Looking for a 27" non-TN FHD 144Hz strobed monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
zermak

Re: Looking for a 27" non-TN FHD 144Hz strobed monitor

Post by zermak » 17 Oct 2017, 19:05

I was able to set up a pursuit camera test and I took one good shot.
So here's the Samsung C27FG73 a 144Hz with response time set to fastest: Image
About the crosstalk test: I've inconsistent results, meaning that most of the times in the center crosstalk is pratically absent while sometimes it's there but it seems it happens when vertical synching (back porch?) is shoot. I'll build up a sequences of photos to show you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2017, 19:50

Very good first attempt at a pursuit camera at http://www.testufo.com/ghosting.
(What sliding technique are you using? -- the $0 Sliding Tupperware Technique ;) )
It's a better pursuit than some actual monitor reviewers.

Also, VA panels are very temperature sensitive, so you will have noticeably better pursuits after 30-minutes of monitor warm-up time.

My assessment is that Samsung is generally doing a good job at VA strobing; this is one of the better low-crosstalk images for a non-TN panel; I've often seen much worse. The main complaint with the Samsungs are the purple ghosting hues for dim colors -- are you getting any of those Samsung purple-ghosting artifacts?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

zermak

Post by zermak » 17 Oct 2017, 20:23

Yes, kinda the cheap way: I've made a camera holder with a 12mm cardboard and using a rectangular metal pipe clamped on my desk :)
And you're right I am very happy by the results. I took the photo a 1/160; I've another all around camera to shot with and maybe it has 1/150 to better match the monitor refresh.

I've read about the purple ghosting hues on VA panels but I didn't notice any. Which are the best test and colors combination to spot them?

PS: I am now using the monitor at about 160cd/m2 by lowering the RGB values to the lowest and adjusting them to better match the 6500K color temperature, which in my case are R and B at 0 and G at 15. By the way the monitor gray scale is pretty good overall only adjusting them, of couse I calibrated it after for better results using the ICC profile and the 3D LUT (for MadVR :P).

zermak

Post by zermak » 18 Oct 2017, 08:53

Here is a better pursuit camara shot (better balance and sharpness):
http://zermak.altervista.org/varie/purs ... t_best.jpg
And here is the crosstalk test:
http://zermak.altervista.org/varie/crosstalk_test.jpg