I got my new Acer Predator XB272 G-Sync in today!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
tianGO

Re: I got my new Acer Predator XB272 G-Sync in today!

Post by tianGO » 16 Apr 2018, 09:48

lexlazootin wrote:Have you tried using a pixel unstucker like http://www.jscreenfix.com/fix.html and pressing on the pixel with your finger?

I guess there is a coil whine but idk maybe mine is broken in or something, i need to get very close, it's very quite and my case fans under my desk are louder that i can't hear it from my sitting position.
I tried UDpixel for a few hours and it didn't fix it.
The thing is, when I noticed the coil whine I thought there is no way I'll keep the monitor.
Honestly, if it was just the pixel I'd try to fix it and maybe I could live with it (since it's not one of those bright yellow or green pixels), but the buzzing is really a bummer. I aim to build a silent pc (already bought several parts) and I'd hate if my loudest hardware is my monitor.

So you're saying that it is not that bad in your case?
I wonder if some of these monitors don't have it at all, or at the very least they have it in a really low degree.
Unfortunately I don't find much information online. I think not many people have this monitor.

I was pretty much set in asking for a refund but now I'm thinking if I should push my luck and see if I get a better unit. Of course I could even get a worse one.

So, do you guys think it's even possible that one of these xb272 doesn't have coil whine at all, or it's a design flaw?
I guess I could try to contact Acer and see what they say about this.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 16 Apr 2018, 10:33

I didn't really notice the first time but i do have the 24.5inch and you have the 27inch, idk why but they could be different. but i doubt it tho.

I have Noctua fans in my case so they are pretty silent. Maybe you got a dud, maybe it needs to break in? i have no idea.

tianGO

Post by tianGO » 16 Apr 2018, 11:04

lexlazootin wrote:I didn't really notice the first time but i do have the 24.5inch and you have the 27inch, idk why but they could be different. but i doubt it tho.

I have Noctua fans in my case so they are pretty silent. Maybe you got a dud, maybe it needs to break in? i have no idea.
Yeah, I don't know. In my experience with graphics cards, when they had coil whine it never went away. But in that case at least they're inside the case, te monitor is right in front of your face lol.

tianGO

Post by tianGO » 01 May 2018, 15:47

I received my replacement xb272 a few days ago.
It has the same coil whine issue.
No defective pixels this time, but it has a "stain" in the lower zone of the screen that is very noticeable on dark backgrounds. I don't know what's the name of that defect, I will attach a picture so you can see it.
Needless to say, I'm super dissapointed.
For various reasons it's very inconvenient for me to ask for yet another replacement, so I'm thinking about keeping one of these.
I wonder if all of these monitors have coil whine but not all the people notice it.
I guess I'm kinda sensitive to that too.
Still I think it's terrible qc from Acer.
Pisses me off that other than that I'm enjoying the monitor. Nice colors, great clarity and I don't notice ghosting while gaming. Image

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 May 2018, 17:37

That's really bad. I'd send it back.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 02 May 2018, 04:05

I've pointed this out 1000s times but people taking photos of monitors should not be allowed. :lol:

It's so easy to manipulate a photo into look way worse then it is.
Omg, look at that clouding and backlight bleed
Oh, it's fine.

These photos were taken two second apart with the EXACT same setting but the top one looks like rubbish. I only point this out because i don't want more people commenting that their monitor has these features so it must be defective as well because i find that so annoying and feel bad for the stores that have to deal with those people.

But that darkish tone at the bottom could be just pressure of the panel from laying flat for so long and maybe it will go away? It's hard to tell.

I have no idea about the coil whine but I'm assuming it only happens on the 27inch?! because mine is either quite down after a while or maybe i got lucky because i can only hear something if i get REAL close and it's extremely quite.