Do all TN G-sync monitors have banding issues? Help me pick

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Do all TN G-sync monitors have banding issues? Help me p

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2017, 16:25

Indeed, there are dozen of games that crap-out at >60Hz

GSYNC/FreeSync can really help with that but only with overhead margin, e.g. >75Hz GSYNC to allow a forced-60fps game to successfully fluctuate slightly (e.g. 58-62fps).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 17 Sep 2017, 17:49

ok I am pretty much convinced that I want a gsync monitor now over nongsync strobing one (which also have it's benefeits if I won't be able to get gsync with good quality screen(no banding like dell mentioned before).

So - Eiher way, the best path to upgrade now is vrr/144hz/strobing. Either or combined is great.
Just going 60hz ips would not be an upgrade over 60hz amva.

Any gsync screens upcoming? Especially TN. Maybe AUO have some new panels in the making with better banding? (It's not really a matter of 8bit vs 6bit+frc)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Sep 2017, 18:17

If you want to avoid the banding issue, you don't want a TN panel with 6-bit + FRC to 8-bit. You want a true 8-bit panel.

As for AUO, as I mentioned, they can tend to have poor overdrive implementation, resulting in worse than usual GtG motion clarity, which is why your first choice should be ASUS or Acer.

I think the only TN choice would be the PG278QR (a slightly updated version of the PG278Q, and true 8-bit) at this point, all things considered:
https://www.amazon.de/PG278QR-Monitor-D ... rbust09-21

The original TFT Central review can be found here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg278q.htm

It is, however, the same panel that is used in the Dell S24/S27 models (both of which would be another viable option), I believe.

I'm going to look into the reports of color banding on these models, and get back to you on their validity, because for TN, it's this panel, or the 6-bit panels.

EDIT: For both the ASUS and Dell monitors, I've only seen a few reports of the color banding issue, and only one post that had actual images of the reported issue. Unless I inspected this issue in person, I have no way of knowing if it is user error, a fault with the panel itself, or a combination of both. Short of faulty units, I have a hard time believing it is an issue specific to the panel itself. If you've come across any sources on this yourself (even on sites in other languages; I can use Google translate), feel free to share them and I'll take a look.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 17 Sep 2017, 19:31

That looks like a good monitor for which I am going to keep saving a month or two more :P
However those Dell monitors are also true 8 bit and have terrible banding. I can always return the monitor no questions asked but I just did that with u2417h, so I don't want to overuse the good store policy heh.

The 24" 1080p version is more appealing price wise of course and would probably have better angles due to smaller size of Tn panel, but if 278QR won't have banding and pg248 will, then it's a simple choice.

Thank You all for the help. I must say this is one of more pleasant forums I am visiting. I will search reddit and forums for opinions on this model too(As I am doing constantly for last week!). Hope I can join 144hz master race after all(in a few months)!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Sep 2017, 20:43

What made you return the U2417H? It was an IPS right? The reasons may give me a better idea on what your tolerances are for future communication (I doubt this will be our last).

Since you're so used to a zero glow VA panel with what I assume has no noticeable backlight bleed and a very low black level (especially with your brightness settings), even the best TN panel will be an adjustment.

The best thing at this point is for you to try one of these monitors in person, though I'm not sure if you have any local stores that have them on display.

Anyway, when it comes time to purchase, feel free to come back here for final feedback, if needed.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 18 Sep 2017, 14:17

U2417H had terrible qc (creeking plastics and big uneven gap between low bezel and screen), crushed blacks and ips glow even when looking straight on.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 18 Sep 2017, 15:14

Crushed blacks must have been a preset, setting, or calibration issue on that specific unit, because VA is actually the only monitor panel technology out of three we've been discussing (IPS, TN, and VA) that is known to be at risk of obscuring near black detail.

Just because the top row of black squares are really dark in the lagom test, for instance, doesn't mean it is crushing blacks, it can actually mean it is reproducing them more accurately (lower shades are meant to be barely seen, and if you see them too well on your current monitor, it could mean improper gamma tracking, making them brighter than intended).

As for IPS glow, if you're not happy with that Dell panel (which is probably one of the best non-AU IPS panels around; they used to have "low glow" IPS panels, but they were more expensive to make, and people then complained about the filter used because it caused color shift when viewing at an angle), then you're likely not going to be happy with IPS.

In fact, at this point, I'm not sure you're going to be happy with anything, which is why I suggest you try before you buy, or be ready to make a lot of returns.

I really suggest you look into a VA gaming monitor only (even if you have to go ultrawide or TV for that matter), because I think you're just too accustomed to the VA type to accept the trade-offs of any other panel type; my guess is if you hate IPS, you'd hate TN more (most consider a jump from TN to IPS a picture quality "upgrade," for instance).

I don't think you're looking for what's better (which would mean putting up with the negative traits of other panel types that offer more positives than negatives over VA for gaming performance), per say, as much as I think you're looking for what you're used to, but with more features.

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 18 Sep 2017, 16:40

I also was surprised. Both my iiyama and dell were set correctly to full rgb and dell was displaying full range correctly. Displays set to clone and I could still see more on iiyama. Dell was producing amazing alive colors but anything with shade was either crushed or covered by glow.
I think it was worse than on my u2312hm. Maybe a bad unit. Also. After switching to full range in nvcp, it required a restart of screen.

Again a shame because colors were fantastic and dell felt faster and had less ghosting... Reviews say dell switched to ahva this year instead of od g ips screens. Maybe thats the reason...

Edit: after reading your post again it sounds reasonable. Maybe dell was showing it correctly and my iiyama was showing too much. Dell also showed much less banding but did not passed 8 bit patterns. But results were better than iiyama. I had to return it anyway because of qc on my unit.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 18 Sep 2017, 16:54

Both of these reviews state the Dell U2417H features a Samsung PLS (Plane to Line Switching) panel (IPS-type).
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2417hj.htm
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2417h-u2417ha/

Though the version you purchased may have changed, or may be a slight different model; did it have anything after the "H" in the model name? Also, believe it or not, that model (pending whether or not yours was exactly the same as I linked) is 6-bit with FRC to 8-bit, so it shows you how much better the color reproduction is on an IPS compared to other panels, even if it isn't true 8-bit.

If you have links to the source where they talked about the panel switch on that model, feel free to share them.

My XB271HU monitor features an AU Optronics AHVA (IPS-type) panel, and there is no black crush. Is there corner glow in a pitch black room with a black screen from arms length viewing distance? Duh. Is it intrusive or even visible at 120 nits on regular gaming or 16:9 content with a lamp on? Nope. But would I use it to watch 21:9 letterboxed movies on a regular basis? Nope.

Regardless, you need to either lower your expectations, or stick to searching for what you're used to (VA) with gaming features, or you'll likely be miserable (I've gone through this myself in the past).

EDIT (saw your edit): There isn't going to be an 8-bit monitor that you can buy that will have zero banding in test images; 8-bit color bands. Mine still has minor banding, but I can't show you because you'd be viewing it on your own monitor, so...

silikone

Post by silikone » 19 Sep 2017, 02:51

The banding at dark levels can be attributed to the sRGB transfer function. It approximates a 2.2 gamma curve, but RGB levels below 11 are linear, thus they leave black very quickly.
Not all monitors follow this function. AdobeRGB is 2.2 throughout, and this makes the very dark levels indistinguishable without high contrast ratios.
Most games are made with sRGB in mind, so AdobeRGB is far too dark for comfort.
Still, there is certainly improvement to be made on many G-sync panels. The gamma tends to just be too low overall.