Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 14 Sep 2017, 09:38

grizmo2 wrote:Is there 240Hz monitor with ULMB to 240hz or will it be?

For 240Hz strobing, you'll have to use BenQ/Zowie DyAc brand rather than NVIDIA's ULMB brand.

Currently, the latest-greatest monitor capable of 240Hz strobing is the Zowie XL2546. That said, remember that strobe crosstalk can be a bigger issue (if you're sensitive to it) the closer to the monitor's maximum refresh rate.

That said, what BenQ/Zowie lets yoiu do, is to have a choice of multiple refresh rates (strobing at a lower refresh rate with less strobe crosstalk, versus strobing at a higher refresh rate with more strobe crosstalk).

* BenQ/Zowie XL2540 - 240Hz / FreeSync / MBR -- strobes up to 240Hz
* BenQ/Zowie XL2546 - 240Hz / FreeSync / DyAc -- strobes up to 240 Hz
* Acer XB252Q - 240Hz / G-SYNC / ULMB -- strobes up to 144 Hz
* Acer XB272Q - 240Hz / G-SYNC / ULMB -- strobes up to 144 Hz
* ASUS ROG PG258Q - 240Hz / G-SYNC / ULMB -- strobes up to 144 Hz
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3841
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby grizmo2 » 14 Sep 2017, 12:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
grizmo2 wrote:Is there 240Hz monitor with ULMB to 240hz or will it be?

For 240Hz strobing, you'll have to use BenQ/Zowie DyAc brand rather than NVIDIA's ULMB brand.

Currently, the latest-greatest monitor capable of 240Hz strobing is the Zowie XL2546. That said, remember that strobe crosstalk can be a bigger issue (if you're sensitive to it) the closer to the monitor's maximum refresh rate.

That said, what BenQ/Zowie lets yoiu do, is to have a choice of multiple refresh rates (strobing at a lower refresh rate with less strobe crosstalk, versus strobing at a higher refresh rate with more strobe crosstalk).

* BenQ/Zowie XL2540 - 240Hz / FreeSync / MBR -- strobes up to 240Hz
* BenQ/Zowie XL2546 - 240Hz / FreeSync / DyAc -- strobes up to 240 Hz
* Acer XB252Q - 240Hz / G-SYNC / ULMB -- strobes up to 144 Hz
* Acer XB272Q - 240Hz / G-SYNC / ULMB -- strobes up to 144 Hz
* ASUS ROG PG258Q - 240Hz / G-SYNC / ULMB -- strobes up to 144 Hz

Zowies Benq strobes at 240hz without any issues? :)
grizmo2
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 04:27

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 14 Sep 2017, 12:53

grizmo2 wrote:Zowies Benq strobes at 240hz without any issues? :)

It depends on what you mean by "issues"

Since it's not "zero compromise", does "issue" mean "with acceptable compromises" or "with dealbreaker compromises" -- and this can be like the IPS-versus-TN debate, a personal preference of pros-versus-cons. Some people like the 240Hz strobe mode, and some people prefer to use a lower refresh rate for reduced strobe crosstalk.

All of the 240Hz monitors currently do relatively good job of 144Hz strobing with fewer compromises than strobing on a 144Hz monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3841
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby grizmo2 » 14 Sep 2017, 13:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
grizmo2 wrote:Zowies Benq strobes at 240hz without any issues? :)

It depends on what you mean by "issues"

Since it's not "zero compromise", does "issue" mean "with acceptable compromises" or "with dealbreaker compromises" -- and this can be like the IPS-versus-TN debate, a personal preference of pros-versus-cons. Some people like the 240Hz strobe mode, and some people prefer to use a lower refresh rate for reduced strobe crosstalk.

All of the 240Hz monitors currently do relatively good job of 144Hz strobing with fewer compromises than strobing on a 144Hz monitors.

I mean it just works fine, because its interesting if 240Hz monitors can use ulmb to 200/240
grizmo2
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 04:27

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby ericl » 14 Sep 2017, 13:47

Holy, the BenQ XL 2546 has strobbing up to 240hz ? I would have picked that up instead of the Asus PG258q
ericl
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 14:50

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby grizmo2 » 14 Sep 2017, 13:49

Thats why im askin :)
grizmo2
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 04:27

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby grizmo2 » 14 Sep 2017, 15:54

grizmo2 wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
grizmo2 wrote:Zowies Benq strobes at 240hz without any issues? :)

It depends on what you mean by "issues"

Since it's not "zero compromise", does "issue" mean "with acceptable compromises" or "with dealbreaker compromises" -- and this can be like the IPS-versus-TN debate, a personal preference of pros-versus-cons. Some people like the 240Hz strobe mode, and some people prefer to use a lower refresh rate for reduced strobe crosstalk.

All of the 240Hz monitors currently do relatively good job of 144Hz strobing with fewer compromises than strobing on a 144Hz monitors.

I mean it just works fine, because its interesting if 240Hz monitors can use ulmb to 200/240

If I will use benq and it will be something like 240hz + 180 scrob or just 180hz scrob? I know its hard to underesntad :P
grizmo2
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 04:27

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby open » 14 Sep 2017, 16:26

ericl wrote:Holy, the BenQ XL 2546 has strobbing up to 240hz ? I would have picked that up instead of the Asus PG258q

That can be a good option if you can always maintain over 240fps. I've tried playing on 240hz vsync off gsync off and there is still a noticeable stutter with 240hz when fps drops below 240fps. If benq made a gsync screen I would probably have bought that but ever since i played on my dads bright ass DLP tv I love bright screens with low response time and the pg258q is the brightest by far. There was just something about that DLP. It's been a while now but it felt like it had no motion blur at all.
open
 
Posts: 59
Joined: 02 Jul 2017, 20:46

Re: 240Hz vs 120Hz ULMB for FPS games

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 14 Sep 2017, 16:36

Many DLP projectors have undocumented / poorly-documented support 120Hz, we tested one that successfully did 120Hz:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gigantic-12 ... projector/
https://www.blurbusters.com/benq-w7000- ... z-at-720p/
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3841
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Previous

Return to General — Displays, Graphics & More

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests