Is this translucent trailing normal during a motion test?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is this translucent trailing normal during a motion test

Post by RealNC » 20 Dec 2017, 17:44

The "standard" setting seems to be better with high refresh rates. The "advanced" setting seems better when running 60Hz. This was mentioned in the PC Monitors review:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewson ... onsiveness

So try and see if setting it to "standard" results in better motion.

As for color quality, there shouldn't be any differences, but some of the 240Hz monitors seems to sometimes show faint vertical or horizontal across the screen. I'm not 100% is all of them have such issues or only specific models. So if you do buy the Asus, you should make sure you have a good return policy in case the unit you get has these issues.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

wiraxbox363

Post by wiraxbox363 » 20 Dec 2017, 18:55

I have been reading the opinions of buyers ASUS PG258Q on the newegg page, comment from a buyer expert:

Pros: - Good OSD navigation, if not the best.
- Stand is nice.
- Bright panel, I expect this will be a good monitor in very bright set ups

Cons: - Colors are't good, at all. While this is a TN panel, and not a monitor you buy for the colors, when compared to other panels this one is severely lacking.

- Very poor contrast. The monitor cannot pick up details in shadows. This is not something that can be fixed through calibration. I have tried every possible adjustment and multiple calibration profiles and nothing will fix this issue. Dark scenes with multiple gray layers will be swallowed into one shade of black.

- Like other reviews here mentioned, the pixels are small which makes the pixels and black lines between the pixels more visible. Large white areas on the monitor will look like a checkerboard.

- Vertical scan lines randomly appear on the screen. at first I thought this was just eye strain till I come across another review of the monitor.

Other Thoughts: I did not expect this level or poor quality from Asus. I have two TN panel monitors on my desk. a Dell and a BenQ, both 24". I was excited when this moniter arrived and after setting it up on my desk, I couldn't be more disappointed. This panel is unbelievably worse than both Dell P2414H and BenQ RL2460HT.

I will be trying to return this and cannot recommend this monitor to anyone.

I have a question, the less number of colors the monitor processor processes the faster its response time will be?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Dec 2017, 20:30

wiraxbox363 wrote:I have a question, the less number of colors the monitor processor processes the faster its response time will be?
No. Response time and processing delay are not affected by color depth.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2017, 21:13

Yeah, there are monitors with good response but poor processing. And monitors with poor response but good processing. Or both.

The number of colors are not proportional to lag. The bigger variables are TN versus IPS versus VA. And also how the manufacturer processes the picture (full frame buffered processing or realtime line buffered processing -- "Instant Mode" / "Low Lag Mode" / etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!