Help choosing a monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
borngborn

Help choosing a monitor

Post by borngborn » 23 Apr 2017, 14:01

First off wanna say Hey im new here and would appreciate any help on choosing a monitor. I play mainly FPS games competitively but sometimes ill player games like resident evil, Mass Effect, Fallout 4 etc.

But I want help choosing a Good panel for FPS mainly overwatch,csgo,player unknowns, quake etc.

So i was originally going to get one of the 240hz panels out their most likely the benq but alot of people are saying it doesnt make a difference but i do want a better monitor then i have now pixels are dieing So i wanted to know if i should get the 240hz or a 144hz monitor i was looking at

the 24 inch CFG70 by Samsung does anyone have any experience with this monitor would it be good for FPS

Haste

Re: Help choosing a monitor

Post by Haste » 23 Apr 2017, 16:44

borngborn wrote: So i was originally going to get one of the 240hz panels out their most likely the benq but alot of people are saying it doesnt make a difference
People were saying just the same when 120hz/144hz monitors were a novelty.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Apr 2017, 16:51

1. Is competition gaming your priority over better colors?
2. Can you consistently run your games at 200+ frames per second?

If you say yes to both 1 and 2, then you definitely will benefit from 240Hz. 240Hz makes a difference if you can run at the framerates needed -- e.g. 240fps.

If colors are more important to you, you should choose one of the 165 Hz IPS monitors. They are among the lowest-lag IPS on the market, and also support blur-reduction modes too.

However, if you don't mind TN colors, a 240 Hz TN would do well competitively.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

borngborn

Post by borngborn » 24 Apr 2017, 01:41

Yes and yes for games such as overwatch. But the cfg70 I wild like sum more info on is it good for comp gaming or would u recommend a different 144hz tn

knypol

Post by knypol » 24 Apr 2017, 03:01

Here is huge post about c24fg70. Main problem with this monitor is purple trailing - details in link below.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1605507/sams ... uantum-dot

And below is example of purple trailing from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0aUGtwYBHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1zXI0ggZM

Some people who have this monitor claims that they don't see that problem.

borngborn

Post by borngborn » 25 Apr 2017, 12:17

Okay so ive decided not to go for a 240hz monitor for money reasons and am choosing to go with a 144hz panel my question is what are some of the best panels for FPS games. How bad is the input lag on the samsung cfg70 and will the response time be quick enough for games like overwatch. i do play very competitively i am not a casual gamer by any means however if i can achiever low input lag and response times with the cfg70 id be willing to try it out i can always return it with amazon. if this monitor is not recommended can someone recommend some other 144hz panels for FPS.

Also I dont not care about syncing technology i do not uses it in any game people say it helps i do not think so and i notice the input lag it creates atleast on my monitor which i hate honestly its a wierd acer model that i cant even find anymore i think it was one of the first g sync monitors to be released

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2017, 12:37

borngborn wrote:Also I dont not care about syncing technology i do not uses it in any game people say it helps i do not think so and i notice the input lag it creates atleast on my monitor which i hate honestly its a wierd acer model that i cant even find anymore i think it was one of the first g sync monitors to be released
The good news is that most of the newer monitors have ultra-low-lag now.

If you play eSports leagues, you probably care a huge deal about input lag -- it is worth mentioning that the Samsung CFG70 is a VA panel which is slower responding than TN panels. Granted, it is definitely a very fast for a VA panel though, so it could be a good compromise for you. And it does have optional modes (FreeSync, blur reduction) although not all competition gamers use that.

Important note: If you ever decide to re-enable GSYNC or FreeSync -- don't forget to use in-game framerate capping slightly below maximum refresh rate, to reduce GSYNC/FreeSync lag. We were the world's first website to discover this GSYNC-refresh-rate-cap input lag back in January 2014 via high-speed-camera. However, we understand it's not always enough for competition gamers / eSports...

If you're looking to save as much money as possible, there are models in the $200 range that appropriately meets eSports-quality input lag criteria. It is very hard to go wrong with certain models of older TN 144Hz monitors, such as the Asus VG248QE frequently found used for around $200. Even though several years old now, it runs in an equivalent of instant mode by default, similar lag to current Zowie TN and ASUS ROG TN monitors used in eSports.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

borngborn

Post by borngborn » 25 Apr 2017, 21:08

Thanks for your input i probably try out the 27inch verison of the cfg70 i heard that it has less issues most of the time. the input lag cant be worse then the monitor i have now if i end up sending it back what do your think would be a good option i was leaning toward the benq 2430z as a second choice

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Apr 2017, 20:00

You're welcome!
For easy comparative purposes, here's the monitors you've mentioned, in both 24" and 27"

borngborn

Post by borngborn » 30 Apr 2017, 21:43

Hey i got the c27fg70 manufacturer date January 2017 and is suffering from the purple artificat issue very badly im getting a replacement from amazon but if that doesnt go well can anyone suggest some good competitive fps monitors