EXCLUSIVE: We have a 480 Hz monitor!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cirthix

Re: EXCLUSIVE: We have a 480 Hz monitor!

Post by cirthix » 17 Aug 2017, 12:55

Xx123456xX wrote:What input(s) does the monitor use? What are its bit depth, color space, and color sampling?
Two dp1.2. 6/8/10bit input supported, RGB colorspace

cirthix

Post by cirthix » 17 Aug 2017, 12:58

lexlazootin wrote:Dude, this insane compared to the 240hz 1080p. So many nice features it's intense. FreeSync, Neighbor Filtering, Nice buttons, Vesa mount, Cable mount and all. Ahh, i need to get some money.

The resolutions and the refreshrates are so spot on i love how you do it, every monitor should do that. Would it be possible to toggle the filtering? I know it's probably really hard to say but would it be possible to swap out the TCON in the future for a OD version?

Also Mark, could you possibly take a photo of the screen at every resolution to see the image quality differences in terms of fadeout and scanlines? The 240hz would get really bad at 200+ and i think it would be neat to see the colour depth differences.

This isn't something i need, but it's something i want badly :) I might need to get a AMD card aswell haha

Wait, there wasn't any mention of FreeSync, was this removed or didn't work?

Damn, this is a good product.
2019: My prediction for mainstream manufacturer 1080p 480Hz
Haha, calm down. AUO just got done with 240hz.
No freesync in this one, the DP boards do not support it.

In my personal unit, the latest firmware eliminates all scanlines which used to appear at 720p and 540p modes. This is not the case with Mark's unit and I'm actively trying to figure out why. I expect to have this resolved soon but probably need to buy more panels to test. 39" does not have the scanlines issue.

overdrive is best done on the input boards, not on the tcon, but this is a matter of opinion.

cirthix

Post by cirthix » 17 Aug 2017, 12:59

masterotaku wrote:
lexlazootin wrote: Haha, calm down. AUO just got done with 240hz.
I think that last year there were news about 2560x1440@240Hz monitors coming in 2017. But the 3840x2160@144Hz monitors are delayed until next year... Everything gets delayed! :lol:

About shipping: from where does it come? I'm in Europe, so if it comes from the USA, customs may intercept it, IIRC.
Shipping is direct from Shenzhen, China.

hammelgammler

Post by hammelgammler » 17 Aug 2017, 13:05

Awesome monitor! Although I really thought it has 480Hz with at least 720p, even hoped it would be possible with 1080p. Sadly I dont have any real use case for the 480Hz mode, and if you "only" want 1080p 240Hz then it seems like the Asus PG258Q would be better suited. I guess 720p 480Hz is not possible because of some limitations?

But the ability to switch from 4k 120Hz and 1080p 240Hz is awesome, especially with the good 1080p scaling!

So regarding blur reduction, it does have the ability to strobe right? Hopefully the crosstalk is acceptable, thats always a bummer on most monitors. I would like to see the strobing and if the non-existent Overdrive is a problem for it. As far as I know the strobing is excellent on the Samsung VA Panel, even at 144Hz. Can it strobe at 480Hz too?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2017, 14:03

Probably end of next week.

(...I have a full time job unrelated to Blur Buster, so I'm essentially doing two full time jobs at the same time. Thank goodness I now have some extra help. I'd like to expand Blur Busters faster so we have extra freelance testers testing multiple monitors concurrently -- for much faster reviews output by 2018...)

Meantime.... I did keep my promise of releasing the first tests before LTT's youtube!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hammelgammler

Post by hammelgammler » 17 Aug 2017, 15:35

Well technically I already saw the monitor Floatplaneclub where the most Videos get released one week early. :D

But besides that you are right. And sorry to bother you, I have the time to wait for the next article no worries you are doing an awesome job!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2017, 17:15

hammelgammler wrote:Well technically I already saw the monitor Floatplaneclub where the most Videos get released one week early. :D
But besides that you are right. And sorry to bother you, I have the time to wait for the next article no worries you are doing an awesome job!
True -- but mainstream tech news sourced us first before LTT. ;)

While Blur Busters has grown somewhat beyond only-hobbyist beginnings.... Blur Busters isn't a million-subscriber YouTube star so it was important, very personally, to me to be the first to break the 480 Hz news. We do need more followers, which will help us eventually ramp up to bigger and better monitor reviews.

The sooner Blur Busters can attract more readers, the more I can buy monitors (...and GPUs...) and time/resources on reviews. I like spending time inventing new testing techniques, so I like to train some extra freelancers (pursuit cameras, etc) to do monitor testing faster, while I focus on inventions instead that I'm still keeping under wraps.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2017, 19:29

cirthix wrote:overdrive is best done on the input boards, not on the tcon, but this is a matter of opinion.
Or even in software/GPU.

Back in the bad old LCD days, AMD Radeon graphics drivers used to do that for LCD monitors that did not have overdrive. That would be good again for cirthix's panel. But AMD removed that feature once LCD panels had widespread implementations of overdrive.

I wonder if someone can write a GPU overdrive filter. It would add input lag but at 240Hz+ it doesn't matter on the Windows desktop, and it'd be nicer to see clearer scrolling text, for example.

And, even, theoretically, I can write a TestUFO software-based overdrive motion test, but it would only enhance moving photos running inside the web browser only.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Aug 2017, 04:22

I don't think it was real OD though (no way to boost voltages.) From what I could tell, it calculated a delta between the current and the previous frame and displayed a modified version of it with the colors modified in such a way that it would cancel out trailing/ghosting.

Sounded better in theory than it worked in practice.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

cirthix

Post by cirthix » 18 Aug 2017, 07:50

RealNC wrote:I don't think it was real OD though (no way to boost voltages.) From what I could tell, it calculated a delta between the current and the previous frame and displayed a modified version of it with the colors modified in such a way that it would cancel out trailing/ghosting.

Sounded better in theory than it worked in practice.
But that is how it works.

Overdrive doesn't boost voltages directly, it picks a new grayscale level to go to which translates to a voltage change after the column driver DAC. The gamma voltage reference table doesn't change on a per-pixel basis (it almost never changes after the initial factory calibration). Overdrive does not help *->0 or *->255 transitions for this reason.