EXCLUSIVE: We have a 480 Hz monitor!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: EXCLUSIVE: We have a 480 Hz monitor!

Post by RealNC » 04 Sep 2017, 08:40

"Let us know in the comments and did you know that square space has this awesome incredible thing you can buy..."

This video was a quick reminder of why I don't watch that channel :P Lots of inaccurate statements, "fixed" in post with text and a blatant advertisement sales pitch at the end.

Why is content like this even popular? I don't get it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 07 Sep 2017, 09:36

Tbh- due to lack of overdrive, its only usable on PC at high refresh rates. For consoles at 60 hz you can then forget the monitor.

Additionally, due to lack of HDMI 2.0 or higher, you wont even be able to use it with consoles like PS4 Pro / Xb1x.

Lets hope some later revisions of this monitor come with proper overdrive circuit, it significantly improves the response times and blur @ 60hz and ofcourse HDMI 2.0+ support.

As it is this monitor is for some hardcore alpha testers...

I think in 1 year we should see a retail monitor similar to this one.

But at least its nice that ppl are experimenting with monitor tech. Maybe it will somewhat accelearate the progress overall which is super slow for pc monitors compared to TVs.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Sep 2017, 20:27

MrBrown wrote:Tbh- due to lack of overdrive, its only usable on PC at high refresh rates. For consoles at 60 hz you can then forget the monitor.
Don't forget this is one of the few monitors that support 60Hz single strobe and 60Hz scanning-backlight(edgelight) mode. It looked usable -- partially compensating for lack of overdrive. All things considered, even this monitor's 60Hz strobed mode is lower-lag than many HDTV's non-strobed Game Mode. You do need a HDMI-to-DisplayPort adaptor when connecting a PS4 or XB1 (or other console) to this monitor.

ULMB does not work with consoles (the ULMB 60Hz hack only works on PCs and emulators). Most manufacturers disable blur reduction for 60Hz due to flicker.

This may not be important to most console users, but strobing can be an important feature for motion-blur-sensitive people. (There are people who get more eyestrain from motion blur than from TN viewing angles or flicker. Most get more strain from 60Hz flicker but there is a subsegment that gets more strain from motion blur instead.)

So if you have been considering this for single-strobe-60Hz capability (that probably will not even be available in ASUS/ACER's 4K120 monitors), get this sooner than later. You wouldn't be getting it for IPS colors or overdrive, but you'd be getting one of the world's most flexible/tweakable strobe backlights (it's open source firmware, after all).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Sep 2017, 20:34

mello wrote:
Vega wrote:That Linus video was pretty painful.
It was, but it has already more than half a million views, which should give a nice exposure to cirthix and his company.
I think our article, with only tens of thousands of views, apparently gave cirthix more sales than Linus' video, though! (At least in the first day or two of either).

Word is from cirthix is that he won't be doing a 2nd manufacturing run, so if you want this monitor -- order it now at http://www.zisworks.com/shop

We don't get any income or affiliate revenue from Zisworks, but we support homebrew tweaking (strobe backlights is how BlurBusters was born -- we used to be http://www.scanningbacklight.com in 2012).

The easiest monitor to order is the fully assembled monitor, via the button. This is more plug-n-play for end users who wants to get a sample.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Glerox

Post by Glerox » 23 Sep 2017, 21:08

Chief,

when will you post part 2 about this monitor? Can't wait for it!
I bought it and I'd like to have more details about it hehe!

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Sep 2017, 18:41

"Keep tuned"

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 30 Sep 2017, 12:55

Hi all,

Interested in this, mainly for the strobing@60hz support. Can anyone advise me on the following?

a) Regarding the lack of overdrive, I'm not clear what sort of an impact this has on visuals. If I go into the menu on my current BenQ monitor and turn AMA to OFF, does that give me an approximation? Or would I need to do something else to defeat overdrive entirely?
b) Does it expose 1080p@60 as a selectable mode? Zis's video only shows @240 and @120. Or is the idea to run at 4k@60 and let 1080p sources be scaled by the panel? I'm thinking consoles, for example, plugged via something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-H ... B004I6IYSM
c) Is this sort of thing likely to be seized at the UK border, given its lack of certification? I've heard kits are exempt, but does it qualify as a kit still if someone's assembled it for me?

Glerox

Post by Glerox » 10 Oct 2017, 11:24

"Keep tuned"

Glerox

Post by Glerox » 30 Oct 2017, 21:10

Chief, I guess at this point you've abandoned part 2 of the ziswork's monitor?
Input lag and strobing capacity review would have been nice though!
I'm looking every day lol. Will stop if it's never gonna happen!

mello

Post by mello » 07 Nov 2017, 08:16

Chief, if possible i would be interested in tests that would show how much of a advantage 480Hz has over lower refresh rates at exactly the same fps (and VSYNC OFF) in terms of:

- total input lag
- lag randomness

So scenarios that i am interested in are for example:

60fps@60Hz / 60fps@120Hz / 60fps@240Hz / 60fps@480Hz
120fps@60Hz / 120fps@120Hz / 120fps@240Hz / 120fps@480Hz
240fps@60Hz / 240fps@120Hz / 240fps@240Hz / 240fps@480Hz
480fps@60Hz / 480fps@120Hz / 480fps@240Hz / 480fps@480Hz

I know that it would take a lot of time to do all of these, but maybe only 1/4 of tests (120Hz vs 480Hz or 240Hz vs 480Hz) would be doable anytime soon ?

Also, do you think that monitor manufacturers will start offering something similar to what zis has done ?
I mean main feature and selling point 4k@120Hz or 1080p@240Hz, but with bonus modes like 720p@300Hz, and 540p@480Hz.