asus vg248qe gsync version is here...should I?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
yoryocor

asus vg248qe gsync version is here...should I?

Post by yoryocor » 17 Feb 2014, 05:55

The gsync version finally appeared here in germany, for €529 euros.
Does anybody know if it is the same panel as before? Any changes besides gsync? Do you like your 248qe?

I am torn between this, the upcoming benq xl2420g and the eizo fs2421.

Anyone with experience with any of these screens (older 2420, obviously) feel free to opine! Just want a good all round experience.

Is the benq already better than the asus? Worth waiting for?
Is the lag chain of the TNs that much better than the eizo?
Are the blacks n colors of the asus as ugly as some say?

Cheerio

sharknice

Re: asus vg248qe gsync version is here...should I?

Post by sharknice » 17 Feb 2014, 14:11

yoryocor wrote:The gsync version finally appeared here in germany, for €529 euros.
Does anybody know if it is the same panel as before? Any changes besides gsync? Do you like your 248qe?

Anyone with experience with any of these screens (older 2420, obviously) feel free to opine! Just want a good all round experience.

Is the benq already better than the asus? Worth waiting for?
Is the lag chain of the TNs that much better than the eizo?
Are the blacks n colors of the asus as ugly as some say?

Cheerio
I haven't had the benq or the eizo, but I'm using a GSYNC upgraded 248qe. I would never go back to a non-GSYNC monitor. It makes games with inconsistent frame rates sooooo much smoother. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and StarCraft 2 are my most played games and they are both very CPU heavy games that never consistently get 120 FPS even with a 4770k overclocked to 4.6GHz.

Chivalry usually runs at 120 fps but randomly dips to the 90s or even lower during big battles. Before I used GSYNC this was super annoying and made it hard to aim, but with GSYNC I hardly even notice and my aim is always smooth.
StarCraft 2 always starts out with a really high frame rate then goes down as the game goes on. By the end of big games the frame rate will be below 60 fps. GSYNC keeps it looking smooth the entire time.

I love the clarity of low persistence, but with some games it just isn't possible. And having the option to use GSYNC is huge for those games.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2014, 15:26

yoryocor wrote:The gsync version finally appeared here in germany, for €529 euros.

Consider the current GPU horsepower you have, and the games you play.
If you're going to play games at mainly triple-digit frame rates needed to make strobing look really good, the FG2421 is tempting.
If you're stuck at double-digit frame rates, GSYNC really helps.

GSYNC helps lower/stutter frame rates the most, while strobing (low persistence) helps high/consistent frame rates. (You want framerate matching refreshrate matching stroberate).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yoryocor

Post by yoryocor » 17 Feb 2014, 18:19

So has eizo made any noises about making a gsync monitor? Twould be sweetest of all!
Or any idea when the benq is out?

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 19 Feb 2014, 17:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Consider the current GPU horsepower you have, and the games you play.
If you're going to play games at mainly triple-digit frame rates needed to make strobing look really good, the FG2421 is tempting.
If you're stuck at double-digit frame rates, GSYNC really helps.

GSYNC helps lower/stutter frame rates the most, while strobing (low persistence) helps high/consistent frame rates. (You want framerate matching refreshrate matching stroberate).
I have to say that while G-Sync rocks for those in double-digits, it's like a nice, thick layer of icing on the cake for triple-digits. I never thought it could really look better than 148FPS, but honestly the input lag change alone makes G-Sync worth it. Not only is there extremely fluid motion (even more so than 144/144) it feels more "immediate" with your controls. The input lag was fine before, but when you play with G-Sync, then without you'll notice it in a heartbeat.

144/144 looked great, but 144 + G-Sync literally makes BF4 look like I'm controlling live 1080p video rather than playing a game. It's insane. Arkham City and ACIV look great with it, too. I've always had trouble focusing when playing third-person games because the depth perception seems to be affected by the character being so close to the screen; it's like it makes it difficult to focus on objects that are far away when you're moving. I have glasses, so it exaggerates this effect. When you're moving, the three-dimensional separation with G-Sync seems far more apparent, which actually adds a stronger sense of realism.

I will not go back to non-G-Sync.

random

Post by random » 03 Apr 2014, 08:45

Does anyone know where i could find the kit ?

I noticed the gsync announcement but later i wasnt keeping touch with anything related to pc and ive noticed the diy kits being sold a few days ago when they were already sold out on the official site.