Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

AOC AG251FZ 240Hz frameskipping fix

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Re: AOC AG251FZ 240Hz frameskipping fix

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 09 Nov 2017, 10:21

Notty_PT wrote:I understand what you say and no doubts, objectively speaking they are the fastest monitors money can buy. But in my situation, I use to connect a console to the monitor aswell. Those 240hz screens at 60hz HDMI are slow compared to 100€ monitors get my point? If I was to spend 500€ on a monitor, I wanted it to be fast in every situation. Altho it still wins against 144hz on PC gaming, I know it can do better when the 60hz input lag is on par with other models. It will be even faster.

Fair enough.
Current 240Hz monitors aren't optimized for console-gaming. They can do it (and lower lag than most TVs) but indeed, 5ms more lag for PS4 or XB1 is a good consideration for console eSports players. While moot for PC eSports, and those not planning to use 60Hz, it is a indeed a consideration for the most competitive of console players.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby HalfwayDead » 28 Nov 2017, 10:07

Hi again,
I'm very sorry for letting you wait so long. I was kinda busy, sent the monitor back and then was gone for that weekend and then I forgot :D

I did test a bit more though and it only got more and more confusing as I did. https://1drv.ms/x/s!Av9du64LKhjw8iZaHgZS4riXnJx9 I didn't write down everything but just when I found an improvement (orange at the right) because that saved me a lot of time. My strategy was to start out with a low line count (front porch, back porch and sync width) and then go up until I get a good result for the 2nd time. Since the results all seemed to be cyclical good results came back every now and then.
And at first I was excited. I was getting better and better results. Required me to even go up exposure time of 1.3 seconds to capture 2 frameskips. Then I hit a setting with 0 frameskipping. Waited 5 mins and still no frameskipping so I was super happy. But resetting the monitor again with the same settings and all of the sudden there was a frameskip every 95 frames again... So I searched a little further and found myself in an area where the amount of frameskips seems completely random. So I went back to my best setting and tried resetting it like 5 times until I had no frameskips again. That time it didn't last forever though.

So TL;DR:
With some settings there is a different amount of frameskipping every reset. I even found a setting that had a frameskip every 42 frames on one reset and 150 on the next one. So there was basically no way to tell whether some of the settings were good or not.

As for the below 240Hz testing you suggested. I tested some of the best settings as well as the factory setting at down to as low as 220Hz and it was frameskipping at exactly the same rate. No frameskipping at default 200Hz but that's so much lower you might aswell get a 165Hz monitor if you're fine with missing out on 40 frames.
HalfwayDead

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2017, 13:57

HalfwayDead wrote:And at first I was excited. I was getting better and better results. Required me to even go up exposure time of 1.3 seconds to capture 2 frameskips. Then I hit a setting with 0 frameskipping. Waited 5 mins and still no frameskipping so I was super happy.

You tried the same timings again (ToastyX) and you couldn't reproduce this again?

Can you verify that every single number was exactly the same (exact dotclock, exact Horizontal numbers, exact Vertical numbers)? Is it possible one number was off (e.g. refresh off by 0.001? Horizontal Total off by a few, 2040 versus 2080? Wrong Sync numbers even if Total same?)

Is it possible for you to load the same numbers again that you thought was not frameskipping, and experiment with adjacent numbers? Also, make sure monitor overlays are turned off (no menus, no crosshairs, etc).

To help incentivize keeping going further, I'll give a $30 Amazon gift certificate (Dec 15) to the first person to find ToastyX settings that stops an XF270HA from frameskipping.

So far:
AF251FZ -- frameskipping solved
XG2530 -- frameskipping solved
XF270HA -- the one we're trailblazing
XG258Q -- untested
GSYNC 240Hz -- no frameskipping issue
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby HalfwayDead » 01 Dec 2017, 19:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Can you verify that every single number was exactly the same (exact dotclock, exact Horizontal numbers, exact Vertical numbers)? Is it possible one number was off (e.g. refresh off by 0.001? Horizontal Total off by a few, 2040 versus 2080? Wrong Sync numbers even if Total same?)

Yes, the first thing I did when it wasn't skipping for 5 mins was take a screenshot and write it down in the spreadsheet. Image Then I tried setting it to 241Hz to see if it would work on an OC. And it didn't so I set it back to 240 and it was frameskipping again. And I didn't even need to open the resolution panel and change anything to get different frameskipping results. I was just running restart64.exe over and over again and getting a different result every time.
This randomness didn't happen at every setting. The intial test in the spreadsheet are the same every time. But every setting that got better results than 1 every 88 frames, did so randomly.

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Is it possible for you to load the same numbers again that you thought was not frameskipping, and experiment with adjacent numbers? Also, make sure monitor overlays are turned off (no menus, no crosshairs, etc).

No, I sent it back 2 weeks ago. But I did some adjacent numbers testing and monitor overlays were all off but as I said I only wrote down the good results and since most of them seemed to be random anyway I felt like I was gaining no information anymore and stopped. Image
HalfwayDead

Previous

Return to General — Displays, Graphics & More