EXCLUSIVE: We have a 480 Hz monitor!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: EXCLUSIVE: We have a 480 Hz monitor!

Post by RealNC » 14 Aug 2017, 17:26

Well, none of that is the case right now. If someone buys a 480Hz monitor, there's not much to do with it.

Strobing can be used right now.

Just because something is very interesting in a lab and/or very niche environment, doesn't make it useful in general. A 480Hz display is certainly very interesting, and I too find it a good development. But it lacks any real use. First we need the technologies that can bring us to 480FPS, then we'll have a use for 480Hz. Not the other way around :)

120Hz OLED + VRR is IMHO the next "wow!" display experience on the horizon. And we shouldn't be overly critical of people like your "average joe" who look at a 480Hz display and say "that's useless."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Aug 2017, 18:37

RealNC wrote:Strobing can be used right now.
Correct. Mutually agreed! :D
Blur Busters was launched, and exists because of strobing technologies such as LightBoost, even though scope has greatly expanded to the "Everything Better Than 60Hz" universe.
RealNC wrote:120Hz OLED + VRR is IMHO the next "wow!" display experience on the horizon. And we shouldn't be overly critical of people like your "average joe" who look at a 480Hz display and say "that's useless."
Apologies for my tone. Every user is great -- and we need to educate nicely, indeed -- the 480Hz news went viral (search "480Hz" on Google News) and it's created an onslaught, y'know?

I've been fighting the equivalents of "Everybody can't see 30fps versus 60fps" since year 1993 MOTION.ZIP (1993, run in DosBox emulator). That's essentially TestUFO 60vs30vs15 in an executable file from year 1993, published on my original BBS and distributed throughout the FidoNet network.

We'll write several very friendly articles that people can share to educate this aspect better -- where people actually figure it out and realize their "that's useless for everyone" phrase (and genuinely believing that, even if it's false) -- should actually be "that's useless for my current gaming" or "that's useless for most current gaming". That's better. :D
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

darzo

Post by darzo » 14 Aug 2017, 22:46

So anything on when this monitor might be available or are we here for the hobbyist discussions without caring about the actual thing we're discussing?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Aug 2017, 01:07

darzo wrote:So anything on when this monitor might be available or are we here for the hobbyist discussions without caring about the actual thing we're discussing?
We're getting the article out ASAP. Patience! Tests take time. If you can't wait, please visit our 240Hz input lag tests. That article has 49 graphs, and took 2 months for 1 of us to do due to the huge number of high-speed video lag analysis (frame-by-frame-stepping for every single 5080 lag samples). We put a lot of work in many of our articles.

What we posted is not the article -- it's simply announcing we now have a 480 Hz capable monitor in our possession, and is now currently being tested.

No, it won't take a month. We're publishing this week.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

darzo

Post by darzo » 15 Aug 2017, 03:20

Will you have anything on when the monitor would be available for purchase? That's the starting point for me. If this is something that would be released two years from now my interest will be diminished. And this is a generally compatible gaming monitor, correct? Saw some strange things on their web site, along with its quality. Have to wonder where Asus and Acer are on this.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Aug 2017, 06:49

Patience. The first part of the review is coming out tomorrow. Which will have more information. I've been revealing too much before the review, IMHO. Finding all the pros, the cons, finding situations that takes advantage of the monitor's benefits better, etc. Testing takes time!

Haste

Post by Haste » 15 Aug 2017, 07:44

Request for chief:

Could you do a remake of this:

But featuring 480Hz!
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

cirthix

Post by cirthix » 15 Aug 2017, 09:12

Haste wrote:Request for chief:

Could you do a remake of this:

But featuring 480Hz!
It looks as you'd expect, twice as many cursors as 240 with one exception. Even with a 1000hz mouse, you can see dropouts where the cursor failed to update within the time window.

@others: Preorder and release schedule goes up on the 17th, chill until then.

Haste

Post by Haste » 15 Aug 2017, 12:04

Oh I know.

It's just because I use the image to educate people. And with the 480Hz photo in there, it would help with the message.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

darzo

Post by darzo » 15 Aug 2017, 12:28

cirthix wrote:@others: Preorder and release schedule goes up on the 17th, chill until then.
Interesting. It's good the testing is being done to determine whether this is a gimmick. Extremely high refresh rate monitors have been done before but they have been poor.