoost improvement. The bug prevents the improvement from being as big as it should be (to my eyes).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 02 Mar 2014, 16:27

Ugh. Appalling, but not surprising. Gaming seems like an afterthought to most manufacturers. I almost wish I'd never even played a PC game. Hoping for them to get their act together year after year is maddening.

Cyberdk

Post by Cyberdk » 06 Mar 2014, 03:44

hi i just joined the forum, but been following the site for some time. I just got the xl2420z here in DK.
They just arrived in the shops, didnt see them whole february, until middle of last week.
Mine is still model from december and Rev: 00-120-BA.
As some of you mention here the colors are terrible first time i turn on the screen, black level is terrible to.
But thx to srsbsn calibration profile colors looks better, but still blacks arent good enough.
My 5-6 years old samsung p2450 has better blacks.
Tried the blur reduction function and cant stand too play with it for some reason and it looks so greyish for me, so i guess even if it has the bug it dont matter for me as i cant play with it on.
But i will keep it for gaming, since my eyes have it a lot better looking at benq
Its sharper picture, a little more natural color (still not perfect) after calibration and more fluid motion and i dont get so tired in my eyes, compared to samsung.
Still samsung stays there for web browsing etc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Mar 2014, 03:50

UPDATE: As of today March 5th, 2014:
BENQ USA is aware. As of today March 5th there is now a solution forthcoming for users who want to use Blur Busters Strobe Utility. News forthcoming.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 07 Mar 2014, 18:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:UPDATE: As of today March 5th, 2014:
BENQ USA is aware. As of today March 5th there is now a solution forthcoming for users who want to use Blur Busters Strobe Utility. News forthcoming.
Good news. However it would be nice to hear it from BenQ direct. Not that I don't believe you, but its easy to backpedal from non-public statements.