BenQ Zowie XL2540 and XL2546

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
elements

BenQ Zowie XL2540 and XL2546

Post by elements » 17 Oct 2017, 13:53

Hello,

New poster here, I'm seeking some information about these two monitors that I've not been able conclusively find researching this forum. I'm looking to buy a new monitor, and I've narrowed it down to these two due to the 240hz strobed capability. If there are any owners or others who can help, I would really appreciate it!

1. Is the dyac feature any better than the blur reduction found on the XL2540 ignoring the brightness?
2. Can the blur reduction on the XL2540 be toggled by saving one with it enabled, and another with it disabled to different profiles?

Currently there is a decent price difference between the two, so if the XL2546 is just a brighter display with strobing, then I would be tempted to just grab the XL2540. If the blur reduction can be easily toggled using the profiles, then it would make this decision even easier. :D

Thanks!

elements

Re: BenQ Zowie XL2540 and XL2546

Post by elements » 17 Oct 2017, 17:21

I've reached page 29 on this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3056&start=280#p25001 and this poster 'Comanglia' reported that saving blur reduction enabled/disabled on profiles does allow for toggling! (XL2540) :D

elements

Re: BenQ Zowie XL2540 (UPDATE, it coil whine?)

Post by elements » 21 Nov 2017, 13:56

Update: I've been using the benq zowie xl2540 for the last week and love it. While testing the blur reduction, I decided it was not as necessary as I first thought.

I have a small problem that may require me to return the monitor, though. It makes a whine whenever it is at 144hz and above, 120hz is near enough silent. This is at factory settings and after I change the colours etc. I've tried creating 239hz resolution etc without any success. Is there any way I can fix this? or should I return it?

elements

Post by elements » 24 Nov 2017, 21:49

Hey guys. I went ahead and returned the monitor, couldn't risk it getting worse over time.

Now back to searching for a new monitor. I'm thinking the cheapest g sync 240hz, hopefully a nice deal pops up by cyber Monday. :D

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Nov 2017, 23:31

Coil whine doesn't really get worse but i did have it 240hz Zisworks which was pretty loud but my new Acer 240hz doesn't have it at all which is good.

Getting the cheapest G-Sync 240hz is definitely a good idea. they are all pretty much the same.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2017, 17:50

Apologies for missing your original message!
(We do encourage readers to try to answer people's questions, to ease the load on Chief Blur Buster!)

Coil whine noises - I wonder how many decibels it is on the XL2540 and if the newer XL2546 is better.

Also, regarding Blur Reduction, remember, the Blur Reduction quality is better at far below the max Hz -- Blur Reduction looks better at 120Hz than it does at 240Hz in terms of strobe crosstalk.

However, now that you have returned it, yes, a G-SYNC model of a 240Hz monitor has become (around here) a badge of one of the best available 240Hz monitors. Generally, all the 240Hz G-SYNC monitors have been much more problem free. Although many dislike paying the G-SYNC premium, it is truly in our experience that G-SYNC is almost like a "stamp of approval" or "seal of quality". The AOC 240Hz G-SYNC is so much better than the AOC 240Hz non-G-SYNC it's not funny -- the motion clarity in TestUFO is almost twice as clear at 240Hz. (TFTCentral agrees too). The "seal of quality" price premium also apparently provides better non-GSYNC modes (slightly lower lag, better overdrive, and ULMB blur reduction mode), for those who aren't quite interested in GSYNC, shouldn't dismiss a 240Hz GSYNC monitor. We now feel that all of the best 240Hz monitors currently have G-SYNC. Even the non-GSYNC ones are pretty good, but if you're concerned about the bleeding-edgeness of 240Hz, G-SYNC versions can be considered the more mature "Version 2" variants of 240Hz monitors -- improved, less buggy, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

whiteyfu

Post by whiteyfu » 28 Nov 2017, 02:30

I wish I could see how much clearer the 240hz gsync monitors are over the xl2540 I have in person, cause honestly even at 180hz or lower refresh the blurring is pretty horrible.

daggertx

Post by daggertx » 29 Nov 2017, 12:05

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Apologies for missing your original message!
(We do encourage readers to try to answer people's questions, to ease the load on Chief Blur Buster!)

Coil whine noises - I wonder how many decibels it is on the XL2540 and if the newer XL2546 is better.

Also, regarding Blur Reduction, remember, the Blur Reduction quality is better at far below the max Hz -- Blur Reduction looks better at 120Hz than it does at 240Hz in terms of strobe crosstalk.

However, now that you have returned it, yes, a G-SYNC model of a 240Hz monitor has become (around here) a badge of one of the best available 240Hz monitors. Generally, all the 240Hz G-SYNC monitors have been much more problem free. Although many dislike paying the G-SYNC premium, it is truly in our experience that G-SYNC is almost like a "stamp of approval" or "seal of quality". The AOC 240Hz G-SYNC is so much better than the AOC 240Hz non-G-SYNC it's not funny -- the motion clarity in TestUFO is almost twice as clear at 240Hz. (TFTCentral agrees too). The "seal of quality" price premium also apparently provides better non-GSYNC modes (slightly lower lag, better overdrive, and ULMB blur reduction mode), for those who aren't quite interested in GSYNC, shouldn't dismiss a 240Hz GSYNC monitor. We now feel that all of the best 240Hz monitors currently have G-SYNC. Even the non-GSYNC ones are pretty good, but if you're concerned about the bleeding-edgeness of 240Hz, G-SYNC versions can be considered the more mature "Version 2" variants of 240Hz monitors -- improved, less buggy, etc.
How do you think these two compare to the Alienware G-Sync 240hz?

elements

Post by elements » 05 Jan 2018, 19:43

lexlazootin wrote:Coil whine doesn't really get worse but i did have it 240hz Zisworks which was pretty loud but my new Acer 240hz doesn't have it at all which is good.

Getting the cheapest G-Sync 240hz is definitely a good idea. they are all pretty much the same.
Interesting, I don't know what the Zisworks is, but I assume it's a cheaper 240hz? I just bought the Acer XB252Q, but unlike yours, it also has a buzz, I think it could be a side effect of 240hz? I would agree that I am sensitive to these things however, and many might not notice this (or I've been incredibly unlucky). The Acer buzzes more than whines like the BenQ did, and changing refresh rates doesn't affect the whine like it did with the BenQ. Since it's a buzz though, it's maybe more tolerable, but still sucks.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Apologies for missing your original message!

No worries, I read most of your comments on other threads and they have helped me a lot in this already. In terms of the blur reduction mode, I didn't really dislike what I saw, but mouse input felt off and I didn't like it too much. The input lag slider was reduced to sacrifice the image quality for less input lag on the tool, but still felt off to me so I stopped using it. Really, the 240hz alone was good enough for me, and I didn't realise the difference was going to be as big as it was. On my old XL2411T, I used the lightboost method and it was also nice to look at, but not great to play on.

I finally bought the Acer XB252Q and it also buzzes, so it could be an issue of 240hz, maybe? I have an LG IPS 27" and a XL2411T currently, and some AOC's before that, which did not make any noise at all (I'm just speculating tbh). I only really have a sample size of 2 240hz monitors, which I believe use the same panel? So take this with a grain of salt. I am undecided what I'm going to do now, but thanks for the reply!

elements

Post by elements » 05 Jan 2018, 20:12

whiteyfu wrote:I wish I could see how much clearer the 240hz gsync monitors are over the xl2540 I have in person, cause honestly even at 180hz or lower refresh the blurring is pretty horrible.
For what it's worth, I thought the BenQ XL2540 was very good at 240hz non strobed. I used 'high' ama on the BenQ, and now with the Acer I'm on 'normal' as the 'extreme' setting is horrendously bad. Compared to the Acer, I think the BenQ was better, but it has been a while since I used that. So far, I'm not overly excited about the Acer compared to the BenQ when we factor in the OSD, profile switching pad, and my familiarity with it. My opinion could change once I use GSYNC and it's advantages, though.