NO way this is normal screent tearing.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Re: NO way this is normal screent tearing.

Post by lexlazootin » 27 Sep 2017, 11:05

Glide wrote:
Frs4ken wrote:Ppl say cap to 1 fps below refresh rate to reduce tearing. This is what i get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeBVfgzIZE
2X worse in person
To reduce latency when v-sync is enabled, not screen tearing.
Na, i think a lot of people believe you can remove tearing by capping below your maximum refresh rate. Of course it doesn't work tho.

Frs4ken

Post by Frs4ken » 27 Sep 2017, 11:27

When i turn on borderless/windowed i get 3quick stutters per second

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Sep 2017, 12:37

Frs4ken wrote:When i turn on borderless/windowed i get 3quick stutters per second
You will get contradicting information from many people.

To get fewer stutters per second, cap 0.1 or even 0.05 below -- not 1fps below.

For example, try capping 0.1 below -- that will be one surge of stuttering every 10 seconds.

You will generally not be able to eliminate this type of beat-frequency stutter without using VSYNC ON or using a FreeSync/GSYNC monitor
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Frs4ken

Post by Frs4ken » 27 Sep 2017, 13:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Frs4ken wrote:When i turn on borderless/windowed i get 3quick stutters per second
You will get contradicting information from many people.

To get fewer stutters per second, cap 0.1 or even 0.05 below -- not 1fps below.

For example, try capping 0.1 below -- that will be one surge of stuttering every 10 seconds.

You will generally not be able to eliminate this type of beat-frequency stutter without using VSYNC ON or using a FreeSync/GSYNC monitor
Should i expect 1 faint stutter or a surge of stutter?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Sep 2017, 14:11

Frs4ken wrote:Should i expect 1 faint stutter or a surge of stutter?
System and differential dependant.

Bigger differences will result in longer smooth periods cycling with bigger surges of stutter.
-- Shorter smooth periods but fainter stutters in between
-- Longer smooth periods but bigger or longer stutters in between.

For more accurate frame capping, the more likely it's a tiny stutter during longer smooth periods.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Frs4ken

Post by Frs4ken » 27 Sep 2017, 17:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Bigger differences will result in longer smooth periods cycling with bigger surges of stutter.

For more accurate frame capping, the more likely it's a tiny stutter during longer smooth periods.
For me it's
Closer to refresh rate - longer stutters longer smooth
Further away - more frequent stutters not a surge

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Sep 2017, 20:47

Frs4ken wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

For me it's
Yep -- that's essentially what I was trying to say. (Sorry, I wasn't fully clear)

This is a normal behaviour with the "Low-Lag VSYNC ON" tricks -- the closer you cap to the refresh rate, the longer smooth period becomes, the bigger the beat-frequency stuttering (bigger stutters), in the smooth-stutter-smooth-stutter cycle that occurs with frame-rate capping. That said, if the game & the frame rate cap is even more accurate, you can get cap closer to the refresh rate before the stutters becomes long -- faster systems with faster GPUs with better engines will be more capable of longer smooth periods before the stutters become bad.

That said, you can bypass all of this, and make stutters disappear (Without adding VSYNC ON lag) by using a variable refresh rate monitor such as GSYNC or FreeSync.

Frs4ken

Post by Frs4ken » 27 Sep 2017, 21:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Frs4ken wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

For me it's
Yep -- that's essentially what I was trying to say. (Sorry, I wasn't fully clear)

This is a normal behaviour with the "Low-Lag VSYNC ON" tricks -- the closer you cap to the refresh rate, the longer smooth period becomes, the bigger the beat-frequency stuttering (bigger stutters), in the smooth-stutter-smooth-stutter cycle that occurs with frame-rate capping. That said, if the game & the frame rate cap is even more accurate, you can get cap closer to the refresh rate before the stutters becomes long -- faster systems with faster GPUs with better engines will be more capable of longer smooth periods before the stutters become bad.

That said, you can bypass all of this, and make stutters disappear (Without adding VSYNC ON lag) by using a variable refresh rate monitor such as GSYNC or FreeSync.
Ok, so yesterday i tried 80 fps on an iMac and the stutter isn't that bad as on my rig. Does monitor quality also play a role? because i really have a cheap a$$ monitor https://www.amazon.com/Acer-V226HQL-UM- ... B00N9VJV0M

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Sep 2017, 02:48

No. The monitor has nothing to do with it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.